Will reinstalling Linux Mint on my SSD wipe out my Windows data?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bruhguy
Level 1
Level 1

Will reinstalling Linux Mint on my SSD wipe out my Windows data?

Post by bruhguy »

If I were to reinstall Linux Mint on my SSD, it would remove all my data on Linux Mint, but would it remove the data on Windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will reinstalling Linux Mint on my SSD wipe out my Windows data?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, bruhguy.

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum. :)

You have to install Linux Mint on the same disk partition(s), where the current Linux Mint installation lives. If you do, the installer will not touch any Windows disk partition.
  • Before you start re-installing, still running your current Linux Mint installation, determine the device name(s) of the disk partition(s), which are part of your current Linux Mint installation.
  • Write down the device names and the name(s) of the filesystem mountpoints.
  • Boot your machine from the Linux Mint live & installation system.
  • Inside the Linux Mint installation select as your installation type Something else.
    Only this "Something else" installation will permit you to tell the installer which disk partitions to use for the filesystem(s) /, /home (in case /home is on a separate partition) etc.
  • Select the same devices, which you have noted down above.
    Assign each device the same mountpoint as before.
    Do not select any other devices.
Unless you commit a bad mistake, your Windows disk paritions should be safe and remain unchanged.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

I have an additional suggestion, but rather than try to cover all cases, would prefer to see what you actually have. Please post a brief overview of your present partition scheme. A screenshot of how it looks in Disks would be great. The output of lsblk -f would be fine also.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Why not keep things simple and install Linux Mint into a separate ssd instead of " along side windows" ?

Seriously. think about this.

If you prep a Linux mint install drive, disable quick boot in Windows and your uefi/bios ( also disable secure boot) , properly power down the system, disconnect your windows drive, connect only the LM installation drive and the target drive to install that into, select " continue testing " at the end of the install wizard, properly power down the pc ( gui buttons or terminal command of shutdown now), then reconnect your windows drive....

....You'll have a much safer and simpler version of a dual boot system if you're not yet ready to go 100% Linux. Grub will be on the Linux drive where it really belongs..and wont' touch Windows Boot manager..and Windows boot manager won't touch the Linux world where it doesn't belong.

Also chances are you can use a quick boot menu access Fkey if your motherboard is modern enough. And you can still always change which of the two drives in uefi/bios is the one that the system boots to automatically.

Also..backing up your system is much easier this way as there is no guessing involving which partition has exactly what. You'll be able to more easily tell which is which OS world.

Simplicity, intelligent separation and thus less chances for accidental data loss. ;)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1 on separate drives.
Also if something goes south--only one os to reinstall
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”