Just got a warning Root has '0' bytes left --- [ gonna Fresh Install it, and be done ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Just got a warning Root has '0' bytes left --- [ solved ]

Post by linux-rox »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 pm Sure would like to know why the Low Disk Space is always appearing
How large was sda2 at installation? You increased its size recently (during this thread). Was there another size increase previously? And did you install directly to this SSD or transfer the system in by copy or clone from another drive? Ran into a problem years ago, where a file system copied (with dd) into a larger partition stayed the same size. If that's the problem here, can be solved, but it's complicated.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Just got a warning Root has '0' bytes left --- [ solved ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

linux-rox wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:21 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:16 pm Sure would like to know why the Low Disk Space is always appearing
How large was sda2 at installation? You increased its size recently (during this thread). Was there another size increase previously? And did you install directly to this SSD or transfer the system in by copy or clone from another drive? Ran into a problem years ago, where a file system copied (with dd) into a larger partition stayed the same size. If that's the problem here, can be solved, but it's complicated.
I found a pix of it, this is how it was initially, and has been this way for 3 years now, until the recent change to ~80 gB
Gparted SSD.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Just got a warning Root has '0' bytes left --- [ NOT-solved ]

Post by linux-rox »

My hypothesis was just a shot in the dark. Plainly not the issue here, though, as you were earlier using more space. Anyway, as the warning has returned, please report the output of the command I mentioned earlier: sudo du -xhd1 / | sort -hr.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

linux-rox wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:02 pm My hypothesis was just a shot in the dark. Plainly not the issue here, though, as you were earlier using more space. Anyway, as the warning has returned, please report the output of the command I mentioned earlier: sudo du -xhd1 / | sort -hr.
Sure, here you are:

Code: Select all

john@FX705GM:~$ sudo du -xhd1 / | sort -hr
[sudo] password for john:  
21G	/
11G	/usr
6.5G	/var
424M	/media
422M	/opt
400M	/boot
29M	/etc
6.7M	/root
232K	/tmp
16K	/lost+found
12K	/mnt
8.0K	/timeshift
4.0K	/srv
4.0K	/cdrom
john@FX705GM:~$ 

am I to assume, that this report shows "how much" each folder is consuming?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:20 pm am I to assume, that this report shows "how much" each folder is consuming?
Exactly, and the first line is the total. If the broad command shows an anomaly (yours doesn't), can query each directory. For example, sudo du -xhd1 /var | sort -hr, which would show whether the /var/log folder is abnormally large.

Frankly, was hoping to see a big bogey in /root, which would suggest an accumulation of files deleted as administrator. Having a bit of doubt, though, whether the du command counts trash, so please run sudo ls -lash /root/.local/share/Trash, which I know does.

Running out of ideas, but these are the things I would check if I were getting that '0' bytes left warning.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

linux-rox wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:20 pm am I to assume, that this report shows "how much" each folder is consuming?
Exactly, and the first line is the total. If the broad command shows an anomaly (yours doesn't), can query each directory. For example, sudo du -xhd1 /var | sort -hr, which would show whether the /var/log folder is abnormally large.

Frankly, was hoping to see a big bogey in /root, which would suggest an accumulation of files deleted as administrator. Having a bit of doubt, though, whether the du command counts trash, so please run sudo ls -lash /root/.local/share/Trash, which I know does.

Running out of ideas, but these are the things I would check if I were getting that '0' bytes left warning.

now that got very interesting:

Code: Select all

john@FX705GM:~$ sudo ls -lash /root/.local/share/Trash
[sudo] password for john:  
ls: cannot access '/root/.local/share/Trash': No such file or directory
john@FX705GM:~$ 

root.jpg
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Well, I'll be darned. Apparently user-root's delete-to-Trash power has been removed in Cinn 21.1. Hadn't noticed, I guess, because I always disable it. Anyway, bottom line, that's not the explanation for the warning, so we can go back to being baffled. :?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

10:00 hours on 5/30/2023

and that warning pops up again, I just clicked IGNORE
and snored on :mrgreen:
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

What do you get, if you click Examine in the notification window?

If you run terminal command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root" after displayed notification, do you get any relevant information? Try also with grep options -B 5 -A 5. This will display 5 lines before and after a line with pattern match.

Do you get any suspicious outputs if you boot in LM live session and fsck all partitions?

EDIT: added grep options explanation.
Last edited by senjoz on Wed May 31, 2023 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

senjoz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:24 am What do you get, if you click Examine in the notification window?

If you run terminal command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root" after displayed notification, do you get any relevant information? Try also with options -B 5 -A 5.

Do you get any suspicious outputs if you boot in LM live session and fsck all partitions?
I get what I posted in Post #1
viewtopic.php?p=2333016#p2333016

the above Terminal Commands, I will run those the next time this occurs.

the only Live Session I ran, was to use Foxclone to back up everything before I made the Partition changes mentioned earlier in this thread.

I will now, boot up in LM21 Live Session and do the
fsck
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

in Live Session,

I identified the Partition in NEMO,

then Opened Terminal inside that Partition, and typed 'fsck'
all it did was come back with the Version number.

did a MAN FSCK and got all kinds of gobble degook that I do NOT understand.

I can see the UUID, but to not know what format to use with FSCK to ensure I do not screw up my drive.

if you have the patience,
give me the command using the UUID info and I can use that.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:46 pm ... what format to use with FSCK to ensure I do not screw up my drive.
FWIW, fsck is just about the safest command in Linux which actually does anything. OTOH, I see from the man page that the -N option = "Don't execute, just show what would be done," in other words a dry run. This should do it: sudo fsck -N /dev/sda2.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

You can check filesystem consistency also in GParted, right click on the partition, select Check and then click Apply button.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

the Alarm notification just popped up again,
on my way to Doctor's office, no time to explain,
just the two screen shots I took

Examine display.jpg
Chart Examine3.jpg
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

About running fsck from terminal opened when browsing that partition with Nemo...bad idea. Partition you need to check/repair filesystem must be unmounted. You can do it in a graphical way with Disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks, select disk on the left and partition on the right>click o gears icon downside>Repair filesystem) or Gparted as indicated before.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:49 am About running fsck from terminal opened when browsing that partition with Nemo...bad idea. Partition you need to check/repair filesystem must be unmounted. You can do it in a graphical way with Disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks, select disk on the left and partition on the right>click o gears icon downside>Repair filesystem) or Gparted as indicated before.
duh,
I know better than that....
but was not aware of the method you just mentioned, big help.

just woke up the laptop this morning to be greeted by a "new message" which borders on the ridiculous. would sure like to know WHY this keeps happening?

780 MB remaining trimmed.jpg
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:49 am
You can do it in a graphical way with Disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks, select disk on the left and partition on the right>click o gears icon downside>Repair filesystem)
Just now performed the Live Session > Disks > check File System, on every Partition, and every one reports " Undamaged "

so, what is triggering this report?
780 MB remaining trimmed.jpg
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

I would also try with Gparted (last step when checking filesystem with gparted is increase filesystem to complete partition space or something by the way).
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:01 am I would also try with Gparted.
Live Session with Gparted, also came back with a Clean Bill of Health.

note worthy on this, Gparted check filesystem runs about 10 times Faster, than the Disks version.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I expect this is again Timeshift trying to back up some permanently mounted and not excluded large data-type filesystem, and upon running out of space halfway through deleting the "failed" snapshot again before you even notice that it was doing such.

Only other possibility seems to be something writing humongous temporary files to /tmp until it fails similarly -- but at 60G that seems pushing it, so I'd go check Timeshift configuration and/or correlate with indeed such a data-type filesystem being mounted somewhere that Timeshift feels needs backing up.

If it's again Timeshift as per above contemplate disabling the stupid thing outright -- but at least exclude what needs excluding.

Return to “Software & Applications”