[SOLVED]Low Latency kernel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Low Latency kernel

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Hello all,

I'm a musician. Would love to have this option to be able to install and make default a Mint upgraded low latency kernel from the mint updater. I'm on a 2009 Mac Pro and have installed the KX studio low latency kernel on my Una Mint but of course it does not upgrade cause it's not maintained anymore.

So please Mint do propose a Mint low latency kernel regularly updated and a point and click utility to define default kernel to boot on (if it doesn't exist already). Would be an enormous asset for us musicians.

Thanx for all the work you've already done making Mint fantastic for end users..
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Low Latency kernel

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

LM 20,X EOL is on April 2025, even so they said here last kx studio support Ubuntu 22.04 so LM 21.X.

In other hand you will receive lowlatency kernel 5.4 updates from Update Manager, just be sure linux-lowlatency linux-image-lowlatency and linux-header-lowlatency are installed and linux-generic, linux-image-generic and linux-headers-generic are removed and blacklisted if needed.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Post by grndplane »

Maybe give this a try.
https://liquorix.net/
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:32 pm LM 20,X EOL is on April 2025, even so they said here last kx studio support Ubuntu 22.04 so LM 21.X.

In other hand you will receive lowlatency kernel 5.4 updates from Update Manager, just be sure linux-lowlatency linux-image-lolatency and linux-header-lowlatency are installed and linux-generic, linux-image-generic and linux-headers-generic are removed and blacklisted if needed.
Hi Jo,
Thx for your answer but I have it already installed, I reinstalled the kxstudio-repos.deb on my computer just to be sure and didn't have any update option for my low latency kernel. According to Kadence I have the 5.4.0-121-lowlatency kernel. Nothing new showed up in the update windows just the generic one.

Regards
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

grndplane wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:52 pm Maybe give this a try.
https://liquorix.net/
Hello Thanx

Anyone using this one? Cause i'm not confident enough in my Linux skills to give it a try.

Regards
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

I do not use kx studio but last lowlatency kernel on Ubuntu focal repository (LM 20.X) is 5.4.0-144, see apt policy linux-lowlatency result and post back dpkg -l | grep lowlatency.

Also I have installed ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings (see apt show ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings).
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Hello Jo,

hope I understood your instructions well here are the results og the two commands on my current install:

Code: Select all

jfredd@fredd-mint:~$ apt policy linux-lowlatency
linux-lowlatency:
  Installé : 5.4.0.121.122
  Candidat : 5.4.0.144.142
 Table de version :
     5.4.0.144.142 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 Packages
 *** 5.4.0.121.122 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     5.4.0.26.32 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

Code: Select all

jfredd@fredd-mint:~$ dpkg -l | grep lowlatency
ii  linux-headers-5.4.0-121-lowlatency         5.4.0-121.137                       amd64        Linux kernel headers for version 5.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-headers-lowlatency                   5.4.0.121.122                       amd64        lowlatency Linux kernel headers
ii  linux-image-5.4.0-121-lowlatency           5.4.0-121.137                       amd64        Signed kernel image lowlatency
ii  linux-image-lowlatency                     5.4.0.121.122                       amd64        lowlatency Linux kernel image
ii  linux-lowlatency                           5.4.0.121.122                       amd64        Complete lowlatency Linux kernel
ii  linux-modules-5.4.0-121-lowlatency         5.4.0-121.137                       amd64        Linux kernel extra modules for version 5.4.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
Do you think the install of this ubuntu 144 is worth it?

Regards
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

I do not use kx studio but last lowlatency kernel on Ubuntu focal repository (LM 20.X) is 5.4.0-144, see apt policy linux-lowlatency result and post back dpkg -l | grep lowlatency.

Also I have installed ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings (see apt show ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings).

Hello again,

I think I'm an idiot cause when I get into the mint update manager and look at the padckages involved in the kernel upgrade (I always unchecked it cause I was afraid it would replace my low latency kernel by a generic one) I've seen this:

This update concerns the following packages:
- linux-generic
- linux-headers-generic
- linux-headers-lowlatency
- linux-image-generic
- linux-image-lowlatency
- linux-libc-dev
- linux-lowlatency
Total size : 1 Mo

So it seems that both generic (I've kept it just in case) and low latency kernels will be upgraded. Am I right? And diggin into those kernel stuff I've also seen that Mint doesn't erase old kernels unless you ask for it. So the 121 ker,nels should stay there anyway and be available if ever there was a problem with the new ones. I will perhaps have toreset the low latency kernel as default but I'm ok with that if I have to.

What do you think I can safely give it a try?

Thx for your answers.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Judge-Fredd wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 pm So it seems that both generic (I've kept it just in case) and low latency kernels will be upgraded. Am I right?....
Yes, you are.

It is recommended to install security and kernel updates, also it is recommended you take system snapshots with Timeshift before, so you can restore if something goes wrong with certain delicate updates as kernel, xorg,...
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:32 am
Judge-Fredd wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 pm So it seems that both generic (I've kept it just in case) and low latency kernels will be upgraded. Am I right?....
Yes, you are.

It is recommended to install security and kernel updates, also it is recommended you take system snapshots with Timeshift before, so you can restore if something goes wrong with certain delicate updates as kernel, xorg,...
Thx a lot will do it next week as I have a lot of work to be done before and I'll let you know.

Regards
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Hi Jo,

Finally I was impatient so I did the update to 144 low latency kernel, and everything went smooth, everything is working and bonus, my computer start faster than before.

As I wasn't that confident about the result, when Grub appeared I chose for him manually to boot on this kernel (options grub menu). Is there a command line I could run to know what kernel is the default one for Grub?

Thx for all your valuable advices.

Regards.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Noitice what I said on my first post to avoid installing generic kernel, also ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings propose
apt show ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings
Package: ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings
Version: 20.04.2.2
Priority: optional
Section: universe/x11
Source: ubuntustudio-default-settings
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Studio Developers <ubuntu-studio-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 55,3 kB
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2~)
Homepage: https://launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-default-settings
Task: ubuntustudio-desktop-core, ubuntustudio-desktop
Download-Size: 12,2 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 Packages
Description: Adds lowlatency kernel as boot default if available
This package makes the lowlatency kernel the default kernel in GRUB.
Also adds a second entry for the generic kernel if available.
Any way, on GRUB menu you can edit default entry just select and press E or TAB and see kernel line.
(...)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-144-lowlatency root=UUID=......
initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-144-lowlatency
If you can not see GRUB menu on booting press Esc or tap repeatedly left SHIFT as soon as power on computer.

You can be sure kernel running on current session with uname -a on terminal and make grub menu to be shown on booting by default changing /etc/default/grub file.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Hello Jo,

thx for your kind help. I have access to grub at boot and will figure out what kernel is the default. From what I have seen so far 144 low-latency is the first in the list so should be the default. Will verify this at next boot (not shutting down very often ;-)

I prefer to keep generic along side lowlatency just in case. And Mint provides a very good graphic tool to get rid of old or unwanted kernels so if I change my mind, it will be easy.

Have a nice day!
Judge-Fredd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Judge-Fredd »

Hello JO,

it's fine I'm booting on the 144 low latency kernel. 8)

Thx once again.

FREDD

Return to “Sound”