Paid help troubleshooting LM freezing bugs.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Paid help troubleshooting LM freezing bugs.

Post by mintybarrels »

And what does turning power management off do?

I should just try and put this in the grub for a run and see if it solves my freezing problem for that session?

THanks for your input.

MB
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Yes, you should just try it. And if you want to know what power management does, do a little internet research. :wink:
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

Now the touchpad doesn't work.

What else you got?

Fun experiment tho

MB
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Reboot. Then you'll be back where you were.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

mintybarrels wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:18 pm Now the touchpad doesn't work.

What else you got?

Fun experiment tho

MB
Any hint on the combinations you tried?
If it isn't power options, then it sounds like there's bad ram.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

Hey Team!

I've tried a lot of things.

I had 32GB of RAM installed and it passed the pro MemTestx86, or whatever the deal was at the shop. I also just switched my SSDs to see if it was related to the port of use for the m.2 s. But, I'm still getting the freeze, so to me, I'm thinking this is LM O/S related. Both SSDs pass the EUFI smart tests, as does the RAM.

I reinstalled windows and updated the firmware.

I do think it might be related to suspend - as that is one of the times it most consistently freezes, after a long sleep. Although, not always.

Somehow, also, it seems more likely to happen when I'm using rhythmbox.

I'm considering trying another distro to see if I still have the same issue. MX Linux, Bodhi Linux are top of my list. Fedora from the live boot also looks nice, but then I have to learn all new CLI commands.

Sometimes, I think it could be related to auto-cpufreq....

The freeze is very particular.... it doesn't totally freeze up. First the audio cuts out (or, that could be the last thing to cut out with graphic freezes) , then I'll get a few more clicks that work, then if I try to close an app, or open terminal, it's just perpetually trying, then the GUI freezes... BUT, the mouse still works, and I can use ctl, alt, sys key, S U B to reboot still. Usually I reboot this way - sick of waiting, but I've waited for it a few times, and eventually, things catch up and all the actions I tried to do, but that got stuck in perpetual trying, all suddenly happen all at once, then a notification I can't read in time because the whole system is shutting down immediately.

Sometimes, typically coming back from suspend, it will properly freeze.

I appreciate everyone's POV, but it is incredibly frustrating trying to pinpoint this issue. I can only assume that the hardware is too new, and the kernel isn't rigged up for it yet? 21.1 runs great on my old laptop, even. I really just wish it would be stable enough on this newer one.

MB
Last edited by mintybarrels on Tue May 23, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

acpi=off
turns off cpu freqency scaling
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

Code: Select all

May 23 17:35:41 ElectroBrainX acpid[792]: input device has been disconnected, fd 16
This was one of my last log entries on my last freeze. What does it mean? I haven't seen this before this instance.

MB
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

No touchpad, again, among other things....

But, I'll let it run a bit.

So, if it didn't freeze in this state, what would that mean? That my problem is related to Power Management, or ACPI drivers?

MB
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

Centri_Fuge

Post by Centri_Fuge »

Have you considered purchasing new hardware that comes with natively-installed Linux? That will get you the support you need without having to call in a tech each time you require assistance. Some of the big vendors such as Dell can sell you exactly what you are looking for, including a support contract that won't break the bank.

Another alternative is one of the smaller hardware vendors who specialize exclusively in Linux. Try these for example, you might be better off in the long run, since it seems your time is the most expensive commodity here.

And if you want to stay on the inexpensive side, pick up a Chromebook. It comes with its own Linux environment if you choose to install it, with lots of free support. I'm not a shill for any of these vendors, but there is a market for these more specific types of products, if you are looking for one-stop support.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-xps-13-2022

https://system76.com/?ref=itsfoss.com

https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/TUXE ... tsfoss.com

https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 5439?hl=en
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

I meam, if only I knew before ordering this laptop for $2000.....

Anyways... Here's hoping I solved the problem with a new crucial ssd.

I think SMG was right, it was a hardware issue and I'm so sorry for doubting.

MB

Return to “Non-technical Questions”