Reordering Menu categories in Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nonhocapito
Level 1
Level 1

Reordering Menu categories in Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Post by nonhocapito »

I have just installed Mint 21.1 cinnamon, and I would like to reorder the categories in the menu.

It would be good if I could also reorganize the items within the different categories, but reordering the categories is a basic necessity.

The standard cinnamon menu editor doesn't do it.

I downloaded Menu libre from the Software Manager, it seems to let me do some changes, they are even permanent within the software, but they are not reflected in the menu.

I then tried alacarte, and it doesn't work (won't allow me to move up or down any item, even if I can click on such buttons.)

Probably the aforementioned software versions are not designed to work with Mint 21.1..?

I see that a more recent version of menu libre can be found on github, but the installing of dependencies and building of the app requires too much effort and appears gruesome at first try.

Is there any tested way to easily achieve this in Mint 21.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Reordering Menu categories in Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

You can't reorder categories with a menu editor. The Cinnamon menu applet creates the categories labels at run time from the Categories variable in each app's .desktop file, and sorts them alphabetically. To make it use some other order you'd have to edit the applet code; https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/t ... nnamon.org.

You can also look if maybe there is a different menu applet that does what you want. Through Settings > Applets you can browse and install any available applets. You can also browse applets online first if you want: https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets. I don't readily know of a menu applet that does what you want.
nonhocapito
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Reordering Menu categories in Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Post by nonhocapito »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 am You can't reorder categories with a menu editor.
Yet I think this is what Menu Libre or Alacarte are designed to do?

Return to “Software & Applications”