Will the cursor bug be fixed in 21.2?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yeehawwww
Level 1
Level 1

Will the cursor bug be fixed in 21.2?

Post by yeehawwww »

The bug where if you change the cursor, the default Bibata one appears when it's over Qt-based applications. Is this bug going to be fixed in 21.2?
Also I recall a bug where installing Breeze icons automatically sets your Qt cursor to Breeze.

To be frank, I don't like the Bibata cursor. It's really big and chunky and going from DMZ to Bibata in one release is a stark change.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Will the cursor bug be fixed in 21.2?

Post by SMG »

yeehawwww wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:11 pm The bug where if you change the cursor, the default Bibata one appears when it's over Qt-based applications.
Please see this topic [SOLVED] Mouse Pointer Reverts to Bibata (Cinnamon) where it was pointed out that this situation is mentioned in the release notes.
Mouse Pointer theme in root, Qt and Flatpak applications

To modify the pointer theme for root and Qt applications you need to set it system-wide using the update-alternatives command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
To get a Flatpak to use your pointer theme, install and run Flatseal. Select your Flatpak and give it permissions for "All user files" and/or "All system files".
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
yeehawwww
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeehawwww »

SMG wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:35 pm
yeehawwww wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:11 pm The bug where if you change the cursor, the default Bibata one appears when it's over Qt-based applications.
Please see this topic [SOLVED] Mouse Pointer Reverts to Bibata (Cinnamon) where it was pointed out that this situation is mentioned in the release notes.
Mouse Pointer theme in root, Qt and Flatpak applications

To modify the pointer theme for root and Qt applications you need to set it system-wide using the update-alternatives command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
To get a Flatpak to use your pointer theme, install and run Flatseal. Select your Flatpak and give it permissions for "All user files" and/or "All system files".
I saw how to fix it, but I imagine it's something that confuses newbie-er users. This is by design? Could've sworn it was a bug. It's a pretty odd hitch for an otherwise GUI-centric system, can't the cursor changing procedure itself be reworked to automatically apply the Qt and flatpak cursors of the same type?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

yeehawwww wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:46 pmCould've sworn it was a bug.
Where did you see it reported as a bug?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I found this Mouse pointer changing. #11341 , but I don't know if that describes both issues you mentioned.

It appears there is fix: cursor not changing for qt5 apps on settings #11492 in the works for #11341.

I don't know anything more than what is listed in those two links.
yeehawwww
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeehawwww »

SMG wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:53 pm
yeehawwww wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:46 pmCould've sworn it was a bug.
Where did you see it reported as a bug?
Just the nature of it made me think it was a bug, it seems like an oversight. Hope it changes, the user experience on a popular beginner-friendly distro like this is priceless.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”