formatting extera HDD in 32bit

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mortda
Level 1
Level 1

formatting extera HDD in 32bit

Post by mortda »

I have read a number of posts regarding formatting HDD They all seem to talk about formatting for a permanent linux Storage unit or as a USB drive
The problem I have that I'm not doing either of these, I have an extra sata HDD which I have temporarily attached to the system which I need to format in 32bit format., this drive is to be fitted to another device which uses either Journaled ( it is not a Mac machine) or 32 bit format.The default of this device is to format new HDD in a Journaled format but I need to have it in format in 32bit when I fitted so that I can load off the information that will be on it and view it using a another device that allow this easily, ie Linux.
So I need to know to go about this
Cheers mortda
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daStenz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: formatting extera HDD in 32bit

Post by daStenz »

The most common FS that can be read by Windows as well as Linux is FAT32 and NTFS.
FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB though.
That leaves you with NTFS as the preferred filesystem.
mortda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mortda »

The hard drive needs to be in a 32bit format as it is not going into a windows system but into a system that will only reconize the HDD being formatted in either a Journaled or 32bit format
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Which system might that be?

And what do you understand as 32 bit format? Drive formats are FAT (in several variants), NTFS, ext (in variants), btrfs and APFS (and some exotic).
mortda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mortda »

This HDD is to replace a currently corrupt HDD on a Satellite receiver top box that has the ability to also record.
The original was formatted with Journaled, which made offloaded recordings hard to view
when plugged into other systems ie Linux, window with out doing a file conversion, which was not always sucessful
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

I have a Humax sattelite box. When it needed a new hdd I simply put the blank drive into the Humax and it formatted the new drive itself. I read up on the subject and the old drive was a 500 gig. The largest it would take was a 1tb which is what I duly installed. Also the original drive was slimline being about half the height of more common drives which wont fit. So either get a half height or a 2.5 in some kind of caddy
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If the satellite box of the OP should really be a Humax device, than:

1. it would format a new drive automatically at the first connection.
2. Humax does not use any mysterious 32 bit file format (which does not exist).
3. Humax has an own support in case of trouble.
4. I cannot find an explanation, why the OP did keep this name as secret.
5. This question is in the wrong forum. Mint does not have a satellite receiver (with whatever name).
Aughey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aughey »

The originator of the post never stated what brand of STB he needed the drive for. I do know that the Humax uses Linux though it is probably heavily modded by the company
mortda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mortda »

The device is a UltraPlus X9200HD-PVR. We have had this Top Box for nearly ten years, It has been a good unit apart from having a tedency to lockup when scrolling through the list of recordings from time to time, about 2 weeks ago we had a power cut that last 30-45 seconds,normallty this would have been no problem except this time when accessing the recorded list that only 12% of the total HDD was shown to be availbe and, only a couple of programs that were being recorded at the time were shown to be available on that 12% and the other 88% of the recorded programs on the list were not showing, but the disk isindicating that the other 88% is used but it is not showing the programs, it's like the disk has been sectioned into two parts, I thought I might be able to plug it into the Linux PC as a slave to see if the files would be recoverable, thats when I ran into the road block of the Journaled format., So I decided to get a new HDD and format it with Fat32, ( hense the query of formatting a HDD with Fat 32 using linux)) but have now realised that is only on USB devices and the top box will automatically format the new HDD with a Journaled format. One of the reasons for that formatting it seems the ability it is Quicker to bring filesystems back online after a crash
It seems I might still be able to view the contents on the old HDD by installing the "hfsprog" program, I will try using this on the old HDD after I have fitted the new one to the top box and see how I go.
Thanks for all the comments they have been greatly appreciated and informative mortda

Return to “Hardware Support”