cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error

Post by planetrocker1 »

Hello !

I am so happy i am not alone... I have nearly freaked out trying to repair or upgrade the system on my own !

I cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error

Post by diabolicbg »

Hopefully, you have Timeshift photos recorded from LM20.3. Make a bootable flash stick with LM20.3, plug it in, start the machine with it. Then open Timeshift from the live distribution and use it to bring the system back to the written point. That should solve the problem, and you'll think about upgrading.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error

Post by SMG »

planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:10 amI cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error
You can not boot because of many changes you made to your system. The upgrade was not the root cause of this problem and posting in every topic you find that mentions upgrading will not help you. Stop doing that.

This is already the second topic for your issue. The original topic where you have been receiving help is /var/lib/dkms/rtl88x2bu/5.2.4.4/source/dkms.conf does not exist. You apparently attempted to install wireless drivers that were not for your hardware and that messed up the dkms. dkms is triggered when installing new kernels. You likely had problems with your install before you even attempted the upgrade to LM21.

However, it appears you are now at a point where you likely messed up the boot partition of your install. You have a computer with UEFI (which is a newer type of BIOS) so I do not know if your situation can be fixed because UEFI is a little bit more complicated and you have just been randomly trying things which has made your situation worse.

Because you do not have any snapshots and there are problems in your install because of past actions, my suggestion to you at this point is to boot to a live session of Linux Mint (which you have already said in the other topic that you can do). Use File Manager on the live session to back-up your personal data and then do a fresh install.

However, it is possible you may be able to get your system working with Boot Repair, but I do not normally help others with those types of issues so you will have wait and see if someone else can help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

diabolicbg wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:32 pm Hopefully, you have Timeshift photos recorded from LM20.3. Make a bootable flash stick with LM20.3, plug it in, start the machine with it. Then open Timeshift from the live distribution and use it to bring the system back to the written point. That should solve the problem, and you'll think about upgrading.
i dont have a timeshift snapshot, so i cannot recover
but if i had, would my data, files and installed programs with their settings be restored as they were ?
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:15 pm
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:10 amI cannot Boot since last shutdown because the upgrade from 20.3 to 21.1 was stopped due to a system error
You can not boot because of many changes you made to your system. The upgrade was not the root cause of this problem and posting in every topic you find that mentions upgrading will not help you. Stop doing that.

This is already the second topic for your issue. The original topic where you have been receiving help is /var/lib/dkms/rtl88x2bu/5.2.4.4/source/dkms.conf does not exist. You apparently attempted to install wireless drivers that were not for your hardware and that messed up the dkms. dkms is triggered when installing new kernels. You likely had problems with your install before you even attempted the upgrade to LM21.

However, it appears you are now at a point where you likely messed up the boot partition of your install. You have a computer with UEFI (which is a newer type of BIOS) so I do not know if your situation can be fixed because UEFI is a little bit more complicated and you have just been randomly trying things which has made your situation worse.

Because you do not have any snapshots and there are problems in your install because of past actions, my suggestion to you at this point is to boot to a live session of Linux Mint (which you have already said in the other topic that you can do). Use File Manager on the live session to back-up your personal data and then do a fresh install.

However, it is possible you may be able to get your system working with Boot Repair, but I do not normally help others with those types of issues so you will have wait and see if someone else can help you.
true, i had had problems with my installation before i even attempted the upgrade to LM21
thats why i decided to upgrade but had no luck and i cannot Boot ever since the last shutdown

i cannot recover files from a live session of Linux Mint because my hard disk is encrypted
for instance i cannot get access to my home folder

please write more how i can use a Boot Repair and where i can find it
there is no boot repair option in live session of Linux Mint

THANK YOU
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pmi cannot recover files from a live session of Linux Mint because my hard disk is encrypted
You should be able to access your home folder, give it your password, and get to the files. How is it encrypted?

See if this helps you HOWTO: Recover files from encrypted ecryptfs home directory.
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pmplease write more how i can use a Boot Repair and where i can find it
I have never used it and can not help you with it.
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:59 pm
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pmi cannot recover files from a live session of Linux Mint because my hard disk is encrypted
You should be able to access your home folder, give it your password, and get to the files. How is it encrypted?

See if this helps you HOWTO: Recover files from encrypted ecryptfs home directory.
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pmplease write more how i can use a Boot Repair and where i can find it
I have never used it and can not help you with it.
do you have any idea which folders hold the packages and their settings ?
i want to transfer all installed programs

still, i cannot believe i cannot repair the installation without any other option
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:20 pmdo you have any idea which folders hold the packages and their settings ?
Programs are installed into the operating system. You can not transfer installed programs.

If you downloaded files so you could install the programs, you should be able to copy those downloaded files. Maybe they are still in the Downloads folder?

You should also be able to copy the settings for those programs. Usually, there is a hidden folder in home for each of your installed programs (however, that depends on how the program is set up).
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:20 pmstill, i cannot believe i cannot repair the installation without any other option
If you want to wait and see if someone else might be able to help you, you can do that.

If one has a problem with their system, one should always fix the problem before attempting an upgrade. Unless the problem is a known bug that the upgrade will fix, it is more likely the system will get further messed up by attempting to upgrade.

It is really best to have system backups so problems like this can be easily reversed.
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:29 pm
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:20 pmdo you have any idea which folders hold the packages and their settings ?
Programs are installed into the operating system. You can not transfer installed programs.

If you downloaded files so you could install the programs, you should be able to copy those downloaded files. Maybe they are still in the Downloads folder?

You should also be able to copy the settings for those programs. Usually, there is a hidden folder in home for each of your installed programs (however, that depends on how the program is set up).
planetrocker1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:20 pmstill, i cannot believe i cannot repair the installation without any other option
If you want to wait and see if someone else might be able to help you, you can do that.

If one has a problem with their system, one should always fix the problem before attempting an upgrade. Unless the problem is a known bug that the upgrade will fix, it is more likely the system will get further messed up by attempting to upgrade.

It is really best to have system backups so problems like this can be easily reversed.
if i had a timeshift snaphot, would i be able to recover installed programs and their settings ?
generally, we are discussing about how much this linux distro is worth using comparing to others
if it crashes like this, after an attempt to upgrade, i am afraid it is not so much worth using,
though i really like it... it is light and does not have the shit inside that ubuntu has
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:00 am if it crashes like this, after an attempt to upgrade, i am afraid it is not so much worth using,
Be honest to yourself. The upgrade advises told you to create a Timeshift snapshot. It was not the system, but you, who decided against that, what the devs implemented and what experienced users recommend.

It was you, who did not backup your user data, an urgent recommendation regardless of any used OS since decades. Even more, if encryption is in the game.
An old word says, that not backed up data are superfluous data. Why the hell must superfluous things get encrypted? (rhetorical)

You behaved like a parachutist, who jumped without a backup parachute. No professional parachutist does this (who does not plan to suicide), but if one does so, than this is a final decision. There is no technical way to revert this decision before crashing on the ground. This is hard, but this is the truth.

So no, it is not the system, which is reliable for your trouble. No distro wherever, no Windows and no MacOS tell you, that you can bypass backups.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:25 am
planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:00 am if it crashes like this, after an attempt to upgrade, i am afraid it is not so much worth using,
Be honest to yourself. The upgrade advises told you to create a Timeshift snapshot. It was not the system, but you, who decided against that, what the devs implemented and what experienced users recommend.

It was you, who did not backup your user data, an urgent recommendation regardless of any used OS since decades. Even more, if encryption is in the game.
An old word says, that not backed up data are superfluous data. Why the hell must superfluous things get encrypted? (rhetorical)

You behaved like a parachutist, who jumped without a backup parachute. No professional parachutist does this (who does not plan to suicide), but if one does so, than this is a final decision. There is no technical way to revert this decision before crashing on the ground. This is hard, but this is the truth.

So no, it is not the system, which is reliable for your trouble. No distro wherever, no Windows and no MacOS tell you, that you can bypass backups.
+100
As they say in our country "on a crooked rocket, the cosmos is to blame". :lol:
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

diabolicbg wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:52 am

+100
As they say in our country "on a crooked rocket, the cosmos is to blame". :lol:
i agree too ! hahahaha
now, the question is, which is a more reliable distro ?
and if anyone can help me, recover without reinstalling
Last edited by planetrocker1 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

i like jumping and rainbows with no protection
now, do you have any solution to recover without reinstalling ?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:59 am now, the question is, which is a more reliable distro ?
I've been using LM since version 18 and when I've had problems early on, it's always been my own fault. When I learned to think and ask before I touch, I never had problems with LM. I am now using 21.1.

Now all I have to do is throw some beans and caress your problem. If beans give an answer, I will write it. :lol:
Try https://www.supergrubdisk.org/2021/11/1 ... -released/

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:59 am now, the question is, which is a more reliable distro ?
The wrong question.
If you blow any advice and any warning into the wind, no distro and no OS can be what you perhaps call "reliable"

The right question is: Where is the reliable user? I give you the guarantee: If you do not change your behavior and continue to shift the blame about problems to the OS, it will not be the question, if you fall again into the same trouble, but when this will happen.

If you would have a snapshot, you would not have the big problem inclusive data loss, which you encounter now. So not the question for a distro is on topic, but about the right usage.
planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 am i like jumping and rainbows with no protection
In this case one of us is on the wrong place. This is not a forum for suicides.
planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 am now, do you have any solution to recover without reinstalling ?
I told you already: Your decision was final. You should read instead of quoting. This is not a movie, where people stand suddenly up after having died.
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

diabolicbg wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:09 am
I've been using LM since version 18 and when I've had problems early on, it's always been my own fault. When I learned to think and ask before I touch, I never had problems with LM. I am now using 21.1.

Now all I have to do is throw some beans and caress your problem. If beans give an answer, I will write it. :lol:
Try https://www.supergrubdisk.org/2021/11/1 ... -released/
so you mean that i can recover with rescatux ?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:10 am so you mean that i can recover with rescatux ?
Only God Knows. It helped me once in my early days with LM.

planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 am
The wrong question.
If you blow any advice and any warning into the wind, no distro and no OS can be what you perhaps call "reliable"

The right question is: Where is the reliable user? I give you the guarantee: If you do not change your behavior and continue to shift the blame about problems to the OS, it will not be the question, if you fall again into the same trouble, but when this will happen.

If you would have a snapshot, you would not have the big problem inclusive data loss, which you encounter now. So not the question for a distro is on topic, but about the right usage.
planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 am i like jumping and rainbows with no protection
In this case one of us is on the wrong place. This is not a forum for suicides.
planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 am now, do you have any solution to recover without reinstalling ?
I told you already: Your decision was final. You should read instead of quoting. This is not a movie, where people stand suddenly up after having died.
you write me a banch of comments, though here is a tech forum and linux mint specific
we are not here to discuss about human behaviors, or if you like me or if i like you
we are here to make linux mint a better distro, even better than ubuntu,
thats why i am here and discussing with others
planetrocker1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planetrocker1 »

diabolicbg wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:13 am
planetrocker1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:10 am so you mean that i can recover with rescatux ?
Only God Knows. It helped me once in my early days with LM.
does rescatoux have an easy wizard ?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Yes, it have a GUI and help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”