can I recover linux mint v21.10 boot drive ???

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: can I recover linux mint v21.10 boot drive ???

Post by deepakdeshp »

Run fsck on the 2tb unbootable 2 tb drive.

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda2 -y
replace sda2 in the command with the nvme 2tb partition.
Also paste output of terminal commands rather than post pictures. It's more readable.

To use testdisk see https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-recover- ... e-in-linux
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

If, as you said you have read the forum rules, then you need to read Sect 6 again.
I'm done.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

maxreason
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maxreason »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:23 pm Run fsck on the 2tb unbootable 2 tb drive.

fsck /dev/sda2 -y
replace sda2 in the command with the nvme 2tb partition.
Also paste output of terminal commands rather than post pictures. It's more readable.

To use testdisk see https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-recover- ... e-in-linux[/color]
I'm not certain whether you wanted me to run fsck on the whole 02TB NVME SSD ... or on partition #1 ... or on the large (1.7TB) partition #5 that contains / and /home and everything except swap and other partitions reserved for recovery and such. So I will run and display the output from all 3 potential candidates below to hopefully assure you have what you need.

Thanks for the link to the article about the testdisk application. I will read that later today. The more information I have the better! :-) It was the testdisk application that mostly fixed the 02TB_0001 SSD drive --- until the latest disaster.

I assume you want me to "cut and paste" the contents of the terminal window, correct? That's what I'll do, but if that's not what you meant, please elaborate. My various attempts to make "cut and paste" text easily readable did not go well ... at least not to my eyeballs.
----
--------
----
##### 02TB_0001 SSD == whole device/drive? #####
##### sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1 -y #####

max@mintoid:~$ sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1 -y
[sudo] password for max:
fsck from util-linux 2.37.2
e2fsck 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/nvme0n1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

Found a dos partition table in /dev/nvme0n1
max@mintoid:~$

----
--------
----
##### 02TB_0001 SSD == partition #1
##### sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1 -y #####

max@mintoid:~$ sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1 -y
[sudo] password for max:
/dev/nvme0n1p1: clean, 11/4005888 files, 330317/16000000 blocks

----
--------
----
##### 02TB_0001 SSD == partition #5
##### sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p5 -y #####

max@mintoid:~$ sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p5 -y
0002TB_0001: clean, 798409/106094592 files, 228964890/424377088 blocks

----
--------
----
At the risk of being repetitive, I will note here that you can see what the disks and gparted applications displayed for this 02TB_0001 SSD drive in my previous message on 20230528 at 01:22am ... just in case those displays provide more clues that might be helpful to you. The previous two of my message that contain images were from after the 02TB_0001 SSD became unmountable and unreadable after executing sudo update-grub while displayed the error dialog that said "no object for D-Bus interface" ... whatever that means.
--
----
--
I have a general question related to everything that we've been discussing. While searching the internet for information and solutions to the MBR, boot and partition issues I've run into, I have found a large number of articles and messages about the topic ... including the new one that you just linked me to. The fact there are sooooo many implies a great many people suffer from "trashed MBR" and/or "trashed partition tables" and/or "trashed partitions" and such. Which makes me wonder ... why do MBR, partition tables and partitions get trashed so often that large numbers of articles and messages get written about these topics? What applications and/or processes and/or events typically do the trashing ... and why? I have to admit ... I'm confused by this question.

BTW, if I'm asking too many questions not narrowly focused on my specific problem, feel free to say "I don't have time to get into that" ... or whatever. I assure you ... I will understand. Same goes for my "rant-question" in a recent message that asks why certain things that "seem like they should be simple" seem so convoluted and nonsensical.
--
----
--
Final question. I tried all sorts of alternatives to images of terminal windows to show the what various applications like sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1 display. But everything I tried was difficult to read. For example, the text inside the "code" and "/code" markers was not dark enough (against the white background) to read easily, or alternately not large enough text to read easily.

I tried combinations of larger text and boldface text ... but they did not look right or particularly readable in non-fixed-pitch fonts (which is all that I can figure-out how to display except in "c" and "code" blocks. In your reply, please provide me an example of what you'd like to see == what you consider more readable (or more appropriate) than the following images (which are the alternative to the cut-and-paste attempts I displayed above).
-
-
> sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1 == 02TB_0001 SSD : partition == none
-
-
> sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1 == 02TB_0001 SSD : partition == 1
-
-
> sudo fsck /dev/nvme0n1p5 == 02TB_0001 SSD : partition == 5
Last edited by Moem on Mon May 29, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the image visible by removing the www from each image link.
computer: AMD 7950x : ASUS ROG Crosshair x670e Extreme : 64GB DDR5 : CPU cooler (liquid)
storage: 02TB SSD (nvme0n1) : 16TB HDD (sda) : 16TB HDD (sdb) : 08TB HDD (sdc) : 08TB HDD (sdd)
network: 10Gbps + 1Gbps ethernet + wireless
Linux Mint v21.2
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

First - none of your screenshots display, you are not using the preview button to check that what you want is what you get. I am not going to wade through a wall of text with missing information to try and second-guess what you have.

For the future, this may help:

viewtopic.php?p=2333339#p2333339

You are limited to three screenshots per post and the max file size is 200KB, for larger files you need to use a remote hosting site like imgur and the rimg tags.

You clearly do not understand how partition tables work with your many references to the MBR - that is irrelevant. Lack of understanding is acceptable, your attitude is not. There are two types of partition table:
  • legacy (or msdos or mbr), usually associated with legacy boot, and
  • GPT usually associated with UEFI boot.
Suggest you have a look at the foxclone user guide, I wrote a couple of sections on partition tables and the use of disks and gparted.

https://foxclone.org/

I thought that you originally had a GPT partition table on the drive, testdisk restored a legacy partition table.
There is another peculiarity that maybe someone understands and can comment upon. On the disks image of the recovered 02TB SSD drive there is a second longer/larger bar overlaying in parallel with the main OS/user/data partition and the final /recovery partition.

What the hell is that about?
That is your extended partition, you had more than four partitions on the drive so when testdisk restored a legacy partition table it had to create an extended partition.

I did ask you to check the contents of your EFI partition and if the esp & boot flags were set. If the flags were not set or the boot files were not present, no boot. No answer, you went off at a tangent.

We don't know if you are booting UEFI or legacy, if legacy the EFI partition is irrelevent and I would not expect testdisk to restore grub (with legacy boot, boot.img lives in the first 446 bytes of sector 1 and core.img lives in the gap between the end of the partition table and start of the first partition). That is why having recovered your files I suggested you did a fresh install with a sensible partition layout. That recommendation remains unchanged. Having done a fresh install you can copy all your config files back and keep all the changes you have made to the desktop, etc.
I'm getting the feeling that the entire boot aspect of Linux is A TOTAL MESS.

Of course, it may be slightly more likely that it is my brain that is A TOTAL MESS ... but that seems less likely as time passes.
No, it is you that is at fault not linux and like kato181 I do not like being shouted at, that coupled with your attitude means that I not not be contributing to this topic any further.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

To know what's your system type UEFI or MBR
https://askubuntu.com/questions/162564/ ... fi-or-bios

To see how it looks when you enclose in code tags. It's as follows

ls -ls
is a command. Enclose all the command output in code tags.
I have used UEFI voot for past 8 years and MBR before that for more than 15 years. Not once was my MBR or UEFI trashed. You have to take care to shutdown properly. Run

sync
command before you hit shutdown. Stop all programs like torrent before shutdown. In fact close all programs before shutdown.

Hardware issues like heating of the machine by clogged fans, not working fans,lint can cause problems. Your charger if using a laptop,power source etc are other things which may cause a problem.

I wanted you to run fsck on the 2 TB drive partitions. You can't run it on swap or full disks.Do use the default font without words or sentences in caps lock.

Last but not the least be gentle and thankful to whoever replies to you,helpful or unhelpful. They are trying to help without any sort of reward. AndyMH is one of the most helpful and knowledge able persons of the forum especially for disks and storage.

There are more than one super blocks for the partition. If one goes bad you should be able to use the backup ones.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

. why do MBR, partition tables and partitions get trashed so often
. They don't get trashed at all. Also whats the use case of your machine. You use it for what purpose?
Regards,
Deepak

maxreason
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maxreason »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:23 pm
. why do MBR, partition tables and partitions get trashed so often
. They don't get trashed at all. Also whats the use case of your machine. You use it for what purpose?
I just built the computer about 2 months ago (meaning I purchased a CPU, case, fans, motherboard, DDR5 DRAM, CPU-cooler, GPU card, 02TB M.2 NVME SSD, 2 new 16TB SATA drives, 43" display screen, downloaded the latest Linux Mint Cinnamon ... plus a few other components and assembled them). So I don't have any "instructions" for my computer, if that's your reason for asking.

I built this computer to replace my 4~5 year old "main computer" because it is getting flaky. That computer is similar but with the Linux Mint 19.1 OS (another reason to upgrade, perhaps).

Anyway, since you asked, this is the reason I have no "instructions" for my computer --- because I assembled it myself from components.

I never configured a "multi-boot" computer before, which is "something new" I was trying to do ... and probably the main cause of my problems.

I would like to boot-up LM21 on the 02TB SSD on the motherboard, since the SSD seems faster than HDD. But I also installed LM21 on the two new 16TB HDD that I just purchased for the new computer, and I'd like to be able to boot-up on them if the SSD system goes bad. Plus, those two new 16TB drives would hold copies of all crucial software applications ... plus the data for the projects I'm working on (which is much larger than 02TB).

At least that's been my intention. But trying to configure my new computer this way (three complete LM21 systems) may be [part of] the reason for some or all my recent troubles with MBR, partition-tables, partitions, booting, BIOS, etc.

I could just abandon my plan to have multiple LM21 disk drives capable of booting-up on. I imagine most of the problems I've been having would then vanish. The two 16TB drives would then just be data backup drives ... along with the two old 08TB drives also in this new computer. But then I'd be back to only one drive capable of booting-up LM21. I was looking forward to having three ... or at least two LM21 drives.

But after spending a whole month trying to get this multi-boot stuff working, and loosing many TB of data that I have to re-download over the internet every time a drive gets corrupted (which takes 1 to 2 weeks each time), I'm close to just blowing off the notion of multiple boot-capable drives in this computer.

This has definitely been one of those "hope I never have to go through this again" experiences.

Your question: What is the use-case of this computer?

Answer: This will be my "main computer", which means "a hardware, software, technology and project design and development computer". In other words, for the design and development of scientific and engineering "devices" that include mechanical, electronic and software components. As in "robotics/servo mechanics, microcontroller/electronics hardware and software, schematics, PCB layouts ... and lots of 64-bit C/assembly code that runs on this computer.

But also, I've been pestered for some time by a couple good friends who adopted some of my open-source software years ago for their large project for NASA ... and want/need me to update my software to be native 64-bit because 32-bit address-space limitations have become too constraining for their projects recently.

In terms of software tools, I mostly limit myself to C/C++ and assembly-languages. Most code runs on PC, but some controller-type devices run on micros like 8051/8052 and newer versions thereof. So mainly C and assembly-language. I will be restarting development of a large "science and technology" project that I was doing on the other LM19 computer in 64-bit C and assembly with the codeblocks software development environment. Whether that software development environment is still active and viable I will find out once I get the rest of this system up and running reliably. When that project is done, I will be very lucky if it can fit on one 16TB drive ... even before it starts to "grow/expand on its own".

As for your question about whether my system is UEFI or MBR. Since I built/assembled my own computer, I suppose the answer to that question is --- whatever we decide. And I say we because I have no experience with multi-boot setups and you guys obviously do. So ultimately I'm guessing the answer depends on two things --- what you guys tell me, and perhaps whether I "give up" on having a multi-boot computer or not (understanding that for me at least ... there would never be more than one OS on any one physical device/drive).

At this point I can probably still choose whether each drive is "UEFI or MBR" as you put it. I'm not sure whether GPT necessitates UEFI or not, but you can probably tell me that. I can probably reduce the number of partitions on each device/drive to 4 (if necessary) by not creating a swap partition, and also not creating any partitions for recovery purposes.

However, I will add one comment. My recent reading about partitions and such lately have sorta convinced me that I might be wise to create a separate primary partition for / and /home ... to make updates of the OS without updating the development applications that support my own projects, plus my own projects (and huge quantities of data they need to access).

I hope that answers your questions.

PS: I didn't have many/any problems with MBR or partition-tables in the past either. But then, I never tried to have multiple boot-capable drives in my computer before (with the ability to boot off any one of them at startup time). Maybe I need to return to the KISS principle on this issue too and only have one boot/OS drive.

PS: Typically I am good about shutting down most apps before shutting down the computer. However, I don't like to close Firefox because it remembers a great many tabs ... then displays them again when I start-up the computer again. Given what that app does, I suspect that's safe. My old computer has vuze client for when I need to do huge downloads (usually huge astronomy / space-sciences datasets), and sometimes I would forget to stop and close vuze on my other computer before I shutdown. However, that never caused any problems. But on this new computer I just built I switched to the default transmission client ... and I did forget to stop and close the transmission client when I shutdown once. That is when I had the original disaster --- the 02TB NVME SSD boot-drive on the motherboard would no longer boot and apparently its partition table got wiped. The testdisk app seemed to most fix that, except that drive would not appear as a boot-up drive any more in BIOS. Where we are now is ... the update-grub process you asked me to run rendered that 02TB drive unable to mount.

PS: Sorry if I come across as unfriendly or unappreciative. That is not my nature and not my intention. However, given what I do, I am a very detail-oriented person and someone who likes to understand as much as possible (and the reasons for everything as much as possible) ... which sometimes may be annoying to someone like you who wants to help and just asks me to be a robot and "enter this command and report what happened". Also, when I try to help people who have questions about open-source software I developed, they usually provide far too little information and far too few details for me to address their issue and questions. So maybe I provide too much information to you guys ... but I'm just trying to provide information you may need - just as I often wish others would provide information that I need under similar circumstances. :-( :-( :-(

I have had no problems with AndyMH that I am aware of. I did not answer his previous question yet because the update-grub execution that you asked me to perform made the 02TB device "unmountable" and "unreadable" ... which has prevented me from continuing with his requests. I hope (and assume) he understands why I haven't answered his latest query yet.

I hesitate to putz around after something like that happens (drive becomes unmountable) before you advise me. As you requested, I did "create disk image" with the disks application before I ran the update-grub command. So if you want, I can try the reverse process with the disks app to restore the 02TB drive. Just let me know what to do next ... restore with disks or repair with testdisk --- or something else?
Last edited by maxreason on Mon May 29, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
computer: AMD 7950x : ASUS ROG Crosshair x670e Extreme : 64GB DDR5 : CPU cooler (liquid)
storage: 02TB SSD (nvme0n1) : 16TB HDD (sda) : 16TB HDD (sdb) : 08TB HDD (sdc) : 08TB HDD (sdd)
Linux Mint v21.2
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You come across as a very detailed oriented and a technical person.Building open source projects which are being used for NASA. Using controllers as well as software . That makes you a complete systems man. I am honoured to know you. deepakdeshp@gmail.com is my mail id. Do drop me a mail.

As for your problems I feels they aren't because you opted for mulgi boot. I have been operating Windows 10/Mint multi boot on a single HDD for more than 10 years without a problem. I do t have a separate home partition. You can have one . That's your choice.What you can do is as follows

Instead of multi boot disks have a single bootable disk,
Have the other ssd as data disks. Clone the system disk with Clonezilla ,a very versatile program but not so user friendly or with Foxzilla, developed by AndyMH himself.
Always backup on external drives, ssd or HDD.Avoid too many writes on the ssds as ssds have a lifetime of fixed writes on them.
.https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... d.html?m=1

Also read the related topics of the site . A site developed by pjotr of the Mint forum.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html?m=1

This way in case of corruption of your system you are covered. My advise is to test your hardware for reliability. Especially memory ,test it with memtest86 . ssd with https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... buntu/amp/. It may be worth changing power supply, test for loose connections.
Always backup. Backup the backup too. The backup interval determine s the data you may loose in case of disaster which is the data that's not backed up.
Unrelated but I would like to know about your build. For that please post output of command

inxi -Fxxxrz
in code tags.
You are so much technically oriented that getting to know and using terminal commands will be very easy for you.

One such resource for it https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 62_tv5_F1b

As you know more,deep dive in it. Learns shell scripting,using scripting with Python for system tasks..
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... AtZU9ICwpf.

May be because you built the system ,there is some glitch and there is some hardware problem like bad cable,power supply etc which corrupts your disks and ssds. I want to assure you that multibooot isn't the cause of your problems.It lies somewhere else. I have posted some of the possible causes in my posts.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I did multiple edits of the post above so please read it again.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Ext4: Reliable File System

The ext4 file system is widely used in Linux-based operating systems and is considered to be a reliable and stable file system. It has been the default file system for many Linux distributions for several years.

Ext4 incorporates improvements and features over its predecessor, ext3, including support for larger file systems, increased scalability, faster file system checks, and improved data integrity. It uses journaling, which helps maintain the consistency of the file system in the event of a system crash or power failure.

While no file system is completely immune to data corruption or other issues, ext4 has a good track record in terms of reliability. It has undergone extensive testing and development, and it has been widely adopted in production environments. Many enterprise-grade systems and servers rely on ext4 for their storage needs.

However, it's important to note that proper system maintenance, regular backups, and monitoring are essential to ensure the reliability of any file system. It's always recommended to have backups of important data and to periodically check the file system for any errors or inconsistencies.

Additionally, advancements in file systems continue to be made, and alternatives like Btrfs and XFS are also gaining popularity in certain use cases. These file systems offer additional features and scalability, but ext4 remains a reliable choice for most Linux-based systems.
Regards,
Deepak

maxreason
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maxreason »

AndyMH wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:11 am First - none of your screenshots display, you are not using the preview button to check that what you want is what you get. I am not going to wade through a wall of text with missing information to try and second-guess what you have.

For the future, this may help:

viewtopic.php?p=2333339#p2333339

You are limited to three screenshots per post and the max file size is 200KB, for larger files you need to use a remote hosting site like imgur and the rimg tags.

You clearly do not understand how partition tables work with your many references to the MBR - that is irrelevant. Lack of understanding is acceptable, your attitude is not. There are two types of partition table:
  • legacy (or msdos or mbr), usually associated with legacy boot, and
  • GPT usually associated with UEFI boot.
Suggest you have a look at the foxclone user guide, I wrote a couple of sections on partition tables and the use of disks and gparted.

https://foxclone.org/

I thought that you originally had a GPT partition table on the drive, testdisk restored a legacy partition table.
There is another peculiarity that maybe someone understands and can comment upon. On the disks image of the recovered 02TB SSD drive there is a second longer/larger bar overlaying in parallel with the main OS/user/data partition and the final /recovery partition.

What the hell is that about?
That is your extended partition, you had more than four partitions on the drive so when testdisk restored a legacy partition table it had to create an extended partition.

I did ask you to check the contents of your EFI partition and if the esp & boot flags were set. If the flags were not set or the boot files were not present, no boot. No answer, you went off at a tangent.

We don't know if you are booting UEFI or legacy, if legacy the EFI partition is irrelevent and I would not expect testdisk to restore grub (with legacy boot, boot.img lives in the first 446 bytes of sector 1 and core.img lives in the gap between the end of the partition table and start of the first partition). That is why having recovered your files I suggested you did a fresh install with a sensible partition layout. That recommendation remains unchanged. Having done a fresh install you can copy all your config files back and keep all the changes you have made to the desktop, etc.
I'm getting the feeling that the entire boot aspect of Linux is A TOTAL MESS.

Of course, it may be slightly more likely that it is my brain that is A TOTAL MESS ... but that seems less likely as time passes.
No, it is you that is at fault not linux and like kato181 I do not like being shouted at, that coupled with your attitude means that I not not be contributing to this topic any further.
Well, sorry to see you abandon me and my problem. I can assure you, I had no intention to annoy you or anyone else. In fact, just the opposite, which I explain in my previous message if you care to learn why and how. I won't repeat here.

I know you asked me to check the contents of my EFI partition and esp and boot flags. I'm not sure why you did not notice that I could not do that because I executed an update-grub command as requested by your fellow expert helper, which rendered the 02TB SSD "unmountable" and thus "unreadable". And for that reason, I could not answer your request. You see, I get blamed for everything ... even stuff that is not my fault. I did display an image that shows what gparted displays for that nvme0n1 drive, but I guess you didn't see that. That display said that /dev/nvme0n1p1 was "ext4" filesystem and had only "boot" under the "flags" column (no "esp").

As far as me "going off on a tangent", you may be right to an extent, but that is because I'm not a guru on this topic yet, and so I didn't (and still largely don't) know what I need to know to prevent myself from "going off on a tangent" from your perspective. As just one example, I still have no idea where those "boot files" you mention are, or what they are supposed to look like (to tell whether they're valid). I guess the first "boot file" is what starts at the beginning of the MBR (at sector 0), but where any other "boot files" might be (and what they would look like) is something I don't know. Actually, you talk about 446 bytes at sector 1 ... but maybe what you call sector 1 is what I call sector 0. True? Not true?

As for which type of filesystems I want ... I wanted multi-boot which I think implies GPT which I think implies UEFI. Though again, I'm not entirely sure those implications are necessarily correct (or the only options for multi-boot).

Maybe I spent too much time trying to recover the original setup, which was probably GPT. I made that mistake because after I installed LM21 onto the 02TB NVME SSD, I spend a month configuring LM21 the way I wanted, downloading/installing/configuring all the LM apps I wanted, downloading/installing/configuring the other apps I wanted, and downloading/installing terabytes of data. Because I spent so much time at that, I very much wanted to recover that after the crash that happened because I stupidly (albeit accidentally) shutdown the computer while transmission was still running. You could say "I asked for it" and maybe you're right ... though in the past 4~5 years I never had a problem with vuze on my old LM19 computer. Maybe just my bad luck, maybe transmission is less forgiving than vuze, or maybe LM21 is less forgiving than LM19. Who knows. I will definitely try to remember to pause, stop, close, shutdown transmission before LM21 in the future.

If you looked at my several previous messages, you would see that I have gotten much better with my formatting, especially with the addition of "c" and "code" sections. However, I find the content of "code" sections very difficult to read. On my computer the "code" blocks display light green text on white background. Maybe it displays differently on your computer? I tried to boldface and increase the size of the text in "code" blocks to make it more readable, but that has no effect (the "code" block must override such attempts). So again, you can go right ahead and consider me an a-hole, but when I displayed images of console output as images that is because I invested a great deal of time and effort to find ways to display text in a way that is vastly easier for me to read --- and so I thought would be vastly easier for you to read too.

So, if you are at all an understanding person, you will realize that I have been trying to be more helpful as time passes, and definitely not to annoy you. Yet you guys ... perhaps for your own legitimate reasons (like maybe how your computer and configuration displays things) ... simply assume I am trying to be an a-hole when the exact opposite is true. If so, nothing I can do about that.

As for the "c" and "code" and posting images information ... thanks for the information, though if you looked at my recent messages they already contain a great deal of all of those techniques.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall anyone asking me for inxi -Fxxxrz or similar. But it looks like a very excellent set of summary information, so here that is in a "code" block (even though it is vastly easier for me to read in an image, due to ... some unknown reason). Plus I include the efibootmgr output at the beginning.

max@mintoid:~$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0007
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0007,000A
Boot0007* ubuntu
Boot000A* ubuntu

max@mintoid:~$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.8 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
    Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME v: Rev 1.xx
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1101
    date: 04/10/2023
CPU:
  Info: 16-core model: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X bits: 64 type: MT MCP smt: enabled
    arch: Zen 3 rev: 2 cache: L1: 1024 KiB L2: 16 MiB L3: 64 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2970 high: 3591 min/max: 3000/5880 boost: enabled
    cores: 1: 2760 2: 2928 3: 2997 4: 2993 5: 2992 6: 2990 7: 2992 8: 2992
    9: 2993 10: 2996 11: 2871 12: 3589 13: 2858 14: 2859 15: 2874 16: 2790
    17: 2988 18: 2993 19: 2993 20: 2994 21: 2994 22: 2994 23: 2994 24: 2994
    25: 2872 26: 3591 27: 2874 28: 2795 29: 2873 30: 2872 31: 2876 32: 2874
    bogomips: 287460
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: amdgpu v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports: active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,DP-2,DP-3
    bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:73ef class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x2160 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 1016x571mm (40.0x22.5")
    s-diag: 1165mm (45.9")
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-0 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: Samsung res: 3840x2160 hz: 60
    dpi: 52 size: 1872x1053mm (73.7x41.5") diag: 1093mm (43") modes:
    max: 3840x2160 min: 640x480
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT (navi23 LLVM 15.0.6 DRM 3.42
  5.15.0-72-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 21 HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT]
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16
    bus-ID: 03:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:ab28 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: ASUSTek USB Audio type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 5-6:3 chip-ID: 0b05:1a53
    class-ID: 0300
  Device-3: Logitech 960 Headset type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 9-1:2 chip-ID: 046d:0a45
    class-ID: 0300 serial: <filter>
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-72-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz driver: iwlwifi v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:2725
    class-ID: 0280
  IF: wlp9s0 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Intel Ethernet I225-V vendor: ASUSTeK driver: igc v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 0a:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:15f3
    class-ID: 0200
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  Device-3: Aquantia vendor: ASUSTeK driver: atlantic v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 0b:00.0 chip-ID: 1d6a:94c0
  IF: eno2 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX210 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 3-6:4 chip-ID: 8087:0032 class-ID: e001
  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 45.48 TiB used: 20 TiB (44.0%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 980 PRO 2TB size: 1.82 TiB
    speed: 63.2 Gb/s lanes: 4 type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 5B2QGXA7
    temp: 30.9 C scheme: MBR
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD161KFGX-68AFPN0
    size: 14.55 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s type: HDD rpm: 7200 serial: <filter>
    rev: 0A83 scheme: GPT
  ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD161KFGX-68AFPN0
  ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST8000VN0022-2EL112 size: 7.28 TiB
    speed: 6.0 Gb/s type: HDD rpm: 7200 serial: <filter> rev: SC61 scheme: GPT
  ID-5: /dev/sdd vendor: Seagate model: ST8000VN0022-2EL112 size: 7.28 TiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 13.95 TiB used: 8.76 TiB (62.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 61.02 GiB used: 6.4 MiB (0.0%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 61.04 GiB used: 318.3 MiB (0.5%)
    priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 36.0 C
    mem: 34.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 0
Repos:
  Packages: 2853 apt: 2846 flatpak: 7
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com vera main upstream import backport
    2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
Info:
  Processes: 614 Uptime: 2d 12h 20m wakeups: 0 Memory: 62.53 GiB
  used: 9.52 GiB (15.2%) Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5 Compilers:
  gcc: 11.3.0 alt: 11/12 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 running-in: gnome-terminal
  inxi: 3.3.13

I've been putting images in "img" blocks, not "rimg" blocks. Is that a mistake? Why?

You say ... You clearly do not understand how partition tables work with your many references to the MBR - that is irrelevant. Lack of understanding is acceptable, your attitude is not.

The first result google displays for a search of "how many bytes in MBR" is the following statement:

Prior to the execution of GRUB, the system BIOS loads into memory the Master Boot Record (MBR) and executes it contents. The total size of the MBR is 512 bytes, which contains the bootloader program and disk partitioning information.

When I perform sudo dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=512 count=1 | hexdump -C the output of the first 512 bytes == first sector of the device/drive shows a bunch of bytes (that I assume is the lowest-level boot-loader code), then some bytes of 0x00, then a 4-byte drive ID field of some kind, followed by a 4-element partition table.

From the above, I can only assume that the partition table (in at least some varieties of MBR) are part of the MBR. So I'm not sure what you mean by "you clearly do not understand how partitions tables work with my many references to MBR". I mean, I certainly don't know everything about how all varieties of partition tables work ... but I don't see why MBR and partition tables are ... irrelevant. In some dumps of the first 512-bytes (first sector == MBR) I saw nothing but 0x00 (obviously no boot-code or partition table) while other dumps showed what appeared to be boot-loader code + drive identifier field + no partition table [ + 0x55 0xAA terminator] while other dumps showed all of these elements including a 4-element partition table.

And so, while there may be all sorts of things I do not know about every possible version of MBRs and partition tables ... I don't understand why me referring to MBRs (that at least sometimes appear to contain partition tables) in conversations about partition tables. As you say, I definitely don't know or understand everything about these topics ... otherwise I wouldn't be asking you gurus about these topics. But I don't understand why again I am some kind of a-hole or "have a bad attitude" because I associate MBRs and partition-tables. I don't see why it is me who has an "attitude" here. I really don't. Maybe someone will explain that to me. But probably not.

I will read the foxclone.org document when I can. The site is down or not accessible at the moment.

Yes, I also thought I had a GPT on the 02TB NVME SSD drive ... when I was booting off that drive for a month or so. Though at the time I did not know much of anything about UEFI or GPT or much of anything else related to MBR, partition-tables, dual-boot, or the boot-up process in general. However, I do think you're correct that after the crash of that 02TB NVME SSD drive and the restoration by testdisk ... it no longer had GPT on that drive.

You may not recall, but when I ran testdisk on that 02TB NVME SSD drive multiple times, it was only when I selected "Intel/PC" instead of one of the other options, that the number of partitions and their sizes looked correct. As you (I think it was you) mentioned, the "swap" partition looked completely absurd when I selected the UEFI or GPT option (forget what it was called now) in testdisk ... like only 16 sectors or something. And so, because only "Intel/PC" displayed correct-size partitions (as far as we could tell), that was the selection the recovery process was performed in.

That may have caused other problems that have led to ongoing troubles. Not sure. I do know that after the recovery it appeared that the entire directory tree and all files (that I looked into) were valid. Except ... after the recovery that drive did not appear as a boot-up drive option in BIOS, and I was not able to boot from that drive even when that drive was (eventually) listed at boot-up time. It hung after displaying an initramfs prompt during the boot-up process when I tried to boot from that drive. But otherwise, until I ran update-grub as I was requested to do (which has made that drive unmountable), I was able to read and write to that drive with no problems.

After accidentally pissing-off you and others, maybe I should just do a complete fresh non-multi-boot install of LM21 on the 02TB NVME SSD drive ... and just forget multi-boot. Which would replace all the topics we've been discussing with just one question. Namely ...

... can I install LM21 onto all three drives (the 02TB NVME SSD on the motherboard, plus the two 16TB HDD connected to SATA3) one-by-one with "legacy" AKA "non-GPT / non-multiboot" setups ... and then just select which drive to boot from in BIOS in the rare cases I might need to boot off of one of the 16TB HDD drives? I can live with only 4 partitions, especially if the MBR with boot.img plus 4-element partition table is not one of those partitions (which I assume is true)? Maybe I should ask that as a separate new question/thread to omit all the side-issues in this thread, huh?

Sorry to annoy you. That was never my intention. Really. Just the opposite. And even though you're obviously torqued at me, I appreciate all the comments you've posted here. I have learned some important things from both you gurus.
Last edited by maxreason on Mon May 29, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint v21.2
maxreason
Level 2
Level 2

Post by maxreason »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:23 pm You come across as a very detailed oriented and a technical person.Building open source projects which are being used for NASA. Using controllers as well as software . That makes you a complete systems man. I am honoured to know you. deepakdeshp@gmail.com is my mail id. Do drop me an email.

As for your problems I feels they aren't because you opted for multi boot. I have been operating Windows 10/Mint multi boot on a single HDD for more than 10 years without a problem. I do t have a separate home partition. You can have one . That's your choice. What you can do is as follows:

Instead of multi boot disks have a single bootable disk. Have the other ssd as data disks. Clone the system disk with Clonezilla, a very versatile program but not so user friendly or with Foxzilla, developed by AndyMH himself.

Always backup on external drives, ssd or HDD. Avoid too many writes on the ssds as ssds have a lifetime of fixed writes on them.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... d.html?m=1

Also read the related topics of the site . A site developed by pjotr of the Mint forum.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html?m=1

This way in case of corruption of your system you are covered. My advise is to test your hardware for reliability. Especially memory, test it with memtest86 . ssd with https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... buntu/amp/. It may be worth changing power supply, test for loose connections. Always backup. Backup the backup too. The backup interval determines the data you may loose in case of disaster which is the data that's not backed up.
Unrelated but I would like to know about your build. For that please post output of command

inxi -Fxxxrz
in code tags.
You are so much technically oriented that getting to know and using terminal commands will be very easy for you.

One such resource for it https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 62_tv5_F1b

As you know more, deep dive in it. Learns shell scripting, using scripting with Python for system tasks...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... AtZU9ICwpf.

May be because you built the system, there is some glitch and there is some hardware problem like bad cable,power supply etc which corrupts your disks and ssds. I want to assure you that multibooot isn't the cause of your problems. It lies somewhere else. I have posted some of the possible causes in my posts.

Thanks for those links --- they look awesome. But they're gonna take me a few hours to wander through (and follow links). They definitely look worth the time and effort for sure.

The whole "backup" issue is one that I've almost totally avoided over the years. Or, I should say, I've ignored the issue as a "formalized" issue. When one of my applications creates or accumulates lots of data (or changes to the data), I simply copy the whole directory tree from the root of where the data is stored, then compress the whole mess if the data isn't overly random (not very compressible). But in terms of setting up a formal backup scheme --- not been there, not done that! Hahaha.

One of the reasons I sorta got sold on the notion of separate / and /home partitions is --- the claim that I can update to say LM22 when it comes out, without anything in /home being changed ... including all my own configuration settings for all system applications and personal applications that I installed and configured (or wrote myself and configured). However, without really knowing how Linux organizes all the different classes of applications and configurations, I am a bit skeptical that this really works as well as I see people claim. But if that really works --- wow! If LM22 or LM23 can be installed over the / directory in a LM21 system without altering anything in the /home directory, and all the OS and user configuration systems still work as before --- I mean that is really awesome. I think I'll probably post a question long these lines in the forum (separate from this thread) to ask what experiences people have had when doing/trying this. :-)

After I built the computer, I ran the latest version of the Linux memtest86+ application for over 48 hours with zero errors. The DDR5 DRAM is supposedly 5600MHz, but is running at 4800MHz. I don't have any overclocking or other speed-up action happening. And I've got an obscene number of fans in the case set in BIOS to speed up fairly quickly when any temperatures even start to rise. Let me see. 6 x 140mm fans + 4 * 120mm fans. The temperature of the CPU never gets above 40C ... which I think is fairly cool. Right now the display says the CPU is 30C. Besides the memory test I ran a few intensive applications and they caused no errors. My only problems have been with the MBR and partition tables.

I should have said that I suspect the multi-boot plus my lame attempts to get that stuff running before I knew enough about that topic was probably the cause of my problems. In other words, maybe not multi-boot itself ... mostly my ignorance about what I was doing.

OTOH, do remember that I caused the original disaster by shutting down LM21 (the correct way) while transmission was still running and in the process of downloading about 15 huge files from the internet. While I try to shutdown things correctly, I was in a big hurry that day and just totally forgot to pause then close transmission before shutting down LM21. I don't want to falsely accuse or even imply anything ... but over the past few years I've forgotten to shut down vuse before shutdown on my old LM19 computer many times and that never caused any problems (or data corruption). But I could not immediately find vuze for LM21 after I finished building this new computer, so I just adopted the default transmission application that comes already installed on LM21 Cinnamon. In fact, I only mention this factoid in case someone else runs into partition-table or file corruption when they shutdown LM21 while transmission is still running.

I ran some SSD tests, but not with highly capable tools, and not for a long period. I will try the application mentioned in your link to see what happens. Interesting. The main window of GSmartControl calls the 02TB NVME SSD drive "unknown model" ... but when I double-click the icon for that "unknown model" it pops up a window with the following contents. I know there are some good SSD test programs out there, so I'll go look for one of them too. I'm fairly sure the 02TB NVME SSD device is good ... but I will run tests to be sure.

smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.15.0-72-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Number:                       Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Serial Number:                      S6B0NL0W224966T
Firmware Version:                   5B2QGXA7
PCI Vendor/Subsystem ID:            0x144d
IEEE OUI Identifier:                0x002538
Total NVM Capacity:                 2,000,398,934,016 [2.00 TB]
Unallocated NVM Capacity:           0
Controller ID:                      6
NVMe Version:                       1.3
Number of Namespaces:               1
Namespace 1 Size/Capacity:          2,000,398,934,016 [2.00 TB]
Namespace 1 Utilization:            811,155,243,008 [811 GB]
Namespace 1 Formatted LBA Size:     512
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            002538 b231a491a0
Local Time is:                      Mon May 29 19:41:42 2023 PDT
Firmware Updates (0x16):            3 Slots, no Reset required
Optional Admin Commands (0x0017):   Security Format Frmw_DL Self_Test
Optional NVM Commands (0x0057):     Comp Wr_Unc DS_Mngmt Sav/Sel_Feat Timestmp
Log Page Attributes (0x0f):         S/H_per_NS Cmd_Eff_Lg Ext_Get_Lg Telmtry_Lg
Maximum Data Transfer Size:         128 Pages
Warning  Comp. Temp. Threshold:     82 Celsius
Critical Comp. Temp. Threshold:     85 Celsius

Supported Power States
St Op     Max   Active     Idle   RL RT WL WT  Ent_Lat  Ex_Lat
 0 +     8.49W       -        -    0  0  0  0        0       0
 1 +     4.48W       -        -    1  1  1  1        0     200
 2 +     3.18W       -        -    2  2  2  2        0    1000
 3 -   0.0400W       -        -    3  3  3  3     2000    1200
 4 -   0.0050W       -        -    4  4  4  4      500    9500

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf
 0 +     512       0         0

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
--
------
--
Also, here are the specs of my computer as you requested:

max@mintoid:~$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.8 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
    Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME v: Rev 1.xx
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1101
    date: 04/10/2023
CPU:
  Info: 16-core model: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X bits: 64 type: MT MCP smt: enabled
    arch: Zen 3 rev: 2 cache: L1: 1024 KiB L2: 16 MiB L3: 64 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 3007 high: 4088 min/max: 3000/5880 boost: enabled
    cores: 1: 2992 2: 2993 3: 2992 4: 2987 5: 2993 6: 2993 7: 2990 8: 2994
    9: 2872 10: 3571 11: 2852 12: 2778 13: 2875 14: 2835 15: 2870 16: 3590
    17: 2993 18: 2992 19: 2991 20: 2996 21: 2993 22: 2991 23: 2994 24: 2993
    25: 2837 26: 2873 27: 2873 28: 2870 29: 2859 30: 2871 31: 2849 32: 4088
    bogomips: 287460
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: amdgpu v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports: active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,DP-2,DP-3
    bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:73ef class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x2160 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 1016x571mm (40.0x22.5")
    s-diag: 1165mm (45.9")
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-0 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: Samsung res: 3840x2160 hz: 60
    dpi: 52 size: 1872x1053mm (73.7x41.5") diag: 1093mm (43") modes:
    max: 3840x2160 min: 640x480
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT (navi23 LLVM 15.0.6 DRM 3.42
  5.15.0-72-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 21 HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT]
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16
    bus-ID: 03:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:ab28 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: ASUSTek USB Audio type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 5-6:3 chip-ID: 0b05:1a53
    class-ID: 0300
  Device-3: Logitech 960 Headset type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 9-1:2 chip-ID: 046d:0a45
    class-ID: 0300 serial: <filter>
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-72-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz driver: iwlwifi v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:2725
    class-ID: 0280
  IF: wlp9s0 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Intel Ethernet I225-V vendor: ASUSTeK driver: igc v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 0a:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:15f3
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  Device-3: Aquantia vendor: ASUSTeK driver: atlantic v: kernel pcie:
    speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 0b:00.0 chip-ID: 1d6a:94c0
  IF: eno2 state: down mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX210 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 3-6:4 chip-ID: 8087:0032 class-ID: e001
  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 45.48 TiB used: 20 TiB (44.0%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 980 PRO 2TB size: 1.82 TiB
    speed: 63.2 Gb/s lanes: 4 type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 5B2QGXA7
    temp: 28.9 C scheme: MBR
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD161KFGX-68AFPN0
  ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD161KFGX-68AFPN0
  ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST8000VN0022-2EL112 size: 7.28 TiB
  ID-5: /dev/sdd vendor: Seagate model: ST8000VN0022-2EL112 size: 7.28 TiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 13.95 TiB used: 8.76 TiB (62.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 61.02 GiB used: 6.4 MiB (0.0%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 61.04 GiB used: 323.8 MiB (0.5%)
    priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 36.0 C
    mem: 36.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 0
Repos:
  Packages: 2853 apt: 2846 flatpak: 7
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth-pro.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com vera main upstream import backport
    2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
Info:
  Processes: 621 Uptime: 2d 16h 44m wakeups: 0 Memory: 62.53 GiB
  used: 10.31 GiB (16.5%) Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5 Compilers:
  gcc: 11.3.0 alt: 11/12 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 running-in: gnome-terminal
  inxi: 3.3.13
Linux Mint v21.2
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Once you set up the multiboot it just works,unless there are issues or power fluctuations.if you have swap on ssd, please move to hdd.

The open source things you ha e developed,is there a way to acess it?Any documentation?

For major releases like 21 to 22 etc it's best to do a fresh install.Because with a separate home you will have configuration of the older programs while you run newer versions bundled with the new system. Not that it doesn't work. It does.

You have a very powerful machine with all the latest things like ddr5 memory, Ryzen 9, a lots of storage. Must have cost a bomb.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Installation & Boot”