ESET Sysrescue is a Linux killer.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: ESET Sysrescue is a Linux killer.

Post by Pjotr »

gregoryshock wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 pm There is nothing perfect, but at least if you got something to fight it, you've done the best you can!
Why bother so much with Windows viruses at all? Why make it your problem? :wink:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID2.1
(item 2.1)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

rene wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 pm In any case...

Windows viruses not only do not affect Linux systems, they (in fact, as a result) also not propagate in/through a Linux environment. Maybe you've said it somewhere in the above already but if you're concerned about those backups being virus-infected by being accessible from a Windows system -- then why don't you protect and scan from that Windows system? Why would Linux have anything to do with this anti-virus nonsense?
I think it's possible that one could download something that you thought you could trust, and get it on one of your backups. I can't scan my EXT4 formatted backups with a Windows Machine.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well, it's your hobby; certainly not mine. But in any case then best of luck wasting real resources on phantom-threats...
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:07 pm
gregoryshock wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 pm There is nothing perfect, but at least if you got something to fight it, you've done the best you can!
Why bother so much with Windows viruses at all? Why make it your problem? :wink:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID2.1
(item 2.1)
Back when I was running Linux Mint 17x XFCE, I found your blog site. And I read a lot of stuff on it. I'm not putting you down. I appreciate all the good work you did on there. But I think maybe when it comes to viruses, your maybe a little too proud of Linux. I think as time goes on, I think there will be more and more malware coming our way. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.

It's kinda funny, I live with my parents. Almost every time I have a computer problem, my dad and mom will say: "Maybe you got a virus". "Isn't that the way a virus acts?" sigh...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gregoryshock wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:11 pm I think as time goes on, I think there will be more and more malware coming our way. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.
Perhaps; I don't have a crystal ball. But as things stand now, I'm afraid you're just spreading FUD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_unc ... _and_doubt

Can't really blame you for that, by the way, because I did the same thing (about the same subject) when I was a fresh Linux user myself. But I was spreading FUD alright. :lol:

Look where this fallacy has lead you so far: misery, worries, damaged systems. What on earth for? :wink:
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Not to criticize what you are doing, but if you are that paranoid, you should be running a Windows virtual machine, with an anti-virus installed. Then, when you mount a usb drive, you can scan it for Windows virus' before you plug it into a 'real' windows machine. As has been pointed out, there is no guarantee that even an up-to-date virus scanner will identify all windows malware. The advantage of the windows virtual machine is, in the unlikely event that it becomes infected, reloading an original snapshot will 'fix' it.
Actually getting malware designed for linux to function is not a very easy process. First, binaries must be made executable, which is a process that should make any linux user ask, 'What am I doing?' There are other ways, but by sticking with trusted sources for packaged files, the risk drops to what is essentially zero. Protecting Windows computers is the only reason to check files for malware, and that should be done with a windows anti-virus designed to run on windows. JMO
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

rene wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 pm Windows viruses not only do not affect Linux systems
I've seen some evidence to the contrary (look on YT), but only on systems with WINE or similar. There seems to be a very limited way in which some malicious code targeting Windows can negatively impact Linux. Just wanted to clarify, because absolutes easily cause problems and confusion. Also, just because something malicious primarily targets Windows, doesn't mean it cannot also be written to accommodate Linux.

Regardless, there are in-fact rootkits and what-not in the Linux ecosystem. I think it's important to stress that while we're well protected, we're certainly not immune.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Termy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:43 am Just wanted to clarify, because absolutes easily cause problems and confusion.
Well, they seem to cause you problems and confusion. Trust me, most everyone else is fine as is.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:00 am Well, they seem to cause you problems and confusion. Trust me, most everyone else is fine as is.
My occasionally finding absolutes to be confusing and a problem, which I freely admit, only serves to support my point. Since I've observed over the years a great many times when speaking in absolutes causes problems and confusion to others and myself, I shared this observation where I felt it relevant. I'm hardly the first to realise the danger of speaking in absolutes or 'black and white' thinking, as you'll find with even a brief look online.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Termy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:43 am I think it's important to stress that while we're well protected, we're certainly not immune.
In itself that remark is correct. However, it has no practical relevance, and may lead to phantom chasing like we've seen in this thread.

The practical, real-life bottom line is: just don't install any Windows emulators like Wine, and then you're fine and secure without running any AV crud in your shiny clean Linux desktop.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:34 am In itself that remark is correct. However, it has no practical relevance, and may lead to phantom chasing like we've seen in this thread.
The practical relevance is that people probably should not go about their computing business under the assumption that they're invincible, just as they surely shouldn't go to the other extreme. Like many things in life, I believe it comes down to balance.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Termy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:46 am
The practical relevance is that people probably should not go about their computing business under the assumption that they're invincible,
why not ? Numbers do not lie.
I have been a member here for 12 years (OK minus a few of days), when I joined there was about 65,000 members, now there are just shy of 110,000, for an approximate average number of users over that time of 85,000.

So, 85,000 users X 12 years = 1,020,000 user years, and not one single verified case of a virus infection. (that I ve seen, been here most days)

FWIW, I also checked a couple other forums, Ubuntu for one, and did a search specifically for "verified virus infection" and get no positive results. Only things like this where you "could" get one.

Again, no one is saying Linux is immune, but the likelihood of "actually" getting infected is far, far less than 1 in a million per year, about as close to zero as you can get, and on my "list of things to worry about" it does not even exist. I wish things like cancer were as rare.

Keep also in mind this does not even take into account the users who do such things as visit "shady" websites, click things they should not, or even leave their root directory world writable for how long ? Even they don't get infected, so someone who IS paying attention has little to worry about.

Lastly, a good backup is all one needs, and far more important than any scanner. I still can not believe the people who are left in charge of some important computers like those at hospitals, and pipeline companies getting caught with their pants down...no backup apparently.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:34 am In itself that remark is correct. However, it has no practical relevance, and may lead to phantom chasing like we've seen in this thread.
The practical relevance is that people probably should not go about their computing business under the assumption that they're invincible, just as they surely shouldn't go to the other extreme. Like many things in life, I believe it comes down to balance.
When I started this thread, I didn't think it would take off like it did. :lol: In all seriously we found what was causing me my problem. It was ESET.

I agree with what your saying. I was trying to balance things. I thought it wouldn't be good to keep an antivirus ON my linux system. But I thought scanning it from a sysrescue disc, once in awhile would be a little EXTRA security. I WAS WRONG. :(

Just one of my stories:

I see that some people mentioned WINE, last summer I used WINE for a while. I had a good reason for it. On one of my old computers, it doesn't have enough power to run Windows in VirtualBox for the Chat app, I felt that I needed to run. I was trying it to solve a problem I was having with loneliness. I found out that WINE could do it for me. That app worked great on the system. But as it turned out the people in the chatroom, was too hard for me to form friendships with. So after I left that site I got rid of WINE completely. Anyways that story doesn't really matter. There have been people who have encouraged me to install WINE for a game I used to have. I couldn't get it to work, and after several times, I threw the game away. It was one of those kind that needed Windows XP or Vista to run. For a while I could use it Virtualbox, but as bad luck would have it, the owners of Virtualbox changed something so that Windows XP or Vista or 7 could not run right anymore for me.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

gregoryshock wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:36 pm ...
THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!

haha! just messing around. :mrgreen:

It's funny to follow the thread though.

For me, there's no way in hell I will ever be comfortable just blindly saying I'm invincible forever. I do watch the security and exploit security notice sites as much as I can, I do keep an eye open, and I try to be educated and not do stupid things, and we can continue to just cock out and sling it across the desk like some big baller, but at some point, -it ain't workin' no more! Honestly at this point in time it's the most primo time, more than any other before, for some other jerks to just go ahead and include some lines of code/script that includes the linux infrastructure and suddenly we're just a bunch of dumb arrogant punks. The system is generally good, but even if the attack is just aimed at script kiddies always running open root, or innocent bystanders that might've run some commands that compromised a specific thing, that's enough to at least not be saying it's not even possible that we will ever even be affected at all by something. Obviously most of the attacks these days, they have obviously developed beyond just punks pushing out mischievous attacks, to "organizations" vying for big money, but as long as you just keep winging your bare light saber around like you're some badass, you might be one of the ones to get a couple holes bit in it too. Sure, we come back easy from a backup. And we don't have to pay for the thief ringing $50 worth of gas onto the credit card, but it's more the point that when you wear the t-shirt saying i'm the baddest MF ever, at some point, guaranteed, you end up with the bloody nose, and the other guy spray paints ^NOT onto your shirt. :lol:

Anyway. For someone wanting to do due diligence, maybe not even related to linux at all, there should be no reason to play the baller card so hard, when we can just honestly just put ourselves in the shoe even just to check out the scenario for a fellow user, of course you have to be willing to put yourself in the situation where it's possible you just downloaded that email saying "your FedEx deliver has been delayed", or "You've won a bonus from the Home Depot!", or some other situation that doesn't 100% tailor to your own world view habit.

Or, we can just t-bag the guy for ever asking in the first place.

gregoryshock, even thought the thread goes for overtime, thanks for bringing it out. :wink:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

zcot wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:55 pm [ ... ] and suddenly we're just a bunch of dumb arrogant punks.
And there, then, we have the heart of the matter.

Trust me, simply not giving a <bleep> what others think of you will lead you to many of the better decisions in life -- such as the decision to not waste too much time on conceptual threats which are not in fact real ;-)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:30 pm
zcot wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:55 pm [ ... ] and suddenly we're just a bunch of dumb arrogant punks.
And there, then, we have the heart of the matter.

Trust me, simply not giving a <bleep> what others think of you will lead you to many of the better decisions in life -- such as the decision to not waste too much time on conceptual threats which are not in fact real ;-)
I'M CALLING YOUR MOM!! :lol:
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

gregoryshock wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:36 pm [...]
:lol: I love that subtle Last of the Summer Wine reference, unless that was just an awesome conkadink.

Talking about anti-virus software for Linux often leads to debate in the Linux community, I've noticed, because it unfortunately appears to be a controversial subject. Some people tend to get quite passionate about it. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it's because it's part of the Windows life, yet many of us came here to get away from that? I've noticed it can sometimes make it difficult to have a non-hostile conversation about it.

Failing that, I imagine claiming that you have three compromised Linux machines is itself quite a bold statement that grabbed the attention of some of us.

In any case, I'm glad the issue seems somewhat resolved.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Termy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:58 am In any case, I'm glad the issue seems somewhat resolved.
There was no issue at all except an unsupported since 03.08.2022 antivirus program was used by OP.
-=t42=-
RFH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RFH »

rickNS wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:37 am
The practical relevance is that people probably should not go about their computing business under the assumption that they're invincible,
why not ? Numbers do not lie.
I have been a member here for 12 years (OK minus a few of days), when I joined there was about 65,000 members, now there are just shy of 110,000, for an approximate average number of users over that time of 85,000.

So, 85,000 users X 12 years = 1,020,000 user years, and not one single verified case of a virus infection. (that I ve seen, been here most days)

FWIW, I also checked a couple other forums, Ubuntu for one, and did a search specifically for "verified virus infection" and get no positive results. Only things like this where you "could" get one.

Again, no one is saying Linux is immune, but the likelihood of "actually" getting infected is far, far less than 1 in a million per year, about as close to zero as you can get, and on my "list of things to worry about" it does not even exist. I wish things like cancer were as rare.

Keep also in mind this does not even take into account the users who do such things as visit "shady" websites, click things they should not, or even leave their root directory world writable for how long ? Even they don't get infected, so someone who IS paying attention has little to worry about.

Lastly, a good backup is all one needs, and far more important than any scanner. I still can not believe the people who are left in charge of some important computers like those at hospitals, and pipeline companies getting caught with their pants down...no backup apparently.
Would you recommend any security software at all for Linux, like VPN ect.? If so what would you recommend?
Thank you for your help. RFH
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

RFH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 am Would you recommend any security software at all for Linux, like VPN ect.? If so what would you recommend?
Thank you for your help. RFH
You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html

Return to “Beginner Questions”