[solved]Re-installing Software Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FoulerTripod363
Level 1
Level 1

[solved]Re-installing Software Manager

Post by FoulerTripod363 »

Hello I have a rather curious question: is it possible to re-install the software manager :?: I am asking that because i am thinking to uninstall the software manager alongside the browsers to maximize efficiency. Now I may need to re-install it in case I need more essential software so is it possible to re-install it :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Your average computer science college student
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Re-installing Software Manager

Post by karlchen »

Hello, FoulerTripod363.
FoulerTripod363 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:04 pm[...] i am thinking to uninstall the software manager alongside the browsers to maximize efficiency. [...]
I admit I honestly wonder what kind of efficiency might be maximized by uninstalling the Software Manager and some browsers?
Software Manager and web browsers will only use CPU time and main memory provided you have started them up yourself.
As long as you do not start them, they will occupy some disk space for their binary files. That's all.
So again which efficiency gain do you imagine to achieve by uninstalling them?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
FoulerTripod363
Level 1
Level 1

I did not mean the CPU efficiency i meant my brains efficiency i want to eliminate distraction i use cold turkey on windows but i didnt find any good alternative for linux so i said screw it lets only have efficiency apps
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I have no idea, how anything can detract, if it is not visible. And the software manager does by guarantee not jump out of nothing on the screen.

Besides that: It is impossible to remove the software manager without removing complete cinnamon. If you want to do a test, don't forget to create a Timeshift snapshot at first.
FoulerTripod363
Level 1
Level 1

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:33 pm I have no idea, how anything can detract, if it is not visible. And the software manager does by guarantee not jump out of nothing on the screen.

Besides that: It is impossible to remove the software manager without removing complete cinnamon. If you want to do a test, don't forget to create a Timeshift snapshot at first.
I see thanks for that tip i just have some procrastination like ill download chrome and spend 2 hours on youtube it is just unacceptable of myself thats why i used coldturkey on my windows it blocks me of all the distractions even the unwanted apps i want to be free from all distractions i really need to work but my heart does not desire with my mind and sick from the math. I hope yall understand me
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I understand nothing.
FoulerTripod363
Level 1
Level 1

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:41 am I understand nothing.
dont worry about it- thanks anyway
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

None of this makes any sense. If you don't want Software Manager (or any other program) to distract you, don't run it unless you need it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Hoser,
My take on the OP's problem is that he doesn't have the will power not to run other programs, that's why he uses the term, "cold turkey".
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

FoulerTripod363 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:47 pm i just have some procrastination like ill download chrome and spend 2 hours on youtube it is just unacceptable of myself thats why
Simple, throw away the power cord. If a laptop, it will stop when the battery is flat. If a desktop it won't go.
Absolutely no distractions if the computer is dead.

Also, get on your bicycle and ride for a 100km a day or if you don't have one, run for a couple of hours a day. That will sort you out mentally.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Have you taken a look at any of these:

https://alternativeto.net/software/cold ... form=linux
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

For me, I will focus on the things in line with my goals, not the socially engineered tangent entrapment games that make me pretend I am trying to hold myself back from the other things that are more to my actual interesting goals, -before you know it, I would be considered handicapped with some official documented affliction. But simply, I just do not choose that, because my focus time is spent on the goals only, not the social affliction.
FoulerTripod363
Level 1
Level 1

decrepit wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:14 pm Hoser,
My take on the OP's problem is that he doesn't have the will power not to run other programs, that's why he uses the term, "cold turkey".
you kind of right but cold turkey is a software to block websites, games and applications it helps me keep stayed focus as i block every distraction website and just dont worry about getting into youtube and procrastinate
FoulerTripod363
Level 1
Level 1

zcot wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:23 am For me, I will focus on the things in line with my goals, not the socially engineered tangent entrapment games that make me pretend I am trying to hold myself back from the other things that are more to my actual interesting goals, -before you know it, I would be considered handicapped with some official documented affliction. But simply, I just do not choose that, because my focus time is spent on the goals only, not the social affliction.
check your private message

Return to “Beginner Questions”