Linux networking (Samba issues)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shookvt2023
Level 1
Level 1

Linux networking (Samba issues)

Post by shookvt2023 »

I really want to switch to Mint and leave windows forever. However, I have a small home network mainly to share media between computers. I have tried and tried but cannot get Linux to share a drive over the network to other Linux computers. I don't understand why Linux makes this so hard. I have downloaded and installed Samba and set up a Samba share but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux networking (Samba issues)

Post by RowlandP »

shookvt2023 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:15 pm I really want to switch to Mint and leave windows forever. However, I have a small home network mainly to share media between computers. I have tried and tried but cannot get Linux to share a drive over the network to other Linux computers. I don't understand why Linux makes this so hard. I have downloaded and installed Samba and set up a Samba share but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
It will definitely help if you told us how you have configured Samba, the output of:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
Will help.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux networking (Samba issues)

Post by altair4 »

Only because you didn't tell us:

What version of Mint you are using
How you shared the folder
What versions of the OS you are using on the clients
And also because you seem to be in a different time zone you might want to post the output of at least these commands in addition to the one in the previous post:

net usershare info --long

smbd -V
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”