[SOLVED] Set default keyboard language

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

I'm reanimating the question from a previous post (viewtopic.php?t=365959), because I have the same issue and because no-one ever answered the OP's question.

In my case, I have an English and German keyboard layout installed. My system language is English. Both have to stay on the system. Most of the time I want the German language keyboard layout. No problem switching by clicking on the flag in the taskbar -- but: every time the system sits idle and the log-in screen appears before I start again, the language switches back to English. It's a minor thing, but annoying since I start typing right away, with the wrong keyboard layout.

Isn't there a way to switch this so the German keyboard is the default, and the English one only by choice? I searched all the settings, in vain -- only discovered that I apparently can't install German as a language, though I'm not sure why; there's no error message. But that's (maybe) for another topic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Set default keyboard language

Post by MiZoG »

I can tell from your signature you are on Cinnamon

Use the arrows to move keyboard layouts up n down.
the upmost becomes the "default"
it works for me :D
Last edited by MiZoG on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the idea, but German was already on top, US English second, no other ones.

I know the languages settings are supposed to be independent of the keyboard options, but: do you actually have Greek and French installed as languages, too? (I wonder if my inability to install German may have anything to do with this issue.)
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

I've got English installed and partly ("some language files missing") Greek.
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Finally had some time to look into this more deeply. Got it solved by hacking a file.
For anyone with the same problem, do this:

In nemo, go to File System and make your way into
/etc/default

There, right click into the folder (not highlighting any file), choose Open as Root, enter your password.

Open the file named "keyboard" in your text editor.
You'll likely see the lines:
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
Find somewhere the correct 2-digit abbreviation for the language you want to have as the default -- in my case it's "de" for German.
Replace the "us" with your chosen language, save the file.
Reboot and voilá, you're set!

There is definitely something wrong with the keyboard settings in 21.1, because 1. why would there be an option to move the languages around, if it weren't for the usual reason: that the topmost one is the default? And 2. it works exactly that way (topmost as default) on my 19.3 machine.

Return to “Software & Applications”