extending HP Stream storage - simply?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
awediohead
Level 1
Level 1

extending HP Stream storage - simply?

Post by awediohead »

I've been helping a friend who inherited an older Intel Celeron based HP Stream "laptop" and who is valiantly trying to become more familiar with tech in order to have some idea about how to keep her 10 year old daughter safe(r) online, despite being entirely uninterested for her own sake.

She's been using Linux Mint for simple letter writing and emails for a couple of years, but as that probably equates to less than five hours of actual use in that time, we're realistically talking about an absolute beginner. Hence the need to keep things super simple and even "invisible".

This laptop has a 32GB built in flash storage which is soldered and not upgradeable. I'm trying to figure out a fairly robust and simple way to extend this storage with a USB flash drive. I was wondering about the possibility of getting her one of those physically tiny flash drives with about 64 or 128GB of storage and somehow making this extra storage available "as if" is were an extension of the internal flash.

Though I may well have totally misunderstood, I was wondering if there might be a role for LVM in doing this as I've read about it being an "abstraction layer" that allows you to add multiple drives together but let them me treated as one.

Any thoughts or advice? I have the laptop with me for a few days because it borked an update simply because it ran out of space. I've done a fresh install after rescuing various documents and photos, but would like to hand it back with a bit more storage wriggle room!
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: extending HP Stream storage - simply?

Post by mikeflan »

Please type this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxmprz
Post the output to this forum in "Code" tags. The button that inserts these tags is marked </>, which is in the mini toolbar above the edit box where you type your reply.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=364929

Return to “Installation & Boot”