Volume Control black not white

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Patricia_Haldine
Level 1
Level 1

Volume Control black not white

Post by Patricia_Haldine »

Hello,

I've only been using Mint MATE for a few days and for some reason the Volume Control icon in the top panel has changed to black (all other icons are white) and is somewhat hard to see on my screen. How do I restore it to white ?

Thanks

Trish
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Volume Control black not white

Post by michael-hi »

Hello Trish

I don't normally use the MATE version of Mint but I've just been checking out the latest Live version (Mint 21.1) on a USB stick. It seems unlikely that only the volume icon would change colour. I say that because it's one of a small set of icons - including battery and network icons - which together constitute a single panel item (the XApp Status Applet).

On the other hand, it is possible to add another separate icon called Volume Control to the panel. When I tried this it did indeed get added as a black icon, even though all the other icons were white, and I can't see any way of changing it to white. So I wonder if you added this (possibly unnecessary) icon and now have two volume icons?

If not, you could try adding the XApp Status Applet to the panel and see if that gives you a white volume icon. Good luck with moving it to where you want it on the panel, though. That's not easy in MATE. A middle-click just above and to the right of the icon should give a grab hand symbol and enable you to drag it. Or check out the panel's Help pages.

The other option is to go to Appearance in the menu and experiment with different themes. It looks like Mint-Y themes give you a dark panel and Mint-X themes a light panel. Then click the Customize... button and select the Icons tab. If your icon theme matches your main Appearance theme, you would expect the icons to be properly visible. If not, try different icon themes and see if it makes any difference on the panel. It's also easy to change the colour of the panel, which might help: right-click on the panel, select Properties and then the Background tab.

Good Luck... :D

Return to “MATE”