Multiple Monitors and Window List

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revellution
Level 1
Level 1

Multiple Monitors and Window List

Post by revellution »

Hi all,

Finally went full time Linux Mint after cracking it with MS shoving Bing and Edge in my face.
Couldn't be happier, love everything about this OS.

Only slight issue I've had is using multiple monitors and having windows display their icon on the respective panel.

Deets:
LM 21.1
Dell Inspiron
Second Monitor via HDMI
Laptop Screen is primary display.

Issue:
I'd like my windows to only display their icon on the panel of the display they are visible on. I've done a lot of searching and found only people asking for the opposite behaviour. That is to say people were asking for "Windows 10 like behaviour" in that the open windows will show on all panels (taskbars).
It seems like that is now the default behaviour but I cannot find an option to change it back to the old behaviour.

More info:
I've created my new panel on the second monitor and this working fine, it is just showing more windows than intended. I've also seen several solutions about the opposite issue talking about workspaces so to be clear I am not using (and do not wish to use) workspaces. Ideally, I'd like everything on one workspace but only have the windows show their icons on the screen in which they are open.

Is it possible to achieve what I am asking for or is having the icons display on all screens now the default (and only) option?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Multiple Monitors and Window List

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Not only possible, I just did it last night. In fact I was just coming here to post a "who knew" kinda thing. It's very 8) 8) 8)

OK, here's what I did and how:

System:
------------------------------------
Mint: Ver 21 Cinnamon
Cinnamon Version: 5.4.12
Kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic
------------------------------------

1. Add new panel to second monitor
2. Right click on that new panel and select "Panel Edit Mode" - you should see the 3 applet areas now showing (left/center/right)
3. Add the "Window List" applet to the region on your choice.
4. Close the Applet window
5. Turn off "Panel Edit Mode"

That was it. Anything open on that window should now show in the panel only in that window.

What may be tripping you up is, since you're on a laptop were you running the laptop with only the one monitor? I use a desktop, so that's not an issue for me
blucap
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Multiple Monitors and Window List

Post by blucap »

This works in Mint 21.1

1 - Right-click on the panel of your choice at the bottom of you monitor.
2 - Click "applets".
3 - Find Windows list and click the gears
4 - Switch: Show windows from all workspaces.

Return to “Cinnamon”