Sometimes, my computer doesn't shut down or suspend properly.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sometimes, my computer doesn't shut down or suspend properly.

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:39 pmAnd yet, while in the midst of re-downloading programs and files, I had closed the lid. And when I opened it, it gave me the same notification about requiring authorization to suspend. And, when I tried to shut down, it went back to that stupid login screen. So it would appear there's more to this issue than just that.
I came across this topic today dialogue never goes away - "System policy prevents modification of network settings for all users" and the description reminded me of your situation. In that case, it is popping up when the computer is going into suspend which sounds like your situation.

What type of internet connection are you currently using and how are you connecting/authenticating to it?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

WPA and WPA2 Personal. It's a wireless connection.

Also, when I go into airplane mode, the issue still persists.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 pm WPA and WPA2 Personal. It's a wireless connection.
Did you try the suggestions mentioned in the other topic?
MathMachine4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 pmAlso, when I go into airplane mode, the issue still persists.
I don't know that I understand what airline mode has to do with this situation. When one suspends the computer, the wireless is disconnected.
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

In the other topic it says
Look in Session and Startup under the Application Autostart tab.
Make sure Network and Policykit Authentication Agent are selected to run at login.
I don't know where the "Session and Startup" application is. I tried looking in the "Startup applications" application, and I did not see anything I could select involving "Network and Policykit Authentication Agent".
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:11 pm In the other topic it says
Look in Session and Startup under the Application Autostart tab.
Make sure Network and Policykit Authentication Agent are selected to run at login.
I don't know where the "Session and Startup" application is. I tried looking in the "Startup applications" application, and I did not see anything I could select involving "Network and Policykit Authentication Agent".
The person in the other topic is using Xfce. You are using Cinnamon. Did you check this link? Answer #3 seems to indicate it is a bug.

In the other topic, the person says they "unticked the 'usable by all users' box for the settings for my wifi network."
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

I've just applied that change, we'll see how it works in the coming days. However, it would seem that this problem is not isolated to occurring only for network problems.

I recently reformatted one of my USB drives, and have just today found a way to consistently make the bug occur.

Step 1. plug in the drive
Step 2. try (key word, try) to transfer an even somewhat large file to the drive
Step 3. after anywhere from several minutes to several hours, realize this isn't going to work, give up and press cancel, then wait for it to finish cancelling
Step 4. Try to eject the device. I'll see a useless message at the bottom saying "I'm not done ejecting" (like gee, thanks, I know, why don't you tell me when you ARE done?)
Step 5. Wait anywhere from several minutes to several hours for the drive to finish ejecting, only to realize I don't have until the heat death of the universe, then just restart the computer

Now, I will notice that, instead of the computer actually restarting, it has brought me to that stupid login screen.

This is a consistent occurrence. It has happened every single time I've tried transferring a large file *without fail*. And I seriously doubt this is a result of my network, so...

Here's the thing, every time the bug happens, and I try suspending, it tells us SOME application is preventing us from suspending. Is there any way on earth to figure out WHAT application is specifically stopping us from suspending? Without just guessing? Also, is there any way to know why the failure to properly restart is consistently associated with a failure to suspend? Because I never see a message saying "an application is preventing you from shutting down", it just flat out restarts the computer. I mean it, all applications are closed, my browser is asking if I want to reload the tabs I had open, it acts exactly like it would if it had restarted, except it doesn't turn off. It just goes to a weird sign in screen. So like...I'm not sure why A always equals B, it doesn't seem like these two events should be correlated, yet they are.

Sorry, I've just been dealing with this problem for a while and find it reasonably frustrating that even reinstalling the entire operating system and practically starting over from scratch isn't enough to erase this bug.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:29 pmI recently reformatted one of my USB drives, and have just today found a way to consistently make the bug occur.

Step 1. plug in the drive
Step 2. try (key word, try) to transfer an even somewhat large file to the drive
What is the size of a "somewhat large file"?
Does this happen with all usb drives or just that one?
What format is the drive (ext4, exfat, etc)?

It would have been helpful to let us know you have been shutting down after interrupting a process a month ago when you created this topic. That's an extremely important detail you left out. I am off to bed now, but will look at the entire situation again tomorrow.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I went back and read the entire topic again. There appear to be some discrepancies which re-frame how one views this situation. I will make some observations and ask questions that should help us get steered in the correct direction for this issue.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:48 pmIt's a laptop, dual booted, using Linux Mint Cinnamon. When this problem occurs, I find that upon closing my laptop's lid, the screen doesn't actually turn off (go black). Instead, it displays this:
If you can see your laptop's screen while the lid is shut, please let us know how you do that.

Are you putting the computer to sleep by closing the lid or are you using a different method? Many computers will automatically wake when you open the lid. It appears you have your computer go to a locked state when sleeping so when you wake the computer by opening the lid you find your locked screensaver requesting your password to unlock the computer. That is quite normal.

There are a number of people with laptops which immediately resume from sleep a second after they are put to sleep. That is a different issue and at this time I do not know if that applies in your situation. Usually, we recommend trying a newer kernel in those situations, but you would have to move to LM21 to try that solution.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:48 pmThen, after I unlock it, it shows this:
The network icon in that image indicates your system is not connected to the network when you see that message.

A couple of posts later you clicked the details button which indicated org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-ignore-inhibit was the issue. I did some searches on that and apparently there are computers which have been known to disable the network connection
when the computer goes to sleep. That would match your network icon indicating disconnection.

That would also mean the screen you are seeing is a confusing message because you already woke the computer by unlocking the system. This sort of seems to be a chicken-and-egg type of situation. You already woke the computer from suspend so the message telling you that you have to authenticate is a left-over message still in the queue.

I have already mentioned there may be issues with your computer's networking situation. This is likely a firmware or driver-related situation if it is not hardware related. The networking hardware is not responding properly. I have no clue how that would relate to transferring large files unless you are transferring those files from the cloud/internet to the usb drive. Is that what you are doing?

However, after you re-installed Linux Mint, you indicated the following:
MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:39 pmAnd yet, while in the midst of re-downloading programs and files, I had closed the lid. And when I opened it, it gave me the same notification about requiring authorization to suspend.
which sounds like your computer went to sleep when you closed the lid?
MathMachine4 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:48 pmThen, when I try to shut down, it doesn't shut down.
Are you using the Menu > Shutdown option to shut down?

If you are using the power button then it is possible your laptop is set up to put the computer to sleep when the power button is pressed. A number of laptops have different actions for a short-press and a long-press of the power button. That could explain why you are seeing the screen-lock.

Or this could be another issue with the network device. We already know from the information I found previously that others have had issues with it.
MathMachine4 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:29 pmHere's the thing, every time the bug happens, and I try suspending, it tells us SOME application is preventing us from suspending. Is there any way on earth to figure out WHAT application is specifically stopping us from suspending?
We already did. You pressed the details button and it told us which application was stopping the process.
MathMachine4 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:29 pmAlso, is there any way to know why the failure to properly restart is consistently associated with a failure to suspend? Because I never see a message saying "an application is preventing you from shutting down", it just flat out restarts the computer.
I don't understand what you man by a failure to properly restart. There are two different ways to restart the computer. One is a shut down which completely powers down everything. That requires re-powering the hardware to start again.

The other way is to reboot the operating system which does not involve powering down the hardware. That way only restarts the operating system and that is what sounds like is happening in your case.
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

I do sincerely apologize if I have come across as rude, I do genuinely appreciate all the help you have given me so far.

"Somewhat large" in this case is about on the order of magnitude of 100 MB. I haven't tested it rigorously.

The thumb drive was EXFAT, but because it kept getting corrupted, I had it reformatted to NTFS. It's USB 2.0, so that ended up being a terrible decision, but let's not worry about that. This only appears to be happening to this drive.

I was not interrupting any processes intentionally before, this only happened recently (literally right after I reformatted it, which was on Friday). I thought I ought to mention it because now I have a reliable way to make this bug happen.

The behavior is a little different each time I close and reopen the lid during this bug. I think the screen actually is turning black (turning off), but the computer just isn't suspending. But the screen always turns on way faster than it's supposed to, and when I first started noticing this bug, it was happening so fast I had just assumed it wasn't turning off at all.

I am putting it to sleep by closing the lid. I'm very sure it's not suspending, because I'll close the lid and then open it an hour later and find my battery is almost dead, having spent the same amount of charge it would've if I hadn't even closed the lid. So, I am pretty sure it's not suspending, but no, I'm not 100% certain.

I am not transferring them from the internet, I'm transferring them from my computer.

Yes, I am using the start->power->shut down option. Same thing happens when I start->power->restart. When the bug occurs, the only way to shut down is to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. If I use the shut down button or the restart button (they both do the same thing when this bug happens), it goes to that weird screen (the second image I've sent on this thread). If I press the power button at the top right, a pop up box comes up saying "are you sure you want to shut down?", but there's no yes or no buttons. There's just one button, the x button, which makes the dialog box go away. If I instead sign in, it'll login. All the applications that were open before I pressed shut down/restart will be closed. A notification at the bottom will appear saying "printer added". If I open my browser, it'll have a dialog box saying "brave closed unexpectedly, restore?". It'll act exactly as it would if I had restarted, but clearly, the computer did not restart.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pmThe thumb drive was EXFAT, but because it kept getting corrupted, I had it reformatted to NTFS. It's USB 2.0, so that ended up being a terrible decision, but let's not worry about that. This only appears to be happening to this drive.
If a drive keeps getting corrupted, it's usually time for a new drive.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pmThe behavior is a little different each time I close and reopen the lid during this bug. I think the screen actually is turning black (turning off), but the computer just isn't suspending. But the screen always turns on way faster than it's supposed to, and when I first started noticing this bug, it was happening so fast I had just assumed it wasn't turning off at all.
You can suspend the computer using the Menu button (Menu > Quit button, and then click the Suspend button). If you do it that way, you can leave the lid up and check and see if the screen blinks (as if it goes blank and comes right back from sleep) or if it stays black for a while.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pmYes, I am using the start->power->shut down option. Same thing happens when I start->power->restart.
Power? We may be talking about the same thing, but using different terms. If you see a suspend option after you press "power" then we are talking about the same menu options.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pm If I use the shut down button or the restart button (they both do the same thing when this bug happens), it goes to that weird screen (the second image I've sent on this thread).
I'm still searching to see if I can find anything specific or unusual about your computer's Wifi card or driver to give us a hint as to what might be happening.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pm If I instead sign in, it'll login. All the applications that were open before I pressed shut down/restart will be closed.
That is because the desktop session closed. When you log into a new session, nothing will be open from the prior session.

There is Linux Mint starting (the operating system starts) and then there is the desktop environment, Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce, session starting (essentially the graphical part of the operating system). When you are logging in, you are starting a new desktop environment session.
MathMachine4 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:19 pmA notification at the bottom will appear saying "printer added". If I open my browser, it'll have a dialog box saying "brave closed unexpectedly, restore?". It'll act exactly as it would if I had restarted, but clearly, the computer did not restart.
But the desktop session did restart and Brave runs in the desktop session.

I will do some more investigating and let you know what I find.
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

Thank you for providing proper terminology, from now on I will know to refer to it as "starting a new session".

Also the power button in question is the red button with a circle with a line in it. Yes, one of the 4 options is to supsend.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Please do check to see if the screen goes dark and the computer goes to sleep when you use the suspend button option rather than closing the lid. If it does not suspend, or it comes back right away, I would like you to post the output of the following:

Code: Select all

dmesg -T | tail -n 200
Maybe that will give us a clue as to what we can do about this.

Today I found two confirmed bug reports on your wireless driver which sound like they relate to your issue rtl8821ce fails to restart network when coming out of suspend and Wi-Fi frequently disconnects and fails to connect. Also, its Bluetooth stops working until you power-cycle the computer, because it can't even reset the devce. . There are no listed workarounds for either one.
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

It would appear pressing the suspend button does not make the screen go black. Instead, I just see the Linux Mint logo and a clock on screen. I can send a picture if you'd like, but it's really hard to workaround the forum's new 200 KB limit.

As for the output of the aforementioned command, here you go:

[Wed Mar 29 00:50:53 2023] smpboot: CPU 5 is now offline
[Wed Mar 29 00:50:53 2023] smpboot: CPU 6 is now offline
[Wed Mar 29 00:50:53 2023] smpboot: CPU 7 is now offline
[Wed Mar 29 00:50:53 2023] ACPI: PM: Low-level resume complete
[Wed Mar 29 00:50:53 2023] ACPI: EC: EC started
[Wed Mar 29 00:50:53 2023] ACPI: PM: Restoring platform NVS memory
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] x86: Booting SMP configuration:
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 1 APIC 0x1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C001: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU1 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 2 APIC 0x2
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C002: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU2 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 3 APIC 0x3
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C003: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU3 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 4 APIC 0x4
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU4: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C004: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU4 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 5 APIC 0x5
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU5: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C005: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU5 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 6 APIC 0x6
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU6: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C006: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU6 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 7 APIC 0x7
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] microcode: CPU7: patch_level=0x08108109
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: \_PR_.C007: Found 2 idle states
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] CPU7 is up
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: PM: Waking up from system sleep state S3
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: EC: interrupt unblocked
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ACPI: EC: event unblocked
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] [drm] PCIE GART of 1024M enabled.
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] [drm] PTB located at 0x000000F400900000
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] [drm] PSP is resuming...
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] nvme nvme0: 16/0/0 default/read/poll queues
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Starting disk
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] [drm] reserve 0x400000 from 0xf47fc00000 for PSP TMR
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: RAS: optional ras ta ucode is not available
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: RAP: optional rap ta ucode is not available
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: SECUREDISPLAY: securedisplay ta ucode is not available
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] [drm] kiq ring mec 2 pipe 1 q 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu: restore the fine grain parameters
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] [drm] VCN decode and encode initialized successfully(under SPG Mode).
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring gfx uses VM inv eng 0 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.0.0 uses VM inv eng 1 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.1.0 uses VM inv eng 4 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.2.0 uses VM inv eng 5 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.3.0 uses VM inv eng 6 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.0.1 uses VM inv eng 7 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.1.1 uses VM inv eng 8 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.2.1 uses VM inv eng 9 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring comp_1.3.1 uses VM inv eng 10 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring kiq_2.1.0 uses VM inv eng 11 on hub 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring sdma0 uses VM inv eng 0 on hub 1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring vcn_dec uses VM inv eng 1 on hub 1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring vcn_enc0 uses VM inv eng 4 on hub 1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring vcn_enc1 uses VM inv eng 5 on hub 1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] amdgpu 0000:04:00.0: amdgpu: ring jpeg_dec uses VM inv eng 6 on hub 1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] usb 3-1: reset full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ata1.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:00 (SECURITY FREEZE LOCK) filtered out
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ata1.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:00 (SECURITY FREEZE LOCK) filtered out
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:03 2023] usb 3-2.3: reset full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] OOM killer enabled.
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Restarting tasks ... 
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: examining hci_ver=08 hci_rev=000c lmp_ver=08 lmp_subver=8821
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: rom_version status=0 version=1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8821c_fw.bin
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8821c_config.bin
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: cfg_sz 10, total sz 31990
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] done.
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] PM: suspend exit
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Generic FE-GE Realtek PHY r8169-0-100:00: attached PHY driver (mii_bus:phy_addr=r8169-0-100:00, irq=MAC)
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] r8169 0000:01:00.0 eno1: Link is Down
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:04 2023] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: fw version 0x829a7644
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:07 2023] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlo1: link becomes ready
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=058f, idProduct=6387, bcdDevice= 1.00
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb 1-2: Product: Mass Storage
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Generic
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 037374D3
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] usb-storage 1-2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:17 2023] scsi host1: usb-storage 1-2:1.0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:18 2023] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  Flash Disk       8.07 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:18 2023] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:18 2023] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 122880000 512-byte logical blocks: (62.9 GB/58.6 GiB)
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:18 2023] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:18 2023] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:18 2023] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:19 2023]  sdb: sdb1
[Wed Mar 29 00:51:19 2023] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 3
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 22768224 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 23 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845772, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845773, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845774, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845775, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845776, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845777, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845778, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845779, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845780, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 2845781, lost async page write
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 22931616 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 22931856 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 13 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 6290640 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4800 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 23127992 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 23128232 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 23128472 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 19 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 23324600 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 23324840 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:53:11 2023] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 23325080 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x4000 phys_seg 30 prio class 0
[Wed Mar 29 00:54:22 2023] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd8 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed Mar 29 00:54:22 2023] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e058 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed Mar 29 00:54:22 2023] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0xd8 on isa0060/serio0).
[Wed Mar 29 00:54:22 2023] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e058 <keycode>' to make it known.
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] INFO: task kworker/5:3:47490 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]       Tainted: G        W  OE     5.14.0-1059-oem #67-Ubuntu
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] task:kworker/5:3     state:D stack:    0 pid:47490 ppid:     2 flags:0x00004000
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] Workqueue: usb_hub_wq hub_event
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] Call Trace:
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  <TASK>
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  __schedule+0x2ae/0x7c0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  schedule+0x4e/0xb0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  rwsem_down_read_slowpath+0x174/0x3a0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  down_read+0x43/0xa0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  get_super+0x9a/0xe0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  fsync_bdev+0x15/0x60
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  delete_partition+0x18/0x80
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  blk_drop_partitions+0x4e/0x90
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  del_gendisk+0x4f/0x1f0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  sd_remove+0x45/0x90
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  device_release_driver_internal+0x103/0x1f0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  device_release_driver+0x12/0x20
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  bus_remove_device+0xde/0x150
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  device_del+0x192/0x3f0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  __scsi_remove_device+0x120/0x150
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  scsi_forget_host+0x5f/0x70
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  scsi_remove_host+0x77/0x110
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  usb_stor_disconnect+0x50/0xd0 [usb_storage]
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  usb_unbind_interface+0x8c/0x260
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  device_release_driver_internal+0x103/0x1f0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  device_release_driver+0x12/0x20
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  bus_remove_device+0xde/0x150
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  device_del+0x192/0x3f0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ? usb_remove_ep_devs+0x1f/0x30
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  usb_disable_device+0x95/0x1b0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  usb_disconnect+0xc0/0x270
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  hub_port_connect+0x89/0x8c0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  port_event+0x56c/0x840
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  hub_event+0x157/0x3b0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  process_one_work+0x220/0x3c0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  worker_thread+0x4d/0x3f0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ? process_one_work+0x3c0/0x3c0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  kthread+0x12a/0x150
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ? set_kthread_struct+0x40/0x40
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ret_from_fork+0x22/0x30
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  </TASK>
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] INFO: task mount.ntfs:50650 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]       Tainted: G        W  OE     5.14.0-1059-oem #67-Ubuntu
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] task:mount.ntfs      state:D stack:    0 pid:50650 ppid:     1 flags:0x00000000
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] Call Trace:
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  <TASK>
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  __schedule+0x2ae/0x7c0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  schedule+0x4e/0xb0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  schedule_preempt_disabled+0xe/0x10
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  __mutex_lock.isra.0+0x16b/0x4a0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ? __fsnotify_parent+0xff/0x310
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  __mutex_lock_slowpath+0x13/0x20
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  mutex_lock+0x32/0x40
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  blkdev_put+0x35/0x190
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  blkdev_close+0x26/0x30
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  __fput+0x9f/0x250
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ____fput+0xe/0x10
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  task_work_run+0x70/0xb0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x1c1/0x1d0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x27/0x50
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  ? __x64_sys_close+0x12/0x40
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  do_syscall_64+0x48/0xc0
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xae
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] RIP: 0033:0x7f5936e55437
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] RSP: 002b:00007ffd1afdc638 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000003
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 000055c93dc02630 RCX: 00007f5936e55437
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] RDX: 00007ffd1afdc640 RSI: 0000000000000006 RDI: 0000000000000003
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] RBP: 000055c93dc02890 R08: 0000000000000007 R09: 0000000000000000
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] R10: 00007f5936bfab00 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 000055c93dc02630
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023] R13: 000055c93dc0cbb0 R14: 0000000000021000 R15: 00007ffd1afdc790
[Wed Mar 29 00:57:00 2023]  </TASK>
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:25 pm It would appear pressing the suspend button does not make the screen go black. Instead, I just see the Linux Mint logo and a clock on screen.
So the screensaver/lockscreen comes up? That is what would happen when one wakes the computer from sleep.
MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:25 pm I can send a picture if you'd like, but it's really hard to workaround the forum's new 200 KB limit.
That has always been the forum's limit. You also have the option to upload images to an image-sharing site such as ibb, imgur, or similar, and then share the link.

Normally when I ask for 200 lines of output, I end up seeing messages which happened well before the suspend command was given. Not in your case. :shock: Yours does not even go that far back.

However, it does appear the computer suspends and then immediately comes out of suspend and then has problems, especially with externally connected drives including some with Windows formatting (ntfs). Those drives do not appear to show in the inxi output you posted so I do not know what they are.

What drives do you normally have attached to your computer? (I don't know if some of these referenced might be cloud-based drives.)
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

I do not have any cloud-based drives.

I have two hard drives. One's an SSD that came with the laptop, one is a 1 TB non-SSD hard drive that I bought online and put in an empty space they left in the laptop just in case someone wanted an extra hard drive (I think the term is an expansion slot, however I could be completely wrong). I used the laptop's manual to figure out how to cable them together properly.

In the SSD drive (which according to GParted is called /dev/nvme0n1, and is 238.47 GB), I have an 78.26 GB NTFS partition allocated for the Windows boot, a 159.42 GB EXT4 partition for the Linux boot, a 523 MB NTFS partition for "Windows RE tools", a 260 MB FAT32 partition for "SYSTEM", whose mount point is /boot/efi, a 16 MB partition in /dev/nvme0n1p2 with an unknown partition type called "Microsoft reserved partition", and a 6 MB partition in /dev/nvme0n1p6 that uses an unknown file system, has no mount point, no name, and no label.

In the 1 TB drive (which according to GParted is called /dev/sda, and is 931.51 GB), I have an 881.5GB EXT4 partition named Big_Drive, a 50GB NTFS partition (which I created intentionally, in case I need extra space in my Windows boot, for some reason), a 15.98 MB partition in /dev/sda1 with an unknown partition type called "Microsoft reserved partition", and an unallocated partition of size 1.71 MB.

I also sometimes put in flash drives so I can keep backups off of my laptop. I can tell you what that drive says if I plug it in, but I have 3 flash drives, they all say different things, and I'm not sure it'd be conducive to the situation. However, I will tell you that one of them was bought recently, and I used this computer to reformat it from FAT32 to NTFS, and in the process I also had to do some edits that I don't quite remember to make sure that the flash drive mounts correctly. I think my friend and I mentioned having to edit fstab, but I don't remember if we actually did or if we found a better solution.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pmI have two hard drives. One's an SSD that came with the laptop, one is a 1 TB non-SSD hard drive that I bought online and put in an empty space they left in the laptop just in case someone wanted an extra hard drive (I think the term is an expansion slot, however I could be completely wrong). I used the laptop's manual to figure out how to cable them together properly.
This is what inxi sees as attached to your computer.

Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 257.52 GiB (22.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital 
  model: PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-256G-1006 size: 238.47 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s 
  lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: HPS2 scheme: GPT 
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT1000BX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 054 scheme: GPT 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 116.53 GiB used: 61.60 GiB (52.9%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5 
This shows you set aside 125GB (116.53GiB) for your Linux Mint install on your SSD (nvme) which came with the laptop.
MathMachine4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pmIn the SSD drive (which according to GParted is called /dev/nvme0n1, and is 238.47 GB), I have an 78.26 GB NTFS partition allocated for the Windows boot
I have never heard of a boot partition being so large. :?
MathMachine4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pma 159.42 GB EXT4 partition for the Linux boot
What it the output of

cat /etc/fstab
MathMachine4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pma 523 MB NTFS partition for "Windows RE tools"
I'm not familiar with what partitions Windows uses.
MathMachine4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pma 260 MB FAT32 partition for "SYSTEM", whose mount point is /boot/efi
Both Windows and Linux Mint can use this partition for booting. It is not showing in your Linux Mint install, but perhaps Linux Mint just added itself to the existing Windows install.
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

Sorry, when I said "boot", I was referring to the filesystems allocated for those two boots.

Also, Windows typically uses NTFS, as opposed to Linux which typically uses EXT4.

Here's the output of `cat /etc/fstab`:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/nvme0n1p5 during installation
UUID=222604a1-0066-4060-8bf7-006c30e125e5 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
UUID=DADE-B29B  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
#LABEL=Big\040Drive /mnt/Big\040Drive auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

# /mnt/Big_Drive
UUID=26d33589-2522-406d-afe5-801704b07596   /mnt/Big_Drive   ext4   defaults   0 0 
LABEL=rainbows /mnt/rainbows auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,noauto 0 0
Which also reminds me, I might want to resize the swap file soon. Just thought I'd point that out because when I do the fstab might change in the process.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:18 pmAlso, Windows typically uses NTFS, as opposed to Linux which typically uses EXT4.
I am aware of that.

Apparently, Windows RE Tools is a recovery partition for Windows.
MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:18 pmHere's the output of `cat /etc/fstab`:
This indicates Linux Mint is on the same efi partition as Windows with regards to booting.

# /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
It also shows there is what is seen as a permanently attached Linux Mint formatted drive.

# /mnt/Big_Drive
UUID=26d33589-2522-406d-afe5-801704b07596   /mnt/Big_Drive   ext4   defaults   0 0 
MathMachine4 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:18 pmWhich also reminds me, I might want to resize the swap file soon. Just thought I'd point that out because when I do the fstab might change in the process.
No, it should not change. Your system is using a swapfile.

The message when resuming from suspend showed you being connected to a Windows-formatted drive yet none show up in fstab. How often are you saving files to a Windows-formatted drive (or partition)?
MathMachine4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MathMachine4 »

I rarely ever use my Windows boot. However, I am using my NTFS formatted flash drive every time I backup my important files (every Sunday). Additionally, the flash drive I use to intentionally cause this bug to happen is also NTFS formatted. If you'd like me to run the same command when the bug naturally happens, I can wait for that and see what the command's output is then.

Also, I was planning on resizing my swap file because, from what I understand, the swap file should ideally be 1.5 times the size of the RAM.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MathMachine4 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:46 am I rarely ever use my Windows boot. However, I am using my NTFS formatted flash drive every time I backup my important files (every Sunday). Additionally, the flash drive I use to intentionally cause this bug to happen is also NTFS formatted. If you'd like me to run the same command when the bug naturally happens, I can wait for that and see what the command's output is then.
At this point, I do not have any other ideas, but tracking when your computer does suspend properly and when it does not and do that in relation to when you attach one of these NTFS drives may give clues.

I'm not sure what you mean by when the bug naturally occurs. One of the tenets of fixing bugs is being able to reproduce when they happen so you can know whether or not a fix works.
MathMachine4 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:46 amAlso, I was planning on resizing my swap file because, from what I understand, the swap file should ideally be 1.5 times the size of the RAM.
If one plans to hibernate their computer it is advised to make a swap file or partition of at least the size of RAM.

The default swapfile size is 2GB and we usually do not recommend changing that unless the computer's RAM is small (4GB or less) or one is having problems and needs more swap.

Return to “Software & Applications”