Network cable connection only after reboot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Benavraham
Level 1
Level 1

Network cable connection only after reboot

Post by Benavraham »

My Dell Optiplex 7010 is running on Mint 21 Cinnamon. On startup, it recognizes a wifi antenna, but it does not recognize the internet cable until I restart it. The cable and the router are obviously okay, since the connection is established on restart. Any ideas how this irritation can be resolved?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Network cable connection only after reboot

Post by rene »

This, https://forum.manjaro.org/t/network-onl ... rt/67003/2, says you'll have it working if you in the BIOS set the adapter to "Enabled w/PXE". PXE is network boot which is likely to say that for plain "Enabled" the NIC isn't (far enough) initialized by the BIOS for Linux to find it even present -- as such also (if the PXE option makes for a long-ish delay) try if you maybe have things working when disabling some sort of BIOS-sides "Quick Boot" or alike setting.

Although the PXE and/or (not) Quick Boot BIOS choice will likely work I'd also with the NIC set to plain Enabled again scroll through sudo dmesg | less to potentially find a firmware issue for the not BIOS-initialized card which you could then perhaps fix more focusedly.
Benavraham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Benavraham »

Many thanks. I'll try.
Benavraham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Benavraham »

Well, I followed your URL link but to no avail. The BIOS doesn't give me any choice of "Enabled" etc. Thanks, anyway!

Return to “Networking”