New Desktop Computer - Part 1 (Predelivery Preparation)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

New Desktop Computer - Part 1 (Predelivery Preparation)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

After years of working on a monster custom made desktop computer case that kept getting interrupted by other, more pressing projects or disasters, such as dropping a MOBO with the CPU cooler atttached, damaging the computer, etc., I've finally decided that I'm never going to finish it any time soon (if ever) and got rid of the QE2's boat anchor (seriously, it was too heavy for me to pick up) when I got rid of my old shed.

I ordered a Thelio Mira from System 76. It may take up to 10 days before they have it built and shipped. In the meantime, I need to get my desk area ready for the computer before it arrives. The first step was getting rid of that incomplete desktop computer.

The computer will sit on a night stand beside my desk alongside my flatbed scanner on the vacant space previously occupied by the incomplete computer. I had started on the monster case back when I was still on Win 7. I had planned on using six monitors and had them already mounted on a "bridge" in front of an inconveniently located window on the west wall of my bedroom.

1.jpg

However, since Linux has easily accessible multiple workspaces (of which I use more than one daily), three monitors will be plenty. When I took this picture, I had already removed one of the superfluous monitors.

The monitor stand was designed to allow easily removing monitors by lifting a pin on a monitor's mount, tip the bottom forward, then simply lift it off. However, I had spaced the monitors so close together, it was impossible to tilt the bottom ones up enough to remove them so I had to remove the four screws on the VESA mount behind the monitors. That took an hour. The end ones were fairly easy to get to; they only took 15 minutes each to remove. The center one's screws, however, were harder to get to and it took 30 minutes of fiddling and fooling around to get those pesky, little screws removed.

Even though the stand is a good sturdy one, I had taped the side edges of them together so they wouldn't gap apart. I Used gaffer's tape since it's cloth backed, making it stronger than "duct" tape, and it is not supposed to leave residue behind when removed like "duct" tape will. Apparently, that is true only for short term use and these monitors had been up for a few years. :roll:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Granted, "duct" tape would have been weaker and would have left far more of a mess behind than the Gaffer's tape did but it still was a bit annoying. I haven't bothered to remove the residue since the three monitors are going into storage. Also, though something like Goof Off or naphtha based lighter fluid will remove the residue, it could also damage the plastic shell of the monitor so I'm just not going to worry about it until I need to, if ever (I did clean off the residue on the power cables I had bundled with gaffer's tape). I now have four spare monitors (I bought a spare monitor in case one died and ASUS had discontinued them, which they now have). I also saved four of the stands for them.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: New Desktop Computer - Part 1 (Predelivery Preparation)

To protect the monitors while in storage, I first "mummified" them in a few layers of bubble wrap (I had been sitting on a partial roll of the stuff I bought a few years—decades?— ago).

4.jpg

I'm now down to three monitors, an articulated monitor arm, and a cable jungle.

5.jpg
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Here are a couple of closer views of the monitor arms and the cable jungle.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Lovely, isn't it? Even though I would use my 18v Ryobi shop blower once every week or so to blow out dust behind the monitors, it was impossible to keep all the dust out. :roll:

Removing that the monitor arm assembly and thinning out the cable jungle is going to be "fun" (spoiler alert; it was really "fun").
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

This is a shot of the power strip where the monitors' power cords are plugged in.

8.jpg

Since the power switches on the monitors were on the bottom edge and the monitors were so close together, I left the all the monitors and the power strip switched on and plugged the power strip into a remote controlled switch that was plugged into the surge protection only side of the UPS (the UPS is on a shelf on the back of the nightstand to get it off the floor). I have the fob that controls the remote control switch Velcroed to the side of the night stand.

11.jpg

Since there are only three monitors and their three power switches are now quickly and easily accessible, I'm probably going to eliminate the remote controlled switch, leave the power switch switched on, and connect it directly to the UPS. This will eliminate some of the dust catching cable clutter behind the nightstand.

I've pulled all the monitor power cables out for now to get them out of the way to make cable management and cleaning up dust easier, and clean up the ones that had tape residue on them. I need to get some outlet safety plugs to put in the unused outlets to keep dust out.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sun May 14, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I have three HDMI splitters that take three feeds from the computer, each one splitting a feed between a monitor and one of the three HDMI inputs on my 43" TV. This shot show the wall-wart PSUs of the powered splitters plugged into their own power strip hiding behind some of the cable jungle.

9.jpg

All that needs to be done there (besides dealing with the cable jungle) is clean up the dust and put safety plugs in the unused outlets. This power strip also has to be left powered on at all times to be able to get the feeds from the computer to get past the splitters.

And this delightful mess (to put it charitably) are the powered HDMI splitters themselves.

10.jpg

I'll probably have to tear everything apart to properly manage the cables and get rid of The Great Dust Bowl. I'm NOT looking forward to that!
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I should have mentioned while talking about removing the center bottom row monitor that I didn't have room to use even a stubby screw driver to get the VESA mounting screws out. Fortunately, I have a couple of ratcheting offset screw drivers. This one will take a variety bits; I used a #2 Phillips here.

12.jpg

14.jpg

That little jewel has saved my bacon I don't know how many times.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Here, I've removed the monitor mounting arms (actually, one arm with two wings).

15.jpg

That would have been a nightmare if it hadn't been for that handy dandy offset screwdriver. I had to use two different hex bits on this one.

The one part of the mounting arm that isn't practical to remove is the part the arm was bolted to that clamps to the mounting mast.

17.jpg

I would have to remove the upper monitors and the mast to get this part off. That just "ain't gonna happen'".

What I can do is rotate it 180° and slide up to the upper clamp (after it has been lowered to lower the remaining three monitors). Lowering the upper clamp is going to be dicey since the mounting arm, wings, and three monitors are a bit heavy. To ensure the assembly doesn't drop too far when I loosen the upper clamp, I can move the lower camp up towards the upper clamp and cinch it down so, when I loosen the upper clamp, it won't be able to slide down too far. Once everything is where everything is supposed to be, I'll just leave the lower clamp in place since it will be hidden by the center monitor.

Then I'll get to clean up the cable management and shovel out the rest of the dust. Whoopie.
Jeannie

BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:40 pm I ordered a Thelio Mira from System 76. It may take up to 10 days before they have it built and shipped. In the meantime, I need to get my desk area ready for the computer before it arrives. The first step was getting rid of that incomplete desktop computer.
I too have a Thelio Mira on order. I ordered mine on 05/03. I am hoping that it will ship early next week, but I am hearing that they (System76) are pretty busy and it has been running about 4-5 weeks for shipment.

I ended up doing a massive reorganization of my desk in preparation as well, not quite the size of your job, mostly cable management.

I put Pop_OS! in a VM for some testing before the machine arrives since I intend to run Pop on the Mira, but the Wife really likes Mint. As a compromise I loaded the Cinnamon Desktop Environment for her. No problems yet, Cinnamon seems to run very well on Pop.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BwingBob wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:21 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:40 pm ...I put Pop_OS! in a VM for some testing before the machine arrives since I intend to run Pop on the Mira, but the Wife really likes Mint. As a compromise I loaded the Cinnamon Desktop Environment for her. No problems yet, Cinnamon seems to run very well on Pop.

Bob
I wasn't too impressed with POP!_OS so I stayed with Mint when I got my System 76 laptop and I'll be putting Mint on the Mira. I ordered my Mira with Ubuntu. A concern I have with POP!_OS is, if System 76 goes belly up, support for POP!_OS goes with it. I don't see that happening to Mint in my lifetime (keep in mind I'm a flatulent geriatric).

Isn't cable management "fun"? :wink:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I, too, am now thinking of one of those units. Similar specs, and also either Mint or Fedora Cinnamon. AMD graphics card. Now to start saving the retirement money.....
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:40 pm if System 76 goes belly up, support for POP!_OS goes with it.
If System76 goes belly up, I can switch to another distribution, one of the advantages of Linux is the choice.

Cable management is NOT fun, especially for a flatulent geriatric like myself. I think my knees only have one more cable management session left in them.

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

MurphCID wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:11 am I, too, am now thinking of one of those units. Similar specs, and also either Mint or Fedora Cinnamon. AMD graphics card. Now to start saving the retirement money.....
Murph, I too am retired, I just suck at it. I am doing a little contract work, mostly from home, for my last employer. I will post a full review once the unit arrives and I have had some time with it.

I bought one of their Launch Heavy keyboards earlier this year and really like it. Buy toys while working!

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

When and if I order it, I am going to get the launch heavy keyboards as well.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BwingBob wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:08 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:40 pm if System 76 goes belly up, support for POP!_OS goes with it.
If System76 goes belly up, I can switch to another distribution, one of the advantages of Linux is the choice.

Cable management is NOT fun, especially for a flatulent geriatric like myself. I think my knees only have one more cable management session left in them.

Bob
With my ADHD, change, learning things, and relearning things do not come easily for me. That's why I prefer to use my time learning to use a distro that has a better chance at sticking around for a while. Of course, that's me; many others are able to change distros as easily as changing their undies.
Jeannie

BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

MurphCID wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:39 am When and if I order it, I am going to get the launch heavy keyboards as well.
It's a nice keyboard, they got the Heavy part right. I am pretty sure the keyboard would still be intact after the nuclear blast.

Bob
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BwingBob wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 am ...I will post a full review once the (Mira) arrives and I have had some time with it...

Bob
You must have read my mind (I know, short read :wink: ); I was going to ask you to do that. Maybe we can start a thread where people can review their computers, telling us what's good and bad about them and the company they bought them from.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BwingBob wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:47 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:39 am When and if I order it, I am going to get the launch heavy keyboards as well.
It's a nice keyboard, they got the Heavy part right. I am pretty sure the keyboard would still be intact after the nuclear blast.

Bob
It ought to be heavy! It has a chassis milled from solid aluminum! It's built like an armored tank! It could be used as a weapon during a home invasion.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Way back when I set up the six monitors, I used thin Velcro ties designed for bundling cables and gaffer's tape to bundle the cables for the monitors. I later found out that the plasticizers used to make the jackets of the HDMI cables reacted to the adhesive in on the gaffer's tape, forming a sticky icky goo that was a bear to clean up, which I did back then.

Last night, I discovered the power cables for the two six socket power strips had also been bundled with gaffer's tape. :roll: It took an hour and a half for me to peel off that nasty mess and clean off the ooey gooey with Goof Off, lighter fluid (naphtha), and IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale), then rebundle them with the Velcro ties. Cleaning the cables was unbelievably nasty! This is how the bundled cables looks after cleaning them up and bundling them.

1.jpg

I also eliminated the remote controlled switch. Now that I've gone to trouble of bundling them, I'm thinking I might undo the bundle, shorten the cable on the power strip the power cables from the remaining three monitors will be plugged into and daisy chain it into the power strip the wall wart PSUs for the HDMI spliters are plugged into. That will make one less cable going to the UPS in the new "umbilical cord" I'll be building

The three HDMI cables that went from the old computer wannabe to the HDMI splitter and the other three that went directly to the monitor (all six had a mini Display Port to HDMI dongle attached to the computer end) had been bundled into one "umbilical cord" I had to break up that bundling so I could remove the three no longer needed cables. I need to do some rerouting and cleaning up before I can rebundle them.

2.jpg
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I also cleaned up the dust on the two power strips.

3.jpg

4.jpg
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Today, I had to go grocery shopping, hit Ace Hardware for some stuff, and pick up my snail mail from my mail service. One of the items I got from Ace was some child safety plugs to go into the unused plugs in the power strips to keep out dust. Sadly, they didn't fit and would have looked like heck anyway. :( I'll need to figure out a Plan B, maybe a strip of thin plastic stuck over the unused outlets with some double sided carpet tape. I'll have to think on that a bit.

The Thelio Mira has room for four M.2 NVMe SSDs. I'm going to use three of those for data storage and the other one for the boot (OS and programs) drive. When Samsung came out with the 980 Pro, instead of being MLC like the 970s had been, they were only TLC so I bought a few spare 512GB 970 Pros (Samsung has been slipping and Sabrent is leaving them in Sabrent's dust). I'm going to use one of those for the boot drive. For the data drives, I had to order three new ones. If I ever need more storage, I can replace the 512 GB Sammy 970 with a Sabrent 8TB and set aside a 100GB or so partition for a boot partition.

They came in today. Here are the unprofessional glamour shots.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

But wait, there's more!
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Tue May 16, 2023 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”