Appimages tray icons don't look good

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thenerdyguy
Level 3
Level 3

Appimages tray icons don't look good

Post by thenerdyguy »

I use Filen for cloud, it comes in an appimage format. The icon that appears in the tray is all blurry. Is there a way to improve that?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Appimages tray icons don't look good

Post by SMG »

thenerdyguy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm I use Filen for cloud, it comes in an appimage format. The icon that appears in the tray is all blurry. Is there a way to improve that?
I went to the Filen website to see what it is and none of the images on their page seemed that crisp to me.

Unless all the icons in your tray are blurry, the issue with the Filen for cloud icon is probably related to the icon they supply. If you find another one you like better, you can probably switch it out.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

thenerdyguy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm I use Filen for cloud, it comes in an appimage format. The icon that appears in the tray is all blurry. Is there a way to improve that?
Based on a few Issues threads on https://github.com/FilenCloudDienste/fi ... top/issues it seems to be an unresolved issue with Windows users, too. The default icon appears to be 1024x1024, but I suspect it is reverting to one of the low-resolution icons for the task tray. You might be able to improve things by increasing the Symbolic icon size in the Panel settings, but that would also increase the size for all of the icons.

If you are interested in replacing the generic "gear" icon with the official FilenCloud icon, the easiest and quickest way is to download the image from GitHub. I recommend you save it to the same directory/folder where the AppImage resides. This is a 200x200 pixels image, which should be reasonable clear as a desktop icon. I recommend you save it to the same directory/folder where the AppImage resides.

To change the default icon to the official one, right-click on the AppImage and select Properties. Click on the current icon to open the Chose an icon dialog, and click on Browse. Navigate to the folder where you saved the icon, select it, and click the Open button. This will return you to the Chose an icon dialog. Click the icon, click Select, and then exit the properties.

If you want a higher-resolution icon, several are embedded in the AppImage itself. From your file manager, navigate to the folder where the AppImage resides.Right-click on an empty place in the file window and select Open in terminal from the fly-out menu. At the prompt, enter (or Copy/Paste)

Code: Select all

./filen_x86_64.AppImage --appimage-extract
The contents of the AppImage will be extracted to a folder named squashfs-root, and you will find icons up to 1024x1024 in the squashfs-root/usr/share/icons/hicolor folder. Copy the icon you want to use to the folder where the AppImage resides, and then delete the squashfs-root folder.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Etienne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Etienne »

I've had the same issue and just solved it by reducing the icon size of the icons in the tray, which is fine with me.

If it's still relevant, you could right-click on the panel > [Panel Settings] > under [Panel appearance] click on [Right Zone]. I've then reduced the [Colored icon size] to 16px and the [Symbolic icon size] also to 16px.

With that done, the Filen tray icon looks crisp and neat.

Return to “Software & Applications”