no cinnamon after reboot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kc8oye
Level 1
Level 1

no cinnamon after reboot

Post by kc8oye »

I did a reboot because one program didn't want to load.. (old windows habbit). anyway, when Mint 21/Cinnamon came back up, it offered me the usual login, showed my desktop background image, then went blank, loaded my desktop icons..... .and then nothing.. no start bar, no windows manager..

i got this far by manually browsing /usr/bin and starting brave from there. so far, I can't get into a terminal either (not sure how) I can CTRL+ALT+F1 or F7 to see the back side of X11 but that's all.

it will boot off my mint install USB..

I'd post more info.. but as of now, I can't get to it.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc8oye
Level 1
Level 1

Re: no cinnamon after reboot

Post by kc8oye »

i forgot to include, I was able to start /usr/bin/x11/x-window-manager which got my desktop image back, along with the ability to move windows around..s o I'm one step closer!

i'm afraid I may have really messed something up... I was trying to get NGspice installed and was downloading and installing quite a few different things..

i'm still poking around... figured out how to get into a terminal.. tried apt-get intall --reinstall cinnamon (no help)

i think this might be of interest tho:
kc8oye@Tim-Desktop:~/Desktop$ cinnamon
cinnamon: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.8: undefined symbol: UP

readline was one of the libraries I was messing around with for NGspice

oh boy..
Details
Description:
The readline 7 upgrade breaks cinnamon. Cinnamon is linked against libreadline 6 and fails to start after upgrading to the new version due to missing libraries.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Boot the live system and restore the system with a Timeshift snapshot.
kc8oye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kc8oye »

i don't think I'm using timeshift actually.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

kc8oye wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 pmi'm afraid I may have really messed something up... I was trying to get NGspice installed and was downloading and installing quite a few different things..
Did you install the ngspice package from the Ubuntu repositories or were you installing it another way?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

kc8oye wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 pm i don't think I'm using timeshift actually.
You would not be the first person, who needs to install fresh. Hopefully you have or create before doing that a full backup of your user data.
kc8oye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kc8oye »

SMG wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:38 pm
kc8oye wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:32 pmi'm afraid I may have really messed something up... I was trying to get NGspice installed and was downloading and installing quite a few different things..
Did you install the ngspice package from the Ubuntu repositories or were you installing it another way?
i didn't know there was a package available... i was trying to do it from source.. which is why I ended up downloading, compiling and installing ReadLine 8... not knowing it would completely bork cinnamon. I'm hoping there is a way to downgrade back to readline6 w/o a full reinstall.. I can back the data up.. .that's not a big deal.. just would like to avoid the time..:)

if there is a solution, I have my mint 21.0 laptop right next to my blowed up mint. i was hoping i could install the mint 21.1 upgrade from live media.. but at first glance, that doesn't look possible either... it wants to format and start over :(
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

kc8oye wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:12 pmi didn't know there was a package available... i was trying to do it from source.. which is why I ended up downloading, compiling and installing ReadLine 8... not knowing it would completely bork cinnamon. I'm hoping there is a way to downgrade back to readline6 w/o a full reinstall..
I am not at all familiar with that and can not help.

A Timeshift snapshot taken before you started trying to install from source would be best. In fact, if you try a second time, I strongly encourage taking a snapshot (you can make a snapshot manually at a time you choose) before you start downloading and making changes. It only takes a few minutes to revert to a snapshot so if something goes sideways, you can easily get back to your starting point to try again.
kc8oye wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:12 pmif there is a solution, I have my mint 21.0 laptop right next to my blowed up mint. i was hoping i could install the mint 21.1 upgrade from live media.. but at first glance, that doesn't look possible either... it wants to format and start over :(
If you are wanting to upgrade your Mint 21 laptop to LM21.1, you can do that in Update Manager. There should be an option there under the Edit menu to upgrade. However, do take a Timeshift snapshot first. ;) Here are the instructions How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.1.

The live media is for doing a complete initial install.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
kc8oye
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: no cinnamon after reboot

Post by kc8oye »

bwahaha.. "I'd rather be lucky, than good" -- Chuck Yeager.

this seems to have solved the problem... I got cinnamon back anyway.
when you run $mysql -u root -p command in the linux you get an error message ” mysql: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.6: undefined symbol: UP”

Solution:

Step 1: Login as root

Step 2: Go to folder path #cd/usr/local/lib

there was a bunch of readline libs in there (libreadline.so.BLAH-BLAH) so i:

Step3: Create a directory #mkdir temp

Step 4: Move the files # mv /usr/local/lib/libreadline* temp

Step 5: #ldconfig

Step 6: #apt-get update

After the update the problem get solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”