Unable to print from Brother WiFi printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sleepymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Unable to print from Brother WiFi printer

Post by sleepymouse »

Greetings everyone

I have an issue with a WiFi printer. Ive just done a clean install of Mint 21.1.
The printer is detected and shows in the tray at the bottom but I'm not able to print.
If I try to print a test page it says processing unable to locate printer. I've installed the Brother Linux driver but I still have the same issue.
The printer is online and available as I can print from my mobile.
see attached screenshot
Screenshot from 2023-05-20 17-56-04.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unable to print from Brother WiFi printer

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

See this tutorial, viewtopic.php?t=394754

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by sleepymouse »

Thank you for your reply Mike

Ive gone through the tutorial and done what was asked.

I eventually got 1 print from the printer when I restarted my laptop but there were 2 jobs in the queue and now I have a red cross next to the printer and the system tray printer icon says waiting for job to complete.
The LCD on the printer says its ready and I've checked for paper jams
I've tried cancelling all jobs but still have the red cross against the printer.
Its an improvement over what I had.
Any other help would be much appreciated
Screenshot from 2023-05-21 18-45-11.jpg
sleepymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sleepymouse »

slight update

If I cancel the jobs in Cups it removes the red cross.
I then submitted a job to print and it printed when I restarted the laptop but it now says waiting for jobs to complete even though its printed the job.
Screenshot from 2023-05-21 19-16-05.jpg
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Your printer is Brother HL-L2350DW; it is compatible with Airprint.

You have two possibilities:
- use it driverless, you just connect your printer to your Wi-Fi network, it is recognized and you open Cups browser interface, then administration, to set its parameters.
- if driverless mode does not work well, you got with the drivers option; you uninstall sane-airscan package, then install the drivers for your printer, you can find them at Brother support website; once done, you restart your computer, connect your printer to Wi-Fi and open Cups browser interface.

If problems are related to Cups: in Linux Mint 21.1 you use "cups_2.4.1op1-1ubuntu4.1" version; you can update it to "cups_2.4.1op1-1ubuntu4.2" using a PPA, and have some bugs corrected.

(all this is detailed in my tutorial).

Note that the latest version of Cups for Linux is 2.4.2, correcting more bugs, but it is available only as source and you need to compile it https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/releases.

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by sleepymouse »

Thank you Mike
I've tried Airprint and also the printer driver.

If I send a job to print Cups tells me its connecting to printer and hangs
If I restart the laptop as it restarts it prints the job but then displays a message saying Brother HLL2350DW for CUPS Processing - "Waiting for job to complete."
It doesn't clear the job once it's printed and only prints when it first see's the printer when restarting.

I've followed the tutorial completely but still have issues.
Is this connection correct?

Screenshot from 2023-05-22 19-31-19.jpg
Any further help is much appreciated
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

I have a Brother HLL2375DW used in Wi-Fi, on Linux Mint 20.3, installed with Brother drivers.

Its connection is "dnssd://Brother%20HL-L2375DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-3c2af4d27073" and looks very similar to yours. So, your connection seems OK.

When reading posts and "Printers and scanners" forum, it seems that several people have the same problem as yours and don't arrive to print with Linux Mint 21.1 while it worked well on Linux Mint 21.

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by sleepymouse »

Hi Mike

Mine worked fine on 20.3.
I never used 21 but migrated to 21.1
It does appear that we all have the same issue which hopefully will get fixed otherwise there will be a lot of users unable to print.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

What is strange is that Cups installation and all the printers related stuff don't come from Linux Mint but from Ubuntu.

Here are the Cinnamon Vera release notes: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php, nothing seems to be related to printers.

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by sleepymouse »

Maybe I should replace 21.1 with 21.0.
I'm currently away from home so unable to test anything until next week.
Roddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roddy »

HI sleepymouse, it does appear we have the same problem. To confirm please try this start up sequence:

1. go to the printer setup dialog (administration > printers) right click all installed printers and choose (Delete) to delete all printers.
2. shut down your computer and printer
3. turn on computer and boot to the mint desktop.
4. turn on your printer

With my system, my printer is installed and I can go to the setup dialog box, which shows the installed printer, click on properties and then click on (print test page) and the test page is printed. The printer works for several minutes and then it becomes unreachable. If I click on (print test page) the print fails - click on the properties dialog and then printer state, it shows (idle - No suitable destination host found by cups-browsed).
Roddy
sleepymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sleepymouse »

Hi Roddy

I'm currently on holiday until the weekend. I'll give it a try once I get home. Definitely sounds like you issues are very much the same. I think there is possibility a bug somewhere in the code but cannot decide if it's the network or printer.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”