Screen turns off without reason

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JulenRa
Level 1
Level 1

Screen turns off without reason

Post by JulenRa »

When i start my computer, i can use it normally by some time. But after a few time(like 30 minutes) without any reason the screen turns off. The screen says that there is no signal, but the sounds and the computer still working. When that happens i just turn off my computer forcely. I have a theory of why it happens. One day i was doing homework while updating. Then, the computer just got like crashed, so i decided to shut it down forcely. I guess it just corrupted the OS and that's why it does the screen thing.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Screen turns off without reason

Post by Cosmo. »

I have no theory because we do not know, about which system you are talking. Open in the menu -> system report -> system information -> click the copy button; paste in your next post.

Besides that: If "forcely shut down" means, that you did press and hold the power button, than yes, this can easily corrupt parts of your system, but the symptoms would be usually quite different.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

JulenRa wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:54 am When i start my computer, i can use it normally by some time. But after a few time (like 30 minutes) without any reason the screen turns off. (...)
Hmm... Let's start with the basics :
  • When your screen mysteriously turns off "without any reason", does it comes back on as soon as you move your mouse or touch the keyboard ?
  • Go into Menu > Preferences > Power Management and set it to Turn off the screen when inactive for 45 minutes.
  • Don't touch anything, including the mouse ! And make sure you don't have any video playing, music or automated updates going on.
  • Come back after 44 minutes. Does your screen turns off "without any reason" about 45 minutes after your last key press or mouse move ?
CinnamonPowerManagement.png

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:30 am (...) Besides that: If "forcely shut down" means, that you did press and hold the power button, than yes, this can easily corrupt parts of your system, but the symptoms would be usually quite different.
I recently came across some reassuring post about that forced power off, somewhere here in those LM forums. According to this post, when forced power off, the system leaves in a messy state, but there are automated cleaning and checking procedures done automatically on the next boot. Except... Maybe... if there was some system updates being done, which could be the case here... (I can't remember exactly where I saw this post and what it was saying.)
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

sebastjava wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:47 am I recently came across some reassuring post about that forced power off, somewhere here in those LM forums. According to this post, when forced power off, the system leaves in a messy state, but there are automated cleaning and checking procedures done automatically on the next boot.
Automated check ... yes
Automated cleaning ... there is nothing to clean. With much luck something can get repaired, with less luck a new installation is needed, because a damaged file system is often beyond any repair. And possibly not even the next boot takes place at all.

Return to “Other topics”