Linux Mint LMDE 5 32 bit

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint LMDE 5 32 bit

Post by jayr69 »

Hello everyone.
Just to let you know that i reformatted an old Lenovo 32 bit T60 thinkpad with Linux Mint LMDE 5 32 bit edition.
Can you believe that the laptop was ment to work with windows 2000 or windows xp.
My goodness, that machine runs better then a I5 core 64 bit Hp tower equiped with Windows 10.
My old thinkpad is completely fonctional, up to date and i installed all that i need in it so that i can do anything that i want with it, and all of that for absolutly free.
Of course there are some software that i cannot get with the 32 bit version like TUNER but i worked arround that with CLEMENTINE and STREAMTUNER2.
I am amaised to see how well and fast the old laptop is performing and i want to thank the linux Mint team for creating such a great and easy to use operating system and i do hope that the team will keep on supporting the 32 bit version of LMDE because i know that the 19.3 LTS version's support will stop this coming April.
In my other 64 bit machines i have the LTS 21.1 version of Mint running and i don't think that any other OS can beat the efficiency of Linux Mint.

Take good care all and long live Linux Mint
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint LMDE 5 32 bit

Post by MLED4 »

I absolutely agree, lmde runs fine on asus eee pc, which have single core 600 mhz processor, 512MB of ram, and 3.73GiB ssd!

Hope 32 bit support never ends, or my eee pc collection will just be on it's way to becoming a rather expensive giant chess set.
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jayr69 »

Well let's hope that they do keep it runnig.
Have a good day
jayr69
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jayr69 »

I do think that as long that Debian will keep on supporting the 32 bit systems, we will have a 32 bit version of Linux Mint LMDE.
We will soon have Linux Mint LMDE 6 available and i do believe that it is scheduled to include the 32 bit version as well.
I am glad about that because my Lenovo T60 is running wonderfully with the LMDE 5 right now.

Have a good day everybody
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The Raspberry Pi people support their hardware for 10 years and their 32 bit options are still in production. Projects like that will continue to support the Debian compiles for 32 bit. LMDE is straight out of Debian. The only bits Mint have to support are their add ons and they are mostly python which should easily support 32 bit.

The Ubuntu based stuff is different because Ubuntu makes random decisions to drop stuff. Ubuntu could be meeting right now to decide to drop support for silicon based processors and support only plant based processors.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

LMDE is Debian Stable based while other Mint editions are Ubuntu based, so LMDE would be better for old boxes. I suspect that Lenovo has a lot of Intel guts in there too. They have the best Linux support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ViennaTom
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ViennaTom »

MX has a 32bit version too. How does LMDE compare to MX on older hardware?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ViennaTom wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:00 pm MX has a 32bit version too. How does LMDE compare to MX on older hardware?
They are both based on Debian Stable. MX doesn't use the systemd version of Debian so it's a bit lighter, but MX will also boot to systemd if you want, which I don't. The only serious performance differences are in the desktops. MX doesn't offer Cinnamon and LMDE offers nothing else.

You could install Cinnamon in MX but unless you're really an expert it's pretty foolish to do, I'd never use a DE that the distro doesn't support.

MX offers KDE, Xfce, and Fluxbox. I tested the Fluxbox version but that uses as much RAM as Xfce so frak that version. I use the KDE version, that uses about the same RAM as Xfce, and while Xfce still looks and feels like the 90s, KDE is the most powerful and refined Linux DE I've ever used. It's been my main DE for years. If LMDE supported it I might use it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Cinnamon and LMDE offers nothing else.
That doesn't mean it is impossible:

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.10.0-23-686 i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: MATE 1.24.1 
           Distro: LMDE 5 Elsie base: Debian 11.2 bullseye 
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

vimes666 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:32 am
Cinnamon and LMDE offers nothing else.
That doesn't mean it is impossible:

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.10.0-23-686 i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: MATE 1.24.1 
           Distro: LMDE 5 Elsie base: Debian 11.2 bullseye 
I never said it wasn't possible. ANyway using multiple DEs is a bad idea, I know of no knowledgeable user who would do it. The only way to do that reliably is to install the 2nd DE and then purge the original one.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

ANyway using multiple DEs is a bad idea
It runs as a charm on all my pc's for years now. Never had any problems and being able to run the cinnamon as well as the mate versions of various programs is a plus in my eyes. Debian is made to handle multiple DE's otherwise they would not have provided functionality for it in the login screen.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”