Dummy output in Positivo N1250

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ADNFX
Level 1
Level 1

Dummy output in Positivo N1250

Post by ADNFX »

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new in the Linux world, and I would say I'm victim of my own lack of expertise. This "dummy output" issue followed me in every distro I tried, but only in two I have managed to get around. See my previous thread: viewtopic.php?t=377830

As I said there, the first distro I was able to fix the issue was in BigLinux, they taught me how to download and install two specific packages, "linux-es8336-516" and "linux-es8336-516-headers". After the reboot, AlsaMixer detected the sound outputs and all I needed was to readjust the volume. The only issue that remained was the need of tweaking AlsaMixer after every reboot, which annoyed me, and the sound disappeared if I suspended the session. Given that BigLInux is based on Manjaro, I was unsure if I could use the same trick to restore the sound in other distros, but I found a way.

On Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, I simply "forced" the OS to install a different kernel by typing this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-oem-22.04
The 5.17 kernel appeared in the Update Manager, and the sound cards finally appeared on AlsaMixer. I readjusted the volumes and voilà, the sound is back! The issue, however, was again having to readjust the sound after every reboot. I was able to find a solution here: https://github.com/yangxiaohua2009/cust ... l/issues/9

All I needed to do was typing this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

echo '(sleep 16; amixer sset Headphone 3,3) &' >> ~/.profile
The system was all set.

------------------------------------------------------

I'm not very interested in keeping the Ubuntu base anymore, as I really don't use or need the latest packages, which is why I'm considering LMDE 5. I would like to know if it is possible to use the Ubuntu kernel that I used above on LMDE 5, or if that solution is exclusive for Ubuntu-based distros. I'm already aware of the kernel issue, but I'm not qualified to fix it comfortably on my own. The solution was apparently found here: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20211121190 ... 7@sal.lan/

And it seems that a custom kernel as found here https://github.com/yangxiaohua2009/custom-kernel is enough to fix it at once, but I simply don't know how to install that. Something like "sudo clone git", but I'm a noob, I can't do this on my own. I would like to know if I can fix the sound on LMDE 5 using that custom kernel, how can I do that and it's possible to use the same procedure in most of the other distros.

Kind regards,
ADNFX.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dummy output in Positivo N1250

Post by SMG »

ADNFX wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 amI would like to know if it is possible to use the Ubuntu kernel that I used above on LMDE 5, or if that solution is exclusive for Ubuntu-based distros.
No, you can not use Ubuntu kernels on LMDE5.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Hardware Support”