Stuck In Grub and the Worm Won't Let Me Out

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rocky1
Level 1
Level 1

Stuck In Grub and the Worm Won't Let Me Out

Post by Rocky1 »

Greetings everyone, new to Linux again, was at one time fairly adept at it, but Redhat was fairly new at that time, haven't played with it since, and gnu once again is short for "Greek- NO Understandee!"

Purchased a Lenovo with latest stable version of Mint - Cinnamon installed off E-Bay awhile back. Worked good for a day or so, installed a few goodies, all was going well and it crashed. Thought it was something I did, later found it to be a combination of small (20 gig) Linux partition established and Timeshift creating huge backup files dumped into said partition locking it up.

Purchased Live Boot Drive off E-Bay with Repair Software installed on it, while waiting on that created my own Live Boot thumbdrive, fired it up, booted to the thumbdrive without a hiccup, found the timeshift files and deleted those, got it back up and running, but attempts at repair prior to finding the Timeshift problem had created other issues. As best I recall I deleted the small partition, and Installed to single large partition. All was working relatively well, had it all set up and running, all programs I wanted installed, but it was booting really slow.

Ran Boot Repair came up with a Kernel Error. Was attempting repair and inadvertently touched the scroll pad with my cursor parked over Cancel in the middle of said repair. Which I knew reeeeally sucked the moment it happened. Said a few nasty words, ran Boot Repair another time or two, and it seemed to be OK, came up with same type Kernel Error in Boot Repair, but all else worked fine. Rebooted and all I get is...

-- Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. --

If someone would be kind enough to point me to how to load images to the board, I do have a picture of the list I can post.

Will not boot to Live Boot Drive any longer, although it does light it up like it's reading it. Have tried both the one I created and the one I purchased, but me being greener than this board on Linux, that could be a PEBKAC error (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

grubb> fwsetup - Allows me to enter BIOS Setup Utility. Turned off Secure Boot to no avail. Attempted to set Live Boot Drive as primary in Boot Order to no avail. All other attempts at Commands result in Need to Load Kernel, File Not Specified, Command Not Recognized.

What it is...

GNU Grubb Version 2.06-3~deb11u5

Insyde H20 Setup Utility -- Rev 3.7

Product Name Lenovo G50-45
Bios Version A2CN27WW(V1.09)
EC Version A2EC27WW(V1.09)

UUID Number 2D7B80BD-9F80-11E4-A961-68F7286D076C
CPU AMD A8-6410 APU AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Hard Disk ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
ODD MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8FBS

Windows License WIN (No Windows installed currently - do have a copy of Windows 10 I hope to dual boot on it.)

No passwords set - was attempting to get it all set up before going there and having to type it ten million times.
Secure Boot [Disabled]
Boot Mode [UEFI]
USB Boot [Enabled]

EFI
EFI HDD Device (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB)
debian (ST1000LM024 HN-M191MBB)
EFI PXE Network

grub> ls
(proc) (memdisk) (lvm/lvmlmde-swap) (lvm/lmde-root) (hd0) (hd0, gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1) (cd0)

Does not seem to recognize any commands, have attempted a few, won't recognize sudo, won't recognize mount. (Again this could be user error.)

Assuming I needed to delete and reinstall, wouldn't recognize fdisk. Won't break me if I have to get my pistol out and shoot it, at this point I might find some satisfaction in that honestly, but I'd really like to get it back up and running just because shooting it would be an admission of defeat. And, I know enough about Linux to understand I may be able to save the current installation and NOT have to set it ALL back up from scratch.

I'm open to suggestions and know beyond a shadow of doubt, you folks have the answers! :) :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Stuck In Grub and the Worm Won't Let Me Out

Post by SMG »

Rocky1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:41 pmIf someone would be kind enough to point me to how to load images to the board, I do have a picture of the list I can post.
Welcome to the forum, Rocky1.

If the image is less than 200kb, you can attach it to a post. Under the text reply box is an Attachments tab. Click it and add your file(s).
If the image is larger than that, you can upload it to an free image-hosting site such as ibb or imgur or others and then post the link to it.
Rocky1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:41 pmWill not boot to Live Boot Drive any longer, although it does light it up like it's reading it. Have tried both the one I created and the one I purchased
You might also want to check the Lenovo community forum for your model computer for issues related to getting the computer to boot from the usb. Sometimes issues are specific to the hardware.
Rocky1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:41 pmEFI
EFI HDD Device (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB)
debian (ST1000LM024 HN-M191MBB)
EFI PXE Network

grub> ls
(proc) (memdisk) (lvm/lvmlmde-swap) (lvm/lmde-root) (hd0) (hd0, gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1) (cd0)
You posted on the Main Edition section of the Linux Mint forum (Linux Mint based on Ubuntu), but this seems to indicate you have LMDE installed (Linux Mint based on Debian).

What version of Linux Mint do you have installed?
Rocky1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:41 pm(No Windows installed currently - do have a copy of Windows 10 I hope to dual boot on it.)
If you want to dual-boot with Windows, Windows needs to be installed first. Any Linux-based distros are added after you have Windows installed and working.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Rocky1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stuck In Grub and the Worm Won't Let Me Out

Post by Rocky1 »

Thank you SMG!

Will check Lenovo forum see if I can find answers there. Was working fine until I crashed Mint, so I'm honestly not sure there. May try the Windows installation CD and see if it will boot that, wipe the drive and start from scratch if it will, since it seems that will be necessary to get where I want to go with it anyhow.

Image is 900 kb, may have to try resizing and further reducing quality, see I can compress it enough, but that'll have to be another day. Time for a shower and hit the sack this evening I'm afraid, long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Your help is much appreciated!

Return to “Installation & Boot”