Installation

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
enesha
Level 1
Level 1

Installation

Post by enesha »

Hi Guys

Been using Mint for a while now. on Vera now and historically coming from Ubuntu and going further back we have Mandriva, puppy, redhat, centos, freebsd, and slackware if you really want to go backwards lol

I was installing on someone elses machine today and I ran into 2 things I would just like to mention about the Installation process that sorta bothered me before but just annoyed me today.

So first off, I remember fondly the days of choosing what should be installed. Several screens with packages to choose from. I understand that we're all moving to a more user friendly GUI experience, but could we have some install options? I dont need/want Libre Office, samba etc. Personally im coming at it from a server perspective but my friend isn't interested in LO and certainly has no use for samba, esp considering it's installed but requires PITA effort to actually get it running. They both just use up space (yes libre is only1.5 gig which isn't much in the multi T world, but others are still at 512 or 256 gig). es I can just purge them later but it's a waste of time and bandwidth (if it is still there when system auto updates).

Second of all, the installer (from a live USB installer) happily does an apparent apt update and upgrade. Why not give the user a choice? I.E. we recommend the newest packages. Would you like to update now or do it yourself later? We have been waiting an interminable amount of time for this to run. Personally I don't like those updates, disable auto updates in the manager and upgrade myself when I have the time or need to do so. I have had more than one program (usually not from the repository) kill itself based on something new or updated from apt doing that. Happens in windows all the time.

Just as a conclusion - Installing what the installer want to,and updating when it damn well feels like it is, at least partially, what helps people decide to move from MS and Windows that are all knowing, and work from a perspective of they know better than you. MS does as much as changing the UI mid stream with some of its Anniversary, and whatever updates. Moves where your start menu is, etc.

I know there were discussions about all of this while working on the various builds, and every one has an opinion, so I am just sharing mine in a (hopeull) non confrontational way
Last edited by SMG on Sun May 28, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Installation & Boot to Suggestions & Feedback.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”