Boot recovery on a MacBook

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alankeck
Level 1
Level 1

Boot recovery on a MacBook

Post by alankeck »

Newbie here. Running LM 21.1 Xfce on a late 2007 MacBook, white plastic. Got an endless loop going on from login screen to black every 6 seconds. Right before this happened, I was using the login configuration window to get an auto login after 6 seconds.
My immediate problem: How to get this MacBook to open in recovery mode. Startup and pushing the Shift key does not work. Is there something different about the mac keyboard?
Just installed LM a few days ago. I have been customizing it, and it's been running great until this difficulty.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Boot recovery on a MacBook

Post by Reddog1 »

YES! The mac keyboard WILL NOT BRING UP THE GRUB MENU. This is a problem with linux distributions that hide the grub menu by default, if linux is the only operating system installed. There is actually a bug report on the issue filed with Ubuntu--it hasn't been fixed. It is also a serious issue with dual-boot with OSx, if the Apple is using the APFS file system, because grub does not recognize APFS. Dual-boot with APFS results in grub being hidden as if linux is installed single-boot.

Once Ubuntu/Mint is successfully booted on a mac, the first thing to do is edit /etc/default/grub to unhide grub and have a default timeout of at least 5 seconds. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, the user will be where you are, unable to bring up the grub menu because of the keyboard issue.

I believe it is an issue with the way the mac firmware handles keyboards--the keyboard will not be recognized until later in the boot process.

MXlinux is one distribution that does not hide grub on MX-only installs.
alankeck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alankeck »

Reddog1,
I really appreciate your response to my question--very informative.
So, I take it, since the endless loop can't be broken from the keyboard, drastic measures are called for. What do you think: I get a new 250Gb SSD from OWC for less than $30 and start over? I would like to continue with Mint, but maybe I should go with MXlinux. Can I safely stay with Mint if, after install, I edit </etc/default/grub> (which will probably require someone to hold my hand or a how-to article)?
Thanks.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

You can install MXlinux alongside Mint--I have a 2009 white macbook that is set up exactly that way. The last grub installed takes over the boot manager duties. It is possible to edit the other system's files, at least if the root password is the same. I have no idea what was done to completely trash the ability of your Mint to boot to desktop, so I'm no help there.

MX has some really good tools for system management and is debian-based, so it works much the same as Mint. Xfce is the default desktop.
alankeck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alankeck »

The endless loop mentioned above is still happening, but I have found a way to bring up GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) from the Mac keyboard on a Mac running only Lenux Mint. I put in the USB thumbdrive from which I installed LM 21.1 a few days ago. To get the MacBook to start up on the thumbdrive, I press and hold the "option" key and press the on/off button. Two drives were presented, I chose to open on the thumbdrive. Then presented a menu, I chose Linux Mint 21.1. The familiar LM background appeared with the "Install Linux Mint" icon. I hit the command key and the "Application" window pops up. Under "Settings" I opened "Boot Repair". I can't remember the steps; but, in the end, the Boot Repair worked and now, on startup, I get the GRUB splash page with two choices. I choose "Advanced options for Linux Mint 21.1 Xfce". The other choice, "Linux Mint 21.1 Xfce" puts me back into the login loop again. I find myself with a new GRUB menu, and I pick "Linux Mint 21.1 Xfce, with Linux 5.15.0-67-generic (recovery mode)".
For half an hour now, I look at a black page with two lines of text:
"Loading Linux 5.15.0-67-generic . . ."
"Loading initial ramdisk . . . "
Am I out of luck? Must I reinstall LM 21.1 or can I somehow work with GRUB to fix the login loop?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I was unaware the Boot Repair would rewrite an installed GRUB, changing the 'hidden' to 'menu' and the timeout from '0' to something else. At any rate, I doubt that your boot failure has anything to do with the grub configuration, grub passes boot parameters to the kernel, and not much to do with the user. I'll have to check more into its ability to unhide a grub menu hidden by default. It could be useful.

I'm not understanding how you managed to actually boot Xfce from the grub recovery menu, though. That offers a choice of kernels, with the first choice being the current kernel and the second choice being the previous kernel. The first choice kernel is the one that the 1st choice in the grub menu boots. Did you choose another kernel, other than the 1st choice in the recovery menu?

If you did, and it booted to the Xfce desktop--the problem is your kernel. But, from your description, I doubt that, because you said you were messing about with changing password login to automatic user login. How you attempted that, you didn't say. There is an app for that-- the "Login Window' app, which is installed by default. There, all that is needed is to type in your username in the box within the Automatic Login section.

Since there is no way for any of us to know what you've done (and Boot Repair can mess your system up, for sure), tell us exactly how you got to the Xfce desktop with the grub xfce recovery option.

And while you are at it, post your

Code: Select all

inxi Fxxzr
Instructions for posting inxi information is here: viewtopic.php?t=318644
alankeck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alankeck »

OK, Reddog1 and anyone else that may be following this thread, here is what I did after installing LM 21.1 Xfce as the only OS on my 2007 MacBook:
I spent time over three or four days setting up my email accounts, getting the Brave browser synced up with two other computers, connecting to the wifi, getting Google Drive operating, customizing computer settings, and becoming familiar with Xfce. I was very impressed with the system and how it rejuvenated my old MacBook. In the course of customization, I attempted to enable automatic login after 6 seconds. It was as simple as a few clicks in a window. I did not do anything with the terminal that I can remember during any part of my customization. I only use the terminal for very simple tasks or when I am given exact instructions. I am sure that will change as I continue along the Linux path.
Anyway, after attempting to set auto login and after restart, I was in the endless loop: login page with my custom background picture to black screen after 6 seconds. This went on for an hour or so on one occasion as i was doing something else. I could halt the loop by simply pushing and holding the off/on button for a few seconds. The MacBook would shutdown. To restart, I pushed the on/off button. The computer would open at login and the loop would begin.
So I try this: The MacBook is off. I insert my usb thumbdrive which I used to install LM 21.1. I start the machine while holding the option key on the mac keyboard. I have a choice of opening from my harddrive or thumbdrive. I choose the thumbdrive. Up pops a GRUB menu. From there I can boot LM 21.1 from the thumbdrive. In this live session I find a window on boot repair. I make some choices and I get a message that bootloader has been repaired. After a restart, I now get a GRUB menu right away without pushing the option key during startup. There are 5 choices. I have tried them all. Only the first one works: "Start Linux Mint 21.1 Xfce 64-bit". Surprisingly, the second option, like the first with (conditional) appended, did not work.
That is my story, but my memory is not as good as it used to be. There is a possibility that I have missed a detail. I guess I should have backed up my system on an external drive even as I was getting it up and running. I am in a live session working off the thumbdrive right now. I will attempt to send an "inxi Fxxzr" in my next post.
alankeck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alankeck »

Report on the MacBook:

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Fxxrzc0
System:
Kernel: 5.15.0-56-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0
Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.23 wm: xfwm dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
Type: Unknown System: Apple product: MacBook3,1 v: 1.0
serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 2 v: Mac-F22788C8
serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F22788C8 v: PVT serial: <superuser required>
UEFI: Apple v: MB31.88Z.008E.B02.0803051832 date: 03/05/08
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 65.5 Wh (100.0%) condition: 65.5/62.2 Wh (105.4%)
volts: 12.5 min: 11.1 model: SMP ASMB016 serial: N/A status: Full
CPU:
Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo T7500 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Core Merom rev: B cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 4 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 1989 high: 2043 min/max: 800/2200 cores: 1: 2043
2: 1936 bogomips: 8778
Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics vendor: Apple
driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: LVDS-1 empty: DVI-D-1,SVIDEO-1,VGA-1
bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:2a02
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 compositor: xfwm v: 4.16.1 driver:
X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0.0
screens: 1
Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1280x800 s-dpi: 96
Monitor-1: LVDS-1 model: Apple Color LCD res: 1280x800 dpi: 114
diag: 347mm (13.6")
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel 965GM (CL) v: 2.1 Mesa 22.0.5
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Apple driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:284b
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-56-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n vendor: Apple AirPort Extreme
driver: b43-pci-bridge v: N/A pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:4328
Device-2: Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet driver: sky2 v: 1.30
pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
chip-ID: 11ab:436a
IF: ens5 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
Device-1: Apple Bluetooth HCI type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 3-1:3
chip-ID: 05ac:8205
Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: <filter>
bt-v: 1.2 lmp-v: 2.0 sub-v: 7ad
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 177.69 GiB used: 8.8 MiB (0.0%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS542516K9SA00 size: 149.05 GiB
speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: <filter>
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 28.64 GiB
serial: <filter>
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 1.91 GiB used: 117.4 MiB (6.0%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102
ID-2: /var/log size: 25.59 GiB used: 8.8 MiB (0.0%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sdb3
Swap:
Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 81.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
Packages: apt: 2063
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
1: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 21.1 _Vera_ - Release amd64 20221217]/ jammy main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com vera main upstream import backport
2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
Info:
Processes: 209 Uptime: 6h 43m Memory: 3.81 GiB used: 1.54 GiB (40.3%)
Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.3.0 alt: 11 Shell: Bash
v: 5.1.16 running-in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.3.13
mint@mint:~$
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

This is interesting. It could be hardware (your HD is 16 years old--past the life expectancy of a spinner), OR, it could be Mint, itself. I attempted to boot my 2009 macbook with a Mint 21.1 live usb, and it never made it to the desktop. Sometimes it got as far as the green Mint logo, and sometime not. This laptop is actually running Mint 20.2, with the 5.4 kernel.

Booting with MX linux and the 5.10 kernel was successful, and so was booting with Manjaro live with the 5.15 kernel.

I noticed that your temperatiure is quite high, even for an Apple. A 'normal' apple without a heavy load will have a temp of 60+/-.

Also, I'm wondering why your live inxi is showing the laptop display, but also showing what appears to be a touchscreen display. This isn't 'normal'.

I've attached my own inxi (from the Manjaro live) so that you can see what mine looks like. If I were you, I'd install a different distribution, assuming you HD is good. MX is quite nice. The default is Xfce, but once installed, Cinnamon can be installed and either desktop can be chosen at the log-in screen.

Code: Select all

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ inxi -Fxxzrc0
System:
  Kernel: 5.15.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0
    Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.29 wm: xfwm dm: LightDM
    Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Unknown System: Apple product: MacBook4,1 v: 1.0
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 2 v: Mac-F22788A9
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F22788A9 v: PVT serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: Apple v: MB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535 date: 02/09/08
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 44.7 Wh (88.9%) condition: 50.3/54.7 Wh (92.0%)
    volts: 12.5 min: 10.9 model: SMP ASMB016 serial: N/A status: Charging
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo T8100 bits: 64 type: MCP
    arch: Core Penryn rev: 6 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 918 high: 1038 min/max: 800/2100 cores: 1: 1038 2: 798
    bogomips: 8381
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics vendor: Apple
    driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:2a02
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.3 compositor: xfwm4 driver:
    loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1280x800~60Hz
    s-dpi: 96
alankeck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alankeck »

An update: The endless loop problem was never fixed on the 2007 MacBook running LM 21.1. I decided to start over. I attempted to install MX Linux, but I could never get beyond 12% on the progress bar. Incidentally, I ran a memory test (a menu item on GRUB) prior to the MXL install attempt. The test took four hours, but not a single bit was out of place. I tried, unsuccessfully, several times to install MXL. The popup window said, "Failed to format partition." The live log said, "FAILED phase 1--Failed to format partition." So I hit the abort button.

Finally, went back to LM 21.1. It installed first try. I'm running it now, but I think I will install a new SSD from Other World Computing and attempt another MXL install on this old laptop. Chalk this up to an ongoing learning experience . . . and I am learning a lot! Just the other day I learned how to verify .iso files with check sums.

I'm resurrecting another 2007 computer--an iMac, 24" display. MXL installed first time. I'm still kicking tires and learning my way around MXL. And to think just a month ago, I mistook these old computers for junk.

Thanks to Reddog for recommending MXL, and pointing out my MacBook is running hot. I will keep an eye on it. Also, I don't know where the touch screen display comes from.

Return to “Beginner Questions”