Wired Connection Problem - TOSHIBA sat pro NB10t-A

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Morseman
Level 1
Level 1

Wired Connection Problem - TOSHIBA sat pro NB10t-A

Post by Morseman »

Laptop Toshiba Satellite Pro NB10T-A 12 inch.
Operating system Linux Mint 21.1 Vera MATE edition. Fully updated
Wine 8

Internet connection via 4g LTE Wifi Router, TP-Link MR6500V , running on SIM only contract with SMARTY (Three network)

Problem : - On booting up, the laptop will connect automatically with WIFI connection. but does not connect to the internet with the "wired connection".

Even though it shows the two plugs on the icon as "connected" and gives the message that it is connected at the top right corner of the screen.

Unable to access Google from Firefox browser - Server Not Found message

I have been in contact with Realtek, and they have advised me to install the r8101 driver, for linux, from a link to their download page.

This has been done, but during the install it showed up severl "errors" and "missing" parts.
I reported back to Realtek, with the information below detailing the erors and missing, to which they responded that I should contact the Linux forum for further help.

( I am new(ish) to Linux, and to this type of forum - do not know how to insert images - and not writing/working on the Toshiba laptop, so have to write the Terminal info)

Code: Select all

gerry:gerry:~Downloads/r8101-1.038.02$ sudo ./autorun.sh

Check old driver and unload it.
Build the module and install
Skipping BTF generation for /home/gerry/Downloads/r8101-1.038.02/src/r8101.ko due to unavailability of vmlinux arch/x86/Makefile:142:  CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
At main.c:167:
-SSL error: FFFFFFFF80000002:system library::No such file or directory: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:67
-SSL error: 10000080:BIO routines::no such file: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:75
Warning: modules_install: missing `system.map` file. Skipping depmod.
DEPMOD 5.15.0-67-generic
load module r8101
Updating initramfs. Please wait
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0.67-generic
Completed
gerry:gerry:~Downloads/r8101-1.038.02$
Initially, on completion of the download, I rebooted, and waited for over 25 minutes for it to connect. It was constantly searching for an IP address.

On checking the "Connection Information"... it showed there was no allocated IP address(s(

On checking the "Edit Connections" for the Ethernet connection settings, the IPV4 settings were set to DHCP Automatic
I changed that to Manual, and set up as

Address net mask Gateway
192.168.1.50 24 192.168.1.1.

rebooted and the connection was made "as normal".. but... as mentioned, Server Not Found page

As far as I can see, and understand..... the driver "seems" to be working correctly, inasmuchas, it does connect to the router . but then something is stopping it actually connecting to the internet.

My other laptop ASUS ROG 17inch has no problems connecting via same ethernet cable route.

I have also installed Windows 10 on a spare SSD, and installed it on the Toshiba laptop, which has no problems connecting properly with the internet, on wired connection or WIFI, for searching, etc, with Google, or bookmarks.

Please, can anyone solve this riddle ?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”