Change distro controlling boot (SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Change distro controlling boot (SOLVED)

Post by SallyK »

I used to distro-hop a lot 5 or 6 years ago, and I have multiple partitions set up on my boot drive to install them into. Back then, I was quite happy changing which distro controlled grub.

I've recently installed another distro which took over the UEFI boot, and now I'd like to switch back to Mint being in control, but I can't work out how to do it. I'm sure it's something really obvious, but would you be able to point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Change distro controlling boot

Post by Reddog1 »

Just my opinion, but the absolute best way to boot when there are multiple (as in several) linux distributions installed is to install rEFInd. The problem with boot-managing mulitlple linux installs is that whenever grub2 updates to a new version, the distro that version-updates will take over the boot management of the computer and you will be right back where you started.
These updates can also hi-jack rEFInd management, too, but the fix is super simple (just run $sudo refind-mkdefault)

Another solution is to LOCK the grub2 version of all distributions, other than the one you want to be boot manager, which works except for sometimes an arch-based distro will still cause a problem with an ubuntu-based grub2. Manjaro grub and Ubuntu grub really do not play well with each other.

rEFInd is in Mint's Software Manager
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

SallyK wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:48 pm I've recently installed another distro which took over the UEFI boot, and now I'd like to switch back to Mint being in control, but I can't work out how to do it. I'm sure it's something really obvious, but would you be able to point me in the right direction?
Go into bios and put "ubuntu" top of your boot list.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Try Andy's solution first. If there's a hiccup, e.g., the firmware wants a password, another way to do this is to boot into Mint from the current Grub menu, then run this command: sudo grub-install /dev/sdx, where x = device to which installing the boot loader. This simple command only works when booted to the system you want in charge of Grub, but when that's true the script figures out everything else.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
That will work for legacy boot. Does it for UEFI, which I thought was more complicated, e.g.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/831216/ ... -partition
Not an expert in this, most of my experience is with legacy boot.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:13 am Does it for UEFI
Yup. I've done it. What's more complicated is reinstalling Grub when not booted to the system one wants in charge of Grub. In that case, it might be easier to use efibootmgr (the Linux tool for modifying the firmware boot list). Both can be done with a live session.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help.

Changing to Ubuntu didn't do anything - it saved, but didn't help. (Possibly because KDE Neon is Ubuntu based as well?, I'm not sure.)

Doing the grub-install worked, with no issues so far.

It's good to be back at home, and know future experiments can be reversed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”