devices seen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pinguin
Level 1
Level 1

devices seen

Post by pinguin »

hi,
im a new linux mint's user and I noticed this probleem:
my pc has 2 partition: 1windows and the other LM and, when i'm in the linux os, in the fold "devices" i can see the other partition and the other files
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: devices seen

Post by Cosmo. »

What is the problem?
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

Congratulations @Penguin!!!
You created the topic number 77777 in the Beginner's section of this forum :mrgreen:
77777.jpg
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
pinguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinguin »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 pm What is the problem?
different people use the pc: the windows os and the linux os.
person A has an account on Win. os.
Person B has an account on LM os and searching in the folders can see all files on the windows partition (searching in users)
pinguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinguin »

axrusar wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:33 pm Congratulations @Penguin!!!
You created the topic number 77777 in the Beginner's section of this forum :mrgreen:

77777.jpg
awarded?
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

pinguin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:23 am
Person B has an account on LM os and searching in the folders can see all files on the windows partition (searching in users)
Does that person need to have admin access? If they were a regular user you could set the system to not automount the windows partition and then the user won't be able to mount it because that requires admin permissions.

I assume the issue is that you don't want user B from being able to see the files of the other person?
pinguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinguin »

Nikolai5 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 am
Does that person need to have admin access? If they were a regular user you could set the system to not automount the windows partition and then the user won't be able to mount it because that requires admin permissions.

I assume the issue is that you don't want user B from being able to see the files of the other person?
Yes, userB (LM os) should not be able to see all files stored in the windows partition's users.
All users (windows and linux) have account protected by pw
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

Yes, userB (LM os) should not be able to see all files stored in the windows partition's users.
What about my proposed solution, did you miss it? Does that user need to be an admin user? You could create a standard user for them so that they don't have permission to access those things.
sakamitz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sakamitz »

different people use the pc: the windows os and the linux os.
person A has an account on Win. os.
If the LM user has root access, they can see whatever they want to see in Windows partition.

So the best solution is as Nick suggested, create a regular user in LM for person B to use
pinguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinguin »

Nikolai5 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:51 am
What about my proposed solution, did you miss it? Does that user need to be an admin user? You could create a standard user for them so that they don't have permission to access those things.
ok. thanks.
but I don't understand the tecnical passages to do it
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

but I don't understand the tecnical passages to do it
You start by launching "Users and Groups" from the start menu.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Unless things can be done differently now from what I remember, it is not enough to limit other users to "standard" accounts in order to hide ntfs partitions from them on Linux.
You had to hide the partitions from users, make them "secret" and/or edit fstab on top of that but don't know if and how the new ntfs driver has changed that.
pinguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinguin »

MiZoG wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:35 am You had to hide the partitions from users, make them "secret" and/or edit fstab on top of that but don't know if and how the new ntfs driver has changed that.
did you mean before I installed linux (or while i was installing)?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

After the installation

Return to “Beginner Questions”