Only Two Bars on Mint WIFI

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SUPERFITTER
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Only Two Bars on Mint WIFI

Post by SUPERFITTER »

My Mint will not boot anymore, get a black screen and error message. I will have to write down the error message and post it here.
SUPERFITTER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SUPERFITTER »

I reinstalled Mint 20 and then updated it to Mint 20.3. I updated an upgraded with everything that was available. I can go on line and connect to different websites but I soon lose the WIFI connection. I still get 3 bars in the cone, but it says that I have no internet connection. This is a desktop with three other operating systems: Ubuntu, Win 10 and Mint 20 and they have no problems with WIFI.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

SUPERFITTER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SUPERFITTER »

I still cannot find an answer for loosing WIFI :(
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

please check in your BIOS if Fast boot and Secure boot is enable change that to disable
SUPERFITTER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SUPERFITTER »

I found the problem. I have a different kernel than another computer I have with Mint. I went to update manager and installed the same kernel as the other computer and then rebooted. The kernel did not update to the new kernel. How do I change the kernels to the new one?
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

SUPERFITTER wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:35 pm
Please navigate to Update Manager ---> View ---> Linux Kernels ---> Continue ---> here you can select the kernel you like ... after downloading the kernel, you need to reboot .... during booting hold Shift and choose the kernel of your liking to boot with

For more info please check this out https://www.howtogeek.com/740797/how-to ... -in-linux/

I also recommend to tweak your /etc/default/grub to enable verbose output so that you see what is going on under the hood during booting and shutting down, please check this out https://linuxconfig.org/setup-bootsplas ... -boot-mode
SUPERFITTER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SUPERFITTER »

The problem was the usb ports have not been unplugged in a few years on my desktop computer. By unplugging them and replugging them in again everything is working. I never would have thought that was the problem. Thank all of you for your help.

Return to “Networking”