Bitwarden Trojan false positive ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

Bitwarden Trojan false positive ?

Post by TitusAduxas »

Hi
I'm using Firefox browser and Bitwarden as my password manager. I use the Firefox extension for Bitwarden. I could not really understand why the Bitwarden icon kept disappearing from the toolbar and the only way I could get it back was to download it again and add it to Firefox. No big deal as it takes less than a minute to reinstate. I have noticed that upon scanning my Home directory there was always an instance of PUA.Win.Trojan.Xored-1 :shock: . I realize now that everytime I deleted this so called Trojan, the Bitwarden icon disappeared from the toolbar.

It would seem this is a known issue as when trying to find info I came across the following thread on the Github site and it does not seem there is a workaround. No one wants to see positive results in the scan report but it looks like there is no choice unless someone here can has a solution.

https://github.com/jensyt/imurmurhash-js/issues/1

TA :)
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Bitwarden Trojan false positive ??

Post by MiZoG »

False positive.
You don't need a virus scanner on Linux, especially one scanning Linux files.
Security on Linux is provided by community.
Most of the updates you receive daily are security ones.
Community is shielding you from potential exploits and vulnerabilities
even those you will not ever encounter normally as desktop user.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

AFAIK there is not one single AV program for Linux that actually checks for Linux viruses. Just Windows ones. They're mostly meant for Linux email servers to check attachments.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitusAduxas »

MiZoG wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:03 pm False positive.
You don't need a virus scanner on Linux, especially one scanning Linux files.
Security on Linux is provided by community.
Most of the updates you receive daily are security ones.
Community is shielding you from potential exploits and vulnerabilities
even those you will not ever encounter normally as desktop user.
Thanks for your reply MiZoG. I moved from windows to Linux purely for the security reasons you point out as I was tired of the never ending and in many cases pointless (and expensive) security battles but there is quite a lot of confusing and conflicting information with regard to Linux security and they all seem viable arguments.
It is difficult coming from a rat infested operating system like windows to truly comprehend the Linux rational, maybe in time eh ?

TA
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitusAduxas »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:13 pm AFAIK there is not one single AV program for Linux that actually checks for Linux viruses. Just Windows ones. They're mostly meant for Linux email servers to check attachments.
Thanks Hoser Rob. They do say you live and learn and I now know . I am always happy to learn something new.

TA
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

You may want to give this a read: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html

It's authored by forum member Pjotr.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

TitusAduxas wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:43 pm I use the Firefox extension for Bitwarden. I could not really understand why the Bitwarden icon kept disappearing from the toolbar and the only way I could get it back was to download it again and add it to Firefox.
Perhaps you have not "pinned" bitwarden?
firefox for some reason added the stupid extension (mini jigsaw puzzle) icon and kept on putting add-ons there :roll: :roll: :roll:
Also sometimes firefox do not show add-ons unless you enable remember search and form history on firefox settings ---> privacy and security ---> history section
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitusAduxas »

Midnight True wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:40 pm
TitusAduxas wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:43 pm I use the Firefox extension for Bitwarden. I could not really understand why the Bitwarden icon kept disappearing from the toolbar and the only way I could get it back was to download it again and add it to Firefox.
Perhaps you have not "pinned" bitwarden?
firefox for some reason added the stupid extension (mini jigsaw puzzle) icon and kept on putting add-ons there :roll: :roll: :roll:
Also sometimes firefox do not show add-ons unless you enable remember search and form history on firefox settings ---> privacy and security ---> history section
Thanks for your comments Midnight True. I will admit I did not check the Firefox settings but have followed your suggestion and discovered that the search and form history is ticked and active. The extensions I use are all pinned to the toolbar but Bitwarden is the only one that keeps disappearing. Truth be known I probably have too many active extensions anyway (I cant seem to resist a good extension :oops: : )

TA
TitusAduxas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TitusAduxas »

Schultz wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:40 pm You may want to give this a read: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html

It's authored by forum member Pjotr.
Eternal thanks Schultz for your link to the Linux tips project site. I have just skimmed the surface of this gem of a site resource but have already recognized some of my glaring, ignorant mistakes. It is clearly a very large and in depth site and has already been added as a bookmark.

I'm a real busy fella and don't really have a lot of time (or patience) to trawl through large websites but you have sentenced me to do so. On this occasion I will however gratefully forgive you :wink: . I am sure in a couple of weeks I shall be a far more educated and competent Linux user.

Grateful salutations

TA
p.s I shall be removing Clam asap
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Bitwarden Trojan false positive ?

Post by Schultz »

You're welcome. And good move removing Clam. :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

any good Linux System doesn't need any of the support methods,
that you would expect to use in your previous Windows System.
:)

this will include things like:
- virus scanning
- data encryption
- large security updates.

on the last point, sure - an Linux System has them too,
but somewhat less of those.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

Pierre wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:13 pm any good Linux System doesn't need any of the support methods,
that you would expect to use in your previous Windows System.
:)

this will include things like:
- virus scanning
- data encryption
- large security updates.

on the last point, sure - an Linux System has them too,
but somewhat less of those.
as far as those large security updates, luckily even on an old HDD, they don't nearly as long as windows does even on an ssd! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”