New Desktop Computer - Part 1 (Predelivery Preparation)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: New Desktop Computer - Part 1 (Predelivery Preparation)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

All three of the 8TB m.2 data SSDs have been populated. My poor laptop gets to rest tonight.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Durn it, I was inspired and ordered this:

Thelio Mira

Walnut - Classical style in a rich brown finish
Birch - High contrast for a contemporary feel $20.00
Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS with full disk-encryption
5.4 GHz Ryzen 7 7700X (Up to 5.4GHz - 8 Cores - 16 Threads)
32 GB Dual Channel DDR5 up to 4800 MHz (2x 16GB)
500 GB PCIe Gen4 Up to Seq Read: 5000 MB/s, Seq Write: 4000 MB/s
1 TB PCIe Gen4 Up to Seq Read: 7000 MB/s, Write: 5000 MB/s
No Additional Storage
8 GB Radeon RX 6600 with 1792 Stream Processors
750 W Power Supply
Built-in Intel® WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5
1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Normal Assembly - Ships within 10 business days from assembly

After I update any firmware, I will most likely install Mint. I will be transferring 3 2.5" SSDs from my Windows Computer. Including the game disk.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:42 am Durn it, I was inspired and ordered this:

Thelio Mira
So, you pulled the trigger?

Mine arrived yesterday, spent evening getting it setup. So far it's an looking like it is going to be a great machine. The NVME drive is making my old SATA SSDs seem slow. 6.7GB/s vs 550MB/s.

I opened the case and installed a Gigabit Eagle RX6600 (already owned one) and a couple of 1TB SSDs, easy peasy.

The IO cutouts for the motherboard were the biggest complaints I saw in reviews. Well, System76 has modified the case to use a standard IO cutout so if the motherboard is upgraded you no longer need a CNC machine to make the case match the new motherboard.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BwingBob wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 pm ...Mine arrived yesterday, spent evening getting it setup...
Now that my back is out, I'm actually hoping they take their own sweet time delivering mine so my stupid back has more time to heal. :roll: Go figure. I'm glad you like your new machine...

BwingBob wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 pm ...The IO cutouts for the motherboard were the biggest complaints I saw in reviews. Well, System76 has modified the case to use a standard IO cutout so if the motherboard is upgraded you no longer need a CNC machine to make the case match the new motherboard.

Bob
You don't need a CNC to cut metal. Just some fine tooth saw blades, drill bits, files, calipers, and one "heckuva" lot of patience (been there, done that). Still, redesigning the rear I/O port opening was a very wise move on their part.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Despite my stupid back being out of whack, I got bored this morning so I decided to make some joining plates for the monitors.

The two "joints" where my three monitors butt up to each other have never been completely secure, even with the gaffer's tape on the backside and move slightly out of alignment every now and then and have to be pushed back into alignment. To fix this, I'm going to try some joining plates at the corners of the monitors where they meet.

First, I made a template from a 3" x 5" note card.

1.jpg

I used the template to layout the four joining plates on a piece of 1/32" thick aluminum.

2.jpg

Then I cut them out free hand at the bandsaw. Then came one of my least favorite things to do: clean up the saw marks by filing (I "hates" filing!). As much as I hate filing, it actually wasn't too bad. Here, I set a joining plate on top of two monitors just to see how it would look.

3.jpg

It'll do.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Here are the joining plates after I finished filing them all.

4.jpg

I had to shorten one leg of the top one down so it would clear the power button on the bottom of the left monitor. One surprise I received is, when I set up the monitors, I got the angles of of the left and right ones pretty much dead nuts identical. I love it when things like that happen!

After filing, I scrubbed them with a red Scotch-Brite pad to get rid of most of the oxide layer and scrubbed them down some more with IPA. Then, I stuck some 3M VHB tape on one side. I applied the tape before painting so I wouldn't damage the paint later while prepping for the tape. Here, I've primed and painted the joining plates.

5.jpg

Now, it's hurry up and wait for a couple of days before I can install the Joining plates
Jeannie

grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Post by grndplane »

Hi Jeannie,

I am trying to understand the purpose of the HDMI splitters. Don't they just take a HDMI input and split it into two outputs? So you would have the same picture on both outputs.
Why do you need that? Do you have another set of monitors in another room? I am dense, so I am probably not seeing the obvious. It all looks like very good work. Have fun.

-Mike
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Post by grndplane »

Ok I reread, I missed the part about the 43 inch tv. Smart idea. :D
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

grndplane wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:41 pm Ok I reread, I missed the part about the 43 inch tv. Smart idea. :D
Thanks! Those pesky little details get us all the time. :wink:
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I got impatient and installed the joining plates. After initially sticking them to the monitors, I used a 24" F clamp to temporarily clamp between the top and bottom plates of each set in multiple places to ensure that the adhesive of the VHB tape made adequate contact. The plates aren't not going anywhere soon, if ever.

1.jpg

Now, it's back to hurry up and wait for my back to heal.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Mine is ordered and I am waiting to see when it will arrive. I will most likely do POP!_OS for firmware updates, and then install Mint. I had to get real on the specs, and do not need either a 12 or 16 core processor.

Some trepidation on my part over getting finally rid of my Windows desktop, wondering if Linux will be able to handle all the tasks I need, but most importantly if I can learn enough to configure and run a fully spec'ed out multi drive desktop system. When finished, I will have six drives in it, 4x 2.5" and two NVMe drives. There is the fear of something new and different. I am also concerned by being able to use my all-in-one printer/scanner/copier (HP) so I can scan and copy like I do under Windows. Also .pdf handling once Adobe Reader is no longer available. It is a big step for me, and there is some residual nervousness about the impending move to complete Linux.

For iTunes, I am keeping a single Windows laptop with iTunes, and might get a very gently used Mac at some point so I can get rid of the Windows devices completely.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:37 am Mine is ordered and I am waiting to see when it will arrive. I will most likely do POP!_OS for firmware updates, and then install Mint. I had to get real on the specs, and do not need either a 12 or 16 core processor.

Some trepidation on my part over getting finally rid of my Windows desktop, wondering if Linux will be able to handle all the tasks I need, but most importantly if I can learn enough to configure and run a fully spec'ed out multi drive desktop system. When finished, I will have six drives in it, 4x 2.5" and two NVMe drives. There is the fear of something new and different. I am also concerned by being able to use my all-in-one printer/scanner/copier (HP) so I can scan and copy like I do under Windows. Also .pdf handling once Adobe Reader is no longer available. It is a big step for me, and there is some residual nervousness about the impending move to complete Linux.

For iTunes, I am keeping a single Windows laptop with iTunes, and might get a very gently used Mac at some point so I can get rid of the Windows devices completely.
I've been Windblows free for a little over three years. It involved finding new programs to do what I used to do in Windows and adopting new work process to achieve my needs differently. It took a fair amount of ingenuity, out of the box thinking, and just plain old fashioned dumb luck to get there. The thing is to not think trapped inside the Windwoes box. So far, the only program or function I had in Windfroze I can't achieve in Linux is the Amazon Kindle reader app which Amazon, in their infinite wisdom [/sarcasm], chose not to make for Linux. I worked around that by using the Amazon cloud reader.

Since I will be on the injured list for some time (stupid blown back :roll: :( and unable to work on most projects), I need to get my rear in gear and post a tutorial or two on how to automagically mount added internal HDDs using FSTAB entries and enable TRIM operations for external SSDS over USB.

You might want to look into VueScan (hamrick.com) to see if it it will be compatible with your printer/scanner all-in-one. You do have to pay for it but the license is lifetime and can be used on up to four computers at a time. I prefer using separate scanners and printers. You can get better quality, compatibility, and versatility that way.

There are free Linux compatible programs that will handle PDF reading and minor creation and minor editing available. An out-of-the-box way for creating PDFs that also can be easily edited with a free program is to create a document in LibreOffice Writer, then save as a PDF with the embedding option enabled in the PDF. That way, if you ever need to edit it, just open the PDF in Writer and the original .odt document will automagically appear so you can do whatever you want to it.

For dealing with iTunes, you might consider looking into using Wine or (better?) Crossover. You may also try running it from Windfoes in a VM or similar. I never had iTunes since I trust Apple no more than I trust Windslows. I get better quality music by ripping it from CDs and I own the music and play it wherever I want whenever I want on whatever machine I want (greedy old bi...broad, aren't I?).
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Doing nothing while (im)patiently waiting for my stupid blown back to heal up (which could take weeks) is driving me up the wall, halfway across the ceiling, dropping to the floor, rinse and repeat, ad infinitum, ad nauseam. :roll:

I'm going to try to get to my mail service tomorrow (or Saturday?) and pick up some parts I ordered for making a USB "hub" so I can have USB ports from the rear I/O of the printer easily available at the back of my desk. I need to drill (saw) a series of holes in the case which normally would require the use of my drill press for accuracy but, since I would be even crazier than I already am to lug Evergreen's Ever Given's anchor...er...drill press to my washing machine to use it, I working on a workaround to keep the holes properly centered that won't hurt my back any more than it already is. I'll go into more detail once I actually get the parts and start (pardon my profanity) working on it.

So far, I haven't heard any word on when the new computer will be built and shipped, which, for a change, is just fine with me (and my misbegotten back).
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:41 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:37 am ...Some trepidation on my part over getting finally rid of my Windows desktop, wondering if Linux will be able to handle all the tasks I need, but most importantly if I can learn enough to configure and run a fully spec'ed out multi drive desktop system. When finished, I will have six drives in it, 4x 2.5" and two NVMe drives....
...Since I will be on the injured list for some time (stupid blown back :roll: :( and unable to work on most projects), I need to get my rear in gear and post a tutorial or two on how to automagically mount added internal HDDs using FSTAB entries and enable TRIM operations for external SSDS over USB...
I just carried out my threat and made a tutorial on how to get an internal drive to automagically mount.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:13 pm

I just carried out my threat and made a tutorial on how to get an internal drive to automagically mount.
And I am very sure YOURS will have ALL the steps necessary rather than many tutorials where they leave out that one.little.step.....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:38 am

And I am very sure YOURS will have ALL the steps necessary rather than many tutorials where they leave out that one.little.step.....
Thanks but keep in mind that, contrary to popular belief, I'm human (huwoman?) and, being only human, I can make mistakes so if you, or anyone else, have a problem with any tutorial or advice I write, please let me know so I can fix it.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:18 pm

Thanks but keep in mind that, contrary to popular belief, I'm human (huwoman?) and, being only human, I can make mistakes so if you, or anyone else, have a problem with any tutorial or advice I write, please let me know so I can fix it.
You sell yourself short. You should be getting the Thelio RSN since they have started shipping....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:47 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:18 pm

You sell yourself short. You should be getting the Thelio RSN since they have started shipping....
Short? I'll have you know I'm a tall, old broad and I'm not for sale! :lol: :wink:

All seriousness aside, I hope they don't ship mine too soon. My back is still a mell of a hess.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I was going to make a trash waddle and pick up parts I needed from ACE Hardware and my mail service yesterday but I got only as far as bagging the trash. I got off to a late start today because, beside my back being rude, I was feeling a bit nauseated. I'm telling you, this old age business sucks!

From Ace, I bought the shortest cheapest 16/2 extension cord I could find (6 feet) and a replacement outlet. A little while ago, I cut the extension cord down to 16 inches and added the replacement outlet on the end. I used this to extend the length of the power cord for my TV to allow me to route along with the other cables running down the side of the monitor mast so it is no longer hanging out in the open.

I was still feeling lousy and just wanted to get the job done so I didn't take any pictures. Sorry!

One of the things I picked up was a 2" x 3" PVC wiring raceway to use as a housing for the USB "hub" I'm going to build. I had also ordered some 2" x 3" end caps but the one I got were a bit undersized. :x They are going back to Amazon. :roll: I need to come up with a "sanitary" way to cap off the ends before I start cutting and drilling. I've got way more raceway than I need so I might just cut some caps from the leftovers and glue them on to the ends. That will need to keep for a while since I probably overdid it today.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Three of the items I picked up from my mail service today were the three Display Port to HDMI dongles I ordered to replace the Mini Display Port dongles on the HDMI "umbilical cord" that will go from the graphics card on the computer to the HDMI splitter stack. After resting a while after making the shortened extension cable for the TV power cord and rerouting the cord so it wasn't hanging out in free space, I got bored and decided to tackle replacing the old dongles with the new ones.

This is what I started with.

1.jpg

After removing the Velcro slim ties holding the dongles together, I had to remove the tape I had used to ensure the dongles wouldn't get disconnected from the cables. That was a bit of a chore.

2.jpg

That left a dry residue on the end of the HDMI cables.

3.jpg

I used Goof Off to remove the residue and 99% IPA to remove the residue on the first cable. Then it dawned on my last functioning brain cell of the three I have left that I was going to cover it with tape again so why bother?
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”