[SOLVED] Linux Mint Mate 20.3: Failed to start LSB ... upon entering runlevel 1 (single)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tom739
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Linux Mint Mate 20.3: Failed to start LSB ... upon entering runlevel 1 (single)

Post by Tom739 »

Dear All

I just upgraded my computer from Linux Mint Mate 19.3 to Linux Mint Mate 20.3. After the upgrade and my configurations were completed, I decided to create a backup. I created the first backup with timeshift, which completed without any problems. Afterwards, I wanted to create an old fashioned backup on DVD running "dump" in single user (rescue) mode. However, after switching into single user (rescue) mode as root per

Code: Select all

init 1
the error message
systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: executed by init(8) upon entering runlevel 1 (single).
was displayed and no further keyboard entry was displayed on the screen. So, I had to reboot my computer.

Searching the internet I found the forum thread Stuck into a single-user mode on Ubuntu 20.04 Kernel 5.4 which described the same issue and proposed a fix in /etc/init.d/single. I am posting this issue and the solution here in order to help others, who may run into the same problem.

The problem is related to line 17 in /etc/init.d/single:

exec init -t1 S
The option "-t1" is no longer supported by init of systemd 245.4.4, which caused the aforementioned error. After replacing that line by

exec init S
the single user (rescue) mode was reached without any problems and I could run my additional backup.

Regards
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”