New Mint user: beginning to despair > settings lost after restart [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: New Mint user: beginning to despair > settings lost after restart

Post by mikeflan »

Are we saying that Logical Volume Management (LVM) can be used, but you have to pull the install USB at the right time? Or LVM should almost never be used? I know almost nothing about LVM.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am Or LVM should almost never be used?
That. For most people, it's simply an unnecessary complication.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

Hello Cosmo,
first of all: thanks for the hint.
But I did not really understand it. This is due to my lack of concepts and no experience with such processes.

The "live system", is that the downloaded Linux version on the USB stick?

When I chose reboot, I didn't get a black screen (on the first few attempts) prompting me to remove the stick. > I guess, that should have happened with my earlier attempts. Is it possible that this happens differently on different machines?

Regards
Georg
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Georg wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm The "live system", is that the downloaded Linux version on the USB stick?
Exactly right. That is what it is.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Georg wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm Is it possible that this happens differently on different machines?
No.

Actually you reported things, which I do not understand. especially
Georg wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:15 am In any case, we are talking about a Linux installed on the internal SSD and rebooted WITHOUT installation media (USB stick).
If the system was not installed - as we know now - this is strictly impossible. But how shall we know, what you actually did? So don't ask me why the message to unplug the stick does not appear for you, although it appears for any other user. Only a crystal ball could perhaps give an answer, but I cannot afford to buy it.

Or in other words: What we need is the description, what you really did.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Could it be possible that the bootable system was somehow not installed, but instead copied over from the USB stick to the disk in the machine?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Not with this description:
Georg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:45 pm I loaded Mint Cinnamon «linuxmint-21.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso» and installed on USB-drive with balenaEtcher (on Mac).

I could boot from USB-stick without problems (after switching to UEFI in BIOS)
then installed Mint according to tutorial (means formatting internal drive, that never had a Windows installation! with LVM)
gave in user details including password AND "Require my password to log in".
I do not know any tutorial, which mixes installation with copying. Also the last line in above quote would not make sense. Where in case of copying should user details and password setting get entered?
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

Hello friends, hello Moem, hello Cosmo

life has demanded my full attention and thus abstinence from the Linux Mint theme.

I can not exclude the possibility that I misremember about the exact procedure regarding the stick.
After all, everything that happens during a Linux re-installation is new to me. Even more so, I started this rather daringly on a Windows PC, which is also new to me.
Main reason, by the way, because as a die-hard Mac user I found Windows (10+11) incomprehensible and in the end unbearable...

At least I now have what seems to me a fully functional Linux Mint installed on the computer and can try it out!

Could it be that the Lenovo ThinPad has special requirements?

For me, a lingering problem is that I still do not know reconstructably what now caused the difficulties....(?)

Best regards
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:10 am Could it be that the Lenovo ThinPad has special requirements?
Perhaps for a graphic driver, but not for installing.

To my understanding this is a spare device, nothing else on it and no data to loose. So do simply a new try, this gives you more experience than any reading.
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

I would write that my problem is «SOLVED» and it's not my intention to keep this post open.

But my last comment shows that there are still ambiguities.
Can that be answered at all?
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:44 am
Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:10 am Could it be that the Lenovo ThinPad has special requirements?
Perhaps for a graphic driver, but not for installing.

To my understanding this is a spare device, nothing else on it and no data to loose. So do simply a new try, this gives you more experience than any reading.

Hi Cosmo, your answer and my new post have overlapped.

About your recommendation:
I should probably try it again, if only out of "scientific curiosity".
And yet I have already personalized quite a few things. I might have to start over with that.

After the long start I'm a bit tired of the thing. (Yet I have other computers that I can switch...)

Thanks again for all the help!
I will change to SOLVED now
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:55 am I will change to SOLVED now
Don't do this to do us a favor. Do this, if it is solved.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:40 pm The symptoms you describe, only coincide with booting from the Mint USB stick.... No other explanation I can think of.
+1

To the OP, does this make sense?
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Linux Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon)
Rescuezilla 2.4.2 (Focal)
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

Hi Cosmo,

...I'm not as "lovable" as you seem to think ;-)

To clear my confusion, I would have to go through the entire installation process again.
I haven't installed or set up so much yet that this would not be possible.

But ask whether it brings with it a gain in knowledge (?): I would know better if I tried again, what exactly I have to pay attention to.

> Can I do this with a time interval or will this topic end on its own at some point?

Actually, I was planning to start a new topic: it's about starting with BIOS, UEFI, etc. After my research on the Internet, I know that this has to be implemented very differently (depending on the manufacturer), but there will be uniform rules give - OR?

I'm wondering WHAT exactly I have to set in the BIOS in order to (a) have pure Linux operation or (b) implement a dual boot system with Windows.
Real newbies like me (who also come from the Mac) have no idea about it: that corresponds to little in the Mac world.
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

FenderGuy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:15 am
Pjotr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:40 pm The symptoms you describe, only coincide with booting from the Mint USB stick.... No other explanation I can think of.
+1

To the OP, does this make sense?
Hello FenderGuy,

I don't understand what +1 and OP mean, sorry.

As I described, I currently have a bootable and executable system that doesn't require an installer and is modifiable.

IMHO the installation was successful.
(I still don't know why or why not before...)
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:21 amHello FenderGuy,

+1 means "what the other guy said"

OP means "original poster"
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Linux Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon)
Rescuezilla 2.4.2 (Focal)
Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

FenderGuy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:29 am
Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:21 amHello FenderGuy,

+1 means "what the other guy said"

OP means "original poster"
Thanks for explanation.

While I assume that your reflections on my experiences will be correct, I cannot understand the different results of my various installation efforts.

The fact that - regardless of whether with or without an installer stick - only one copy of the installer was created on the HD the first time seems obvious to me.
In any case, I couldn't make any changes to the system until the last run, even though it was on the internal HD - probably as a pure copy.
On the one hand, my partitioning with LVM was probably a factor, but on the other hand...?...

But why the Linux installer "allows" or enables something like this at all, I can't understand.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 pm But why the Linux installer "allows" or enables something like this at all, I can't understand.
I don't understand this also. :cry: Out of a simple reason: "something" has no meaning for us. What would you think, if we would answer you with the sentence "Click something". There is nothing in your system, which is named "something".

Once again: If you do a new installation, execute in the installer (except the selection of your language (German in this case)) the very first option (use the complete disk for installing Mint), than there is no choice left to do something wrong. Near the end you enter your user name (let us assume for the test system "Georg"), set a password (12345678 is usually an extremely bad choice, but for a testing system acceptable without the risk to mismatch der signs) and then you wait, until the installer tells you, that it is ready. Select to reboot and proceed.

BTW: Threads stay for always in this forum, but half a year after the starting post the thread get set to read-only. I cannot imagine, that you want to stay at the current point for 6 months.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:18 am Can I do this with a time interval or will this topic end on its own at some point?
It will be closed at some point. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Georg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Georg »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:15 pm
Georg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:26 pm But why the Linux installer "allows" or enables something like this at all, I can't understand.
I don't understand this also. :cry: Out of a simple reason: "something" has no meaning for us. What would you think, if we would answer you with the sentence "Click something". There is nothing in your system, which is named "something".

Once again: If you do a new installation, execute in the installer (except the selection of your language (German in this case)) the very first option (use the complete disk for installing Mint), than there is no choice left to do something wrong. Near the end you enter your user name (let us assume for the test system "Georg"), set a password (12345678 is usually an extremely bad choice, but for a testing system acceptable without the risk to mismatch der signs) and then you wait, until the installer tells you, that it is ready. Select to reboot and proceed.

BTW: Threads stay for always in this forum, but half a year after the starting post the thread get set to read-only. I cannot imagine, that you want to stay at the current point for 6 months.
Hello Cosmo, thanks for answering.
I thought the meaning of my "something" would be clear from the context :-(

In fact I did the installation as you described it. At least the steps you listed.
...And I have no reason at all to tell anyone anything what's not true. Only my memory could have played tricks on me...

But - after restart - my installation seemed to be a copied version of the installer, - but on the internal volume.
That is my conclusion after all your hints. The way of partition might be of influence(?).
Unfortunately I can't say much more about this at the moment. Hopefully, with more experience, I can still remember and understand what I did wrong...

The simpliest form - with the partition by the installer and not choosing any other option - led to success. IMHO I now have a Linux Mint as it should be.

I will create another topic with the above-mentioned questions about the recommended handling of BIOS/UEFI etc.

Thanks again for all the help.
We'll meet again in the forum, won't we?

Can/must I enter the SOLVED or does the moderator do it?

Return to “Installation & Boot”