Typos on LM "About" page

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Typos on LM "About" page

Post by ander111 »

Hey guys,

I noticed that this entry on Mint's About page (linuxmint.com/about.php):
It's safe and reliable. Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture,
...had some typos:

• The period after "reliable" makes the rest of the entry an incomplete sentence. Instead, you can replace the period with a comma and un-capitalize "Thanks".

• With the sentence combined, a comma after "Manager" helps readability.

• The final comma should be a period.

Thus:
It's safe and reliable, thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager, and the robustness of its Linux architecture.
If you wished, you could simplify it a bit, and even add an exciting long dash (woo!):
It's safe and reliable—thanks to conservative software updates, a unique Update Manager, and its robust Linux architecture.
Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Typos on LM "About" page

Post by ander111 »

Okay, I live in a small town, and it's been a slow day... Still, though. ☺️
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Thanks! All fixed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If we are going to be picky, there's really no need for a comma after Manager. :roll: :lol:
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

sleeper12 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:43 pm If we are going to be picky, there's really no need for a comma after Manager. :roll: :lol:
Correct. An "and" acts the way a comma does, i.e. "The X, Y, Z and W are all letters."
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sleeper12 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:43 pm If we are going to be picky, there's really no need for a comma after Manager. :roll: :lol:
Do you write for AP? AP style guide leaves it out, however, Chicago requires it.

This is what is commonly known as a serial comma or an "Oxford comma". Per Scribbler, here are the recommendations for when it is or is not to be used. The answer is it depends on for whom you are writing. You'll notice websites are not on the list so I think Clem gets to decide. :mrgreen:
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Well, I suppose one can make a case for or against most anything. I don't remember ever learning of a serial comma in school, but I'm old (70). And no, I don't write for AP or anyone.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Interesting observations! I love discussing this stuff, and am glad you don't mind. (My wife would have other ideas. 😏 )

As a tech writer, I focus on concision and readability. I'm a fan of omitting so-called "Oxford commas", which often seem included out of obligation rather than need. But in this sentence:
It's safe and reliable—thanks to conservative software updates, a unique Update Manager, and its robust Linux architecture.
...I agree, the comma after "Manager" makes it clear that the rest of the sentence refers to LM, not the Manager. Most people would get that anyway—but the less mental processing required, the better (especially in a list, which should be as concise as possible to work well).

Cheers!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

ander111 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 am Interesting observations! I love discussing this stuff, and am glad you don't mind. (My wife would have other ideas. 😏 )
I like your wife.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Question, what's worse than the grammar police? Answer, just about nothing.

Yes, it must have been a slow day, for knit-picking such things when the meaning is clearly known to all is just blanking blank.

Please don't read anything I write as I don't much care about whether I am 100% correct to an English professor, as long as it's readable. Not being paid by the word, and I have bigger things to worry about.

Lastly, and frankly having a period, or a comma after reliable just plain looks better than that double dash, which may be more correct, but does not improve readability.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

rene wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:35 am I like your wife.
Yes, and it’s amazing she likes me anyway, ain’t it? 🤷

rickNS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:15 am Question, what's worse than the grammar police? Answer, just about nothing.
You probably meant “Answer: Just about nothing”, but I’m not going to say that as it’d be too, you know, spectrum-y.

rickNS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:15 am Yes, it must have been a slow day, for knit-picking such things when the meaning is clearly known to all is just blanking blank...
Indeed—and 99% of the time I do ignore such things. But see, Mint is so great, I want it to look as good as possible—including to some of the über-picky computer peeps I’ve known (and it’s been a pleasure nonetheless, really), as I know they'd deeply dig Mint, but some of them (incorrectly) connect such trivial things as website copy with software quality. So in this case, my motives are good 'n' Minty.

rickNS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:15 am Please don't read anything I write as I don't much care about whether I am 100% correct to an English professor, as long as it's readable. Not being paid by the word, and I have bigger things to worry about.
Wisely put! Content creation is always most important—and you can't do that when you're worried about details. When I write music, documentation or creative copy, I try to turn off my editor brain completely. Going back and touching stuff up is just like the janitor coming in and sweeping after the work's done. (No offense to any janitors reading this... It's just a metaphor.)

rickNS wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:15 am Lastly, and frankly having a period, or a comma after reliable just plain looks better than that double dash, which may be more correct, but does not improve readability.
I won’t even go back and look at what you referred to, as I trust your judgment. ☺️👍

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”