4 Years On Linux - Annual Update!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

4 Years On Linux - Annual Update!

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

I am now into my fourth year using only Linux. I always post here since I started on Linux Mint.

My last update was filled with concerns and complaints and ruffled a few feathers. I was considering migrating to BSD. But that didn't turn out to be necessary. I'll go over what my issues were and how they've (mostly) been solved. This is all subjective opinion based on my experience as a user. I'm not a tech, admin, programmer or computer-guru.

The biggest positive change for me was leaving the Ubuntu stream and switching to the RHEL stream. I decided to try Fedora again. It's definitely a different experience after 2+ years in Unix-space as opposed to 3 months! I can say I've definitely found the perfect place for me. So, let's look at how Fedora addressed a lot of my complaints from 2021:

1) For me, Linux means: Desktops, GUI apps and conveniences; that's what the Linux world has given us and I am very grateful for that. I have apps for graphics, audio, video, wireless, word processing etc. That's all great, but under the hood it's still Unix. I find that 95% of everything in old Unix manuals works perfectly fine most of the time, sometimes with a few tweaks. This is just my subjective user experience, but RHEL seems to get that better than Ubuntu and its derivatives. I find it a much better balance between the Unix and Linux layers. Everything is better organized and it's much easier to implement Unix solutions to problems. So I'm much happier now, I don't feel like the system is fighting against itself to be something it isn't. Not that there aren't some great Linux tools like SELinux and Fedora Toolkit etc. It's just that, in general, Linux gives me a screaming migraine and Unix never does.

3) Ubuntu-based distros are focused on things that don't interest me:
Streaming Entertainment: Don't use it.
Bluetooth Connectivity: Don't use it.
Browser Apps: Only use them for work.
Touchpad Gestures: I only need a few basic gestures.
Fedora is much more oriented toward things that I use and am interested in: security, containerization, emulation, CLI tools, archiving, document management etc. That's really made my experience a better one.

4) I finally sorted out my package-management woes: Flatpak. Only using Flatpaks has made everything easier. I really liked GUIX but that's one of those GNU things that will never be finished.

5) I also finally settled on a DE: KDE Plasma. It has everything I need, want and like. The app suite is perfect for my use-cases: KDE Connect, Vaults, Wallet, KOrganizer, system tools, customization (for functionality) plus Dolphin is easily the best GUI file manager I've ever used. It's almost an operating system in itself!

6) I've now switched to Fedora Silverblue: this has truly eliminated most of my Linux complaints. By containerizing everything, there are rarely any software breakages or system conflicts. It's an incredibly smooth ride. In fact, I can now concentrate 100% on productivity and creativity. The only problem I've had since switching to Fedora was a clipboard bug on one Plasma installation that was fixed by an update within 24 hours.

7) Granted it was my first ever file-server, but my Ubuntu server was a janky mess. My Alma server (also RHEL) has worked perfectly since I set it up. Of course, I learned a lot in the past year, but the out-of-the-box tools and defaults on Alma seem far better than on my Ubuntu server.

All in all, a banner year (9 months, actually). Fedora Silverblue + Flatpak + KDE Plasma delivers everything I need and has solved most of my complains & issues. For now, Linux is the only way to have a "real" Unix system easily - a completely open system (unlike MacOS) that is easy to install and get software on. It's Linux or the highway and I'm sticking with Unix, it's the only system I've ever really loved. So I am compelled to make Linux work for me and I think I (finally) have.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 4 Years On Linux - Annual Update!

Post by Pjotr »

Well, good for you. :wink:

Mint "just works" for me. Rock-solid, reliable as a ship's diesel engine, looking good OOTB, user-friendly and long term supported. The best of everything.

I don't like the short support periods and general "bleeding-edginess" of Fedora (although I still fondly remember the beautiful graphical art work in Fedora 7).

But each to his own. Happy trails, mate. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

It sounds like to me that you are more into the server side of things then a daily driver desktop version. So, I can see how Fedora would appeal to you. Thats great. However, If you really want to have fun on the server side of things try out debian. I have quite a few servers running it and its going to be more rock solid than fedora. Reason being is fedora is cutting edge and more or less a test bed for Redhat.

I have had very few issues with Mint. I use it as my daily driver plus the addition of VMs. I do not use containerization because VB does everything I need it to do so I can concentrate on getting work done. I also do not use flatpaks or whatever. No need. Also, I would walk away from ubuntu quicker than encountering a rabid racoon. I do not agree with ubuntu's devs ideas. I consider ubuntu the windows 11 of linux flavors.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

The journey is the adventure. I too use Fedora on most of my Desktops and Servers. I also use Mint on a few, but far and away prefer Fedora. It's just an overall smoother and more secure experience.

For those seriously into security, like full paranoia level, or just those that need to securely use applications from multiple OS in one session; there is Qubes OS. I use it for the latter.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

good for you,

BUT, MINT Cinnamon is the BEST of them all.

I tried those other things you mentioned, none of them came close to what Mint Cinnamon has to offer.

Brick Solid Desktop, no fuss, no mess.

I converted my sister to Mint Cinnamon and she is a MS Windows devotee....
but when Windows crashes, she has to buy a new computer.
( she lives in Rural Utah desert, no gurus there to help her when things crash )

When the power goes out with mint, it just recovers itself, and back up she goes again.

Sissy is now 73, I am 80, and we don't like change.... Mint makes it easy for me and her.
glad you are happy, but you missed the mark, IMO...
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

To each their own, glad there is choice, as I won't take a flatpak till there no such choice. As of now there is no 'real' need to use them, only perceived.
It's just an overall smoother and more secure experience.

For those seriously into security, like full paranoia level,
How can it be "more" secure (rhetorical), it simply it can't be "more" secure, because there is not one singe documented case of anyone being compromised on a Mint system, and that includes the guy who left his root directory world writable for an unknown amount of time. That is what's known as a non argument. At best, equally secure.

Full paranoia, now that does describe some people. So little time we get on the blue marble, shame to waste it worrying about needless things.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

I have never tried Fedora, OpenSuse, RedHat, etc. The names just don't give me that user-friendly vibe...don't even know how to describe it.
And I'm not going to try it just because of your post. No, I'm no longer into that easily-influenced type of user. I used to be.

Good for you you found something that fits your needs. I was like you before, announcing to the whole world how I liked my newfound distro
and wished everyone should do the same.

Me I'll forever be a Linux Mint fan. Like they always say, "Behind every man there's a great woman." In this case, behind every great OS there's a great man. That's how I choose my distro now, the people behind it. Not just some guy or two in the basement struggling to manage and squash bugs all on their own...
Cheers...
Last edited by rick gen on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Fedora is a great project, and deserves everyone's respect in Linux community
as long as it is not installed as their regular desktop :lol:

You don't surf the web, you don't watch movies on your computer, you don't play games on Linux...
then... of course... certainly... why not... Fedora is the best Linux distribution :mrgreen:
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

I posted this in Chat About Linux to make it clear that my post wasn't directed at LM. I used LM as my main OS 2/20-12/20. Debian Stable was my main OS in 2021. In 2022 I switched to Kubuntu but I started to get tired of the Ubuntu way of doing things. I started using Fedora 9/22 and by 1/23 I had moved to full RHEL-only adoption.

I have nothing negative to say about LM, it's just not what I settled on. And I'm not interested in stuff like Hypnotix etc.

Audio/Visual media works fine on Fedora. Graphics software works great on Fedora. I don't play/care about games - is there actually a Linux system that doesn't suck at games?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pm I posted this in Chat About Linux to make it clear that my post wasn't directed at LM. I used LM as my main OS 2/20-12/20. Debian Stable was my main OS in 2021. In 2022 I switched to Kubuntu but I started to get tired of the Ubuntu way of doing things. I started using Fedora 9/22 and by 1/23 I had moved to full RHEL-only adoption.

I have nothing negative to say about LM, it's just not what I settled on. And I'm not interested in stuff like Hypnotix etc.

Audio/Visual media works fine on Fedora. Graphics software works great on Fedora. I don't play/care about games - is there actually a Linux system that doesn't suck at games?
then why bother to come back here?

we support MINT, not any of that other stuff you mention
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:22 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pm I posted this in Chat About Linux to make it clear that my post wasn't directed at LM. I used LM as my main OS 2/20-12/20. Debian Stable was my main OS in 2021. In 2022 I switched to Kubuntu but I started to get tired of the Ubuntu way of doing things. I started using Fedora 9/22 and by 1/23 I had moved to full RHEL-only adoption.

then why bother to come back here?

we support MINT, not any of that other stuff you mention
Wow, that's intense. I said why in OP. Why have this sub-forum if the only subject allowed is LM? It's a Distro not a religion LoL :lol: :roll:
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Bring your Fedora second tomorrow, at dawn!

coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Folks, Do not start arguing about which flavor of linux is better. Rather be happy that you have linux in any flavor at all. You could still be tied to the tit of MS windows if not for linux. So, Every flavor of linux has its audience. Each flavor is great in its own way. Celebrate the different flavors out there that are available. Be happy that your not stuck in the evil environment of windows or apple. Understand that you are tasting freedom - and nothing compares to the taste of freedom.
freedom-birds.png
freedom-birds.png (116.74 KiB) Viewed 936 times
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pmis there actually a Linux system that doesn't suck at games?
I haven't had many issues gaming on LM as you will see by my signature :)
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

There are tens and tens of Linux distros to choose from. If you're a beginner you'll virtually have zero clue which one to choose. You then rely on google searches. There you find sites that say, "Top 10 distros for beginners; Best 5 distros for Windows users," etc.

I suspect this is one reason why some distros in the Distrowatch's list came to be on top 5 or 10. These websites have very powerful influence in steering beginners where to go and what to pick. I've been there.

If you're a beginner, you won't know what derivative it is, ie, Ubuntu-based, Debian, Arch, etc. You won't even care.

I settled for Linux Mint, just to make my long journey short, which took me years...

It's been rock solid, and I'm not going to say it's the most secure like Debian users claim theirs is. That to me is a blanket statement that can't be proven and which I'll never buy.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

I don't compare Distros to each other: Linux is just the most recent development in the endless branching/forking of Unix that started in the early 1970's. There are some differences between dev groups, though. As I said in OP (no one seems to read OP's here!) this is all subjective user-side opinion. If a better (for me), non-Linux Unix (SerenityOS may turn out to be just that) that was also Free As In Freedom appeared, I'd switch to it. I have a few preferences (KDE, Emacs etc.) but I don't "get" the Distro-Wars thing. Some people loved AT&T Unix, some still swear by Sun Microsystems Unix servers from the 90's, some folks are still pining for Yellow Dog and so on, there will always be differences of opinion since Unix is like water, you can pour into any container and it will take that shape. Unlike Windows, MacOS or ChromeOS, with Unix it really depends on what you use it for. My dayjob and hobbies deal a lot with document management, so that's what I'm looking for in an OS, as far as core functionality goes.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

thom_A wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:35 pm It's been rock solid, and I'm not going to say it's the most secure like Debian users claim theirs is. That to me is a blanket statement that can't be proven and which I'll never buy.
On any flavor, Its as secure as you wish to make it.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

coffee412 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pm
thom_A wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:35 pm It's been rock solid, and I'm not going to say it's the most secure like Debian users claim theirs is. That to me is a blanket statement that can't be proven and which I'll never buy.
On any flavor, Its as secure as you wish to make it.
Security comes in many forms. No doubt many users get easily influenced by what other users mention in a forum, security being one of them. They look down on one distro while elevating the other.

That provides sense of security just being a user of such so-called "secure" OS, whether imagined or real.

To me it's a bit different. It's about knowing whatever happens all my data, personal or not, are backed up externally. I still use an old version of Paragon (12) for backing up my multi-boot partitions. I have done it for years that I can bring it back where it was if something happens. But nowadays I rarely use it because whenever I install a new Mint version, nothing ever breaks. It's just a matter of knowing what to do if things happen.

To some and for me as well it's about privacy issues, but that's another topic that needs another thread.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am The journey is the adventure. I too use Fedora on most of my Desktops and Servers. I also use Mint on a few, but far and away prefer Fedora. It's just an overall smoother and more secure experience....
This notion that one distro is more secure than another is rubbish. All Linux distros use kernels from the same place. Other GNU/Linux components as well. There just isn't that much difference between distros really. The main thing is support. Most users, esp. beginners, should use Mint, Ubuntu, or Fedora for that reason.

I prefer distros using the Debian packaging system, plus Debian based systems have more software in the repos. But if I was installing Linux on very new hardware I'd definitely consider Fedora, it's more bleeding edge.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 am
This notion that one distro is more secure than another is rubbish.
Whether it's rubbish or not they have to believe it's true to give them sense of security, real or imagined. Like I mentioned, it's a blanket statement that can never be proven. Which just tells me there's some elitistic behavior going on on that side of the pond, "Yours is inferior..."

When I use Windows (10 or 11), I no longer install anti-viruses like Mcafee, Norton, AVG, etc. like I used to in earlier Win versions. I just rely on its built in Defender. It's just so silly to me adding another spy to an already existing one, which I can't claim I can prove. In the end, when it comes to security you're on your own. No one in this planet can be trusted.
Last edited by thom_A on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”