Sound Blaster Z, Mint Cinn'21.2, no sound, mic works.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Sound Blaster Z, Mint Cinn'21.2, no sound, mic works.

Post by zelazny »

Hello everyone. :)
Well, after buying the SSD Crucial MX500 disk only for Linux (I really appreciate this manufacturer for reliability and durability, I have the MX100), I decided to install it today and chose Linux Mint Cinnamon. I installed the system.
I was surprised when I saw how nice the desktop looks, and when I saw the Firefox browser, it warmed my heart, although I knew that it would be ready for use.
The BigFoot Killer 2200 LAN controller on the motherboard required no drivers, which I was very happy about.
Even the printer was ready to use.

When I looked at the sound icon I was in seventh heaven. 😉
Unfortunately, when I launched Youtube, my face grumbled.
I don't have sound in my headphones, but the microphone works.
Before installing the system, I expected that there would probably be problems with the Sound Blaster Z card.
When I went to the sound settings, I noticed that after touching the microphone, the dash of its activity indicates its life.
In the sound settings, there is information that the card is and it is the SoundB Z model, the input for headphones and the microphone is active and selected. I will add that the icon in the taskbar is also active.

I also checked if any drivers are required and it says that I don't need them.
Please help. It absolutely did not alienate me from Linux, I think that you should kick the ass of monopolists and give more understanding and put your heart into it as much as possible for something that we do not know and that interests us.

My headset is a Beyerdynamic MMX300 1st GEN. Works perfectly on Win10'64bit.

It's a shame that Creative doesn't have full support for Linux in the form of refined drivers with full access to advanced sound settings.

I learned the first commands and thanks to them I installed Team Speak, although I was terribly lost because I had never dealt with commands of any kind. The bar in the TS microphone settings also shows that it is working because the gain bar moves as you speak.

I also recorded my voice in Linux and I hear it in Win10. It is very strange...
Please see the pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/6CAfRNn

Please very much for help.

I can't understand how to f... is possible. No drivers for Sound Blaster from Creative, and no drivers for Realtek ALC1150 which is in MOBO. I found drivers for my Radeon R9 290: "Radeon Software for Linux® version 22.40.6 for Ubuntu 20.04.5 HWE", is it possible file size of 14kB? (OO)
For example, Linux drivers x64 for RTX3060 have 328MB and I don't know if they are for Mint Cinnamon... Damn! Does Microsoft pay companies for making drivers only for Windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound Blaster Z, Mint Cinn'21.1, no sound, mic works.

Post by zelazny »

You know I tell you something. rainbows companies which do not support Linux...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:07 amWell, after buying the SSD Crucial MX500 disk only for Linux (I really appreciate this manufacturer for reliability and durability, I have the MX100), I decided to install it today and chose Linux Mint Cinnamon. I installed the system.
Welcome to the forum, zelazny.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

Have you checked the Tips for Troubleshooting Sound Issues Rev. 1?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

Hi SMG and thanks.

I'm sending you screenshots from Alsamixer and Pavu.
I think that I see the problem. Alsa sees only S/PDIF.
Please look at it. I pressed upload in system reports.
Attachments
pavu3.png
pavu2.png
pavu.png
Last edited by zelazny on Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

And what is analogue stereo duplex.
Attachments
pavu4.png
alsa.png
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

Last... :] I think that now I'm close to the right solution.

Aaaaaa!!! I can't find a solution. When I select creative after restarting the computer it goes back to intel...
What the hell! I don't have Intel but Realtek on the mobo and it's off...
Why something simple is difficult? ;) Maybe it is not me but Linux. It's like a living organism if you want to say hello and get to know him better is not enough to extend your hand...
Like a thinking being, but without feelings, instincts and consciousness. We need more algorithms...

OK, I think that I found the problem. After selecting a creative card and pressing ESC, is not saved. The selected tab is not saved permanently.
After leaving Alsa and returning, I have to select the card again. I know that new settings need restart but it does not work at all.
I can't fix something which I don't have an access.
Is it issue with Alsa mixer? I think so. Because Cinnamon showing connected SB, input and output correctly, same as Pavu...
Attachments
alsa44.png
new2.png
new.png
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

This is very interesting, I noticed one interesting thing. When I start windows everything works fine. All drivers are available when Linux has them in it. Now I understood that Linux is, a system for finding intelligent people. Keep it simple, but still think not of masses but of individuals. Maybe you should to find your destiny once again and delete all solutions taked from windows.

Hmmm, I think I know how to do it. This thought came to me a couple seconds ago.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:57 amI pressed upload in system reports.
I don't see this information in your post. You were to copy and paste the information into a reply window. I am not aware of an upload button, but perhaps you are not working with an English install and the exact terms are called something different. If you are not able to upload the information, then provide the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
What is the output of

aplay -l
zelazny wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:13 am When I select creative after restarting the computer it goes back to intel...
I do not understand what this statement means. The sound driver name might be different from the hardware name on your computer, but without your system data, it is hard to know what you are referencing.
zelazny wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:13 am After selecting a creative card and pressing ESC, is not saved. The selected tab is not saved permanently.
I do not understand what you mean about "selecting a creative card" and wanting to save it. In what application are you selecting it and why does it need 'saved'?
zelazny wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:33 am When I start windows everything works fine.
Do you have fast startup disabled in Windows? How to turn off fast startup or hybrid sleep in Windows
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

I showed you screenshots and described the problem,
would seem understandable, and you ask me what I wrote down and in what program. After all, I only have two choices, intel or creative, as presented in the screenshot. When I'm selecting creative card and clicking ENTER, this setting is not remembered. When I return to the program, I have to select the same setting again. If I choose intel, I only have S/PDIF, I note that Alsamixer is mentioned all the time. Now better? Do you rely only on what the user sends you in paws?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:38 am I showed you screenshots and described the problem,
would seem understandable, and you ask me what I wrote down and in what program. After all, I only have two choices, intel or creative, as presented in the screenshot. When I'm selecting creative card and clicking ENTER, this setting is not remembered. When I return to the program, I have to select the same setting again. If I choose intel, I only have S/PDIF, I note that Alsamixer is mentioned all the time. Now better?
I asked you for specific information so we can see what sound card and drivers are being used your system. Your screenshots do not provide that information.

If you do not want to provide the requested info, that is fine. I will then wish you good luck in figuring out the problem yourself.

Sound problems are very much hardware dependent and there is an extremely wide variety of hardware available so it is necessary to provide data to get help. There is not one sound card driver that everyone uses. There are lots of different drivers to match the different hardware.
zelazny wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:13 am Last... :] I think that now I'm close to the right solution.
Your first attachment in the post containing this quote shows MM at the bottom of the front speaker even though there is volume showing. You will need to unmute the muted columns if you want to hear sound.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

I will send you spec ASAP. Thanks...
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

SMG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:20 am
zelazny wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:38 am I showed you screenshots and described the problem,
would seem understandable, and you ask me what I wrote down and in what program. After all, I only have two choices, intel or creative, as presented in the screenshot. When I'm selecting creative card and clicking ENTER, this setting is not remembered. When I return to the program, I have to select the same setting again. If I choose intel, I only have S/PDIF, I note that Alsamixer is mentioned all the time. Now better?
I asked you for specific information so we can see what sound card and drivers are being used your system. Your screenshots do not provide that information.

If you do not want to provide the requested info, that is fine. I will then wish you good luck in figuring out the problem yourself.

Sound problems are very much hardware dependent and there is an extremely wide variety of hardware available so it is necessary to provide data to get help. There is not one sound card driver that everyone uses. There are lots of different drivers to match the different hardware.
zelazny wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:13 am Last... :] I think that now I'm close to the right solution.
Your first attachment in the post containing this quote shows MM at the bottom of the front speaker even though there is volume showing. You will need to unmute the muted columns if you want to hear sound.
Hello, some time has passed since my last post. I spent some time in the hospital. I already have a pendrive with Mint 2.12 ready. When I installed the previous version of the system, I took the easy way and installed the system on the C drive, without additional partitions. As this is my first contact with Linux. Could you please send me an article about creating partitions in Linux Mint? I would like to have a C drive for the system and another partition for data. Perhaps the problem does not occur in version 2.12.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:16 pmWhen I installed the previous version of the system, I took the easy way and installed the system on the C drive, without additional partitions.
That is the normal recommendation for installing. I only have the one partition.
zelazny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:16 pm As this is my first contact with Linux. Could you please send me an article about creating partitions in Linux Mint? I would like to have a C drive for the system and another partition for data.
There are a lot of people who mistakenly call a separate home partition a data partition. A data partition is just data (music, documents, etcetera) and you can create that at any time.

If you want to create separate partitions for root and home, that would be done using the "Something Else" option on the installer. In that case, home would include all your desktop configuration files, user preference files, and data files.
zelazny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:16 pm Perhaps the problem does not occur in version 2.12.
You could boot to a live session using the pendrive and see if it works.

I hope you are feeling better now.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

Yes, thank you, I'm fine.

I just installed Mint 2.12 Cinnamon in the same way as on this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHjqllzTy0
The worst thing is, no sound at all. :/
So, the battle starts to begin again. Any ideas for the steps?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:17 pmSo, the battle starts to begin again. Any ideas for the steps?
Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelazny »

SMG wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:12 pm
zelazny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:17 pmSo, the battle starts to begin again. Any ideas for the steps?
Thanks, now I have HDMI cable and RX6650XT.

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-86-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z97X-SOC Force v: x.x serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: F8 date: 09/19/2015
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3 cache:
    L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 8 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 4400 high: 4401 min/max: 800/4400 cores: 1: 4400 2: 4400 3: 4400 4: 4401
    5: 4401 6: 4401 7: 4400 8: 4400 bogomips: 64002
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: Tul driver: amdgpu v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 ports:
    active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,DP-2,DP-3 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:73ef
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-0 mapped: HDMI-A-1 model: FS2333 res: 1920x1080 dpi: 96 diag: 585mm (23")
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT (navi23 LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.42 5.15.0-86-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 21 HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 03:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:ab28
  Device-2: Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 1102:0012
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-86-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: alx v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: d000 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:e091
  IF: enp8s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 471.36 GiB used: 10.07 GiB (2.1%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: MZVPW256HEGL-00000 size: 238.47 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s
    lanes: 4 serial: <filter> temp: 29.9 C
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT250MX500SSD1 size: 232.89 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
    serial: <filter>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 110.69 GiB used: 9.85 GiB (8.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 486 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
  ID-3: /home size: 109.44 GiB used: 220.2 MiB (0.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 7.63 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda2
USB:
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
  Hub-2: 1-1:2 info: Intel ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 8087:8009
  Hub-3: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
  Hub-4: 2-1:2 info: Intel Integrated Hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 8087:8001
  Hub-5: 3-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 14 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
  Device-1: 3-3:2 info: SteelSeries ApS Rival 100 Gaming Mouse type: HID,Mouse
    driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1038:1702
  Device-2: 3-13:3 info: Canon iP2800 series type: Printer driver: usblp rev: 2.0
    speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 04a9:10e4
  Hub-6: 4-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 6 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0003
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: amdgpu temp: 29.0 C mem: 26.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 0
Repos:
  Packages: apt: 2164
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com victoria main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
Info:
  Processes: 302 Uptime: 1m Memory: 15.5 GiB used: 1.83 GiB (11.8%) Init: systemd v: 249
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.13
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:53 pmThanks, now I have HDMI cable and RX6650XT.
I know those with RX6600's had better performance using at least a 6.0 kernel so I suggest upgrading to the 6.2 kernel available in Update Manager.

Instructions for upgrading to the 6.2 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 6.2 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
You made a comment earlier in the topic that switching to the Sound Blaster had to be redone every time you rebooted. Is the Sound Blaster showing as the primary sound device in the BIOS/UEFI? I ask because the onboard sound is showing as Device-1 in the inxi output. The Creative Labs is the second device.

Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 21 HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16 bus-ID: 03:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:ab28
  Device-2: Creative Labs Sound Core3D [Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 1102:0012
I helped someone else with that same device in this topic [SOLVED] No Sound Output Through Headphones and in their case it was just muted in alsamixer. In fact, going back to the screenshot you posted here, I can see the MM at the bottom of the Front, Surround, and other columns. MM means it is muted.
zelazny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound Blaster Z, Mint Cinn'21.2, no sound, mic works.

Post by zelazny »

As you see, I have in BIOS disabled Realtek ALC1150.
Sorry, I have only the possibility to enable/disable Realtek.
In the whole BIOS, I don't see a Creative sound card.
Attachments
IMG20231015154229.jpg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sound Blaster Z, Mint Cinn'21.2, no sound, mic works.

Post by SMG »

zelazny wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:01 am As you see, I have in BIOS disabled Realtek ALC1150.
Then it is apparently the HDMI which is showing as Device 1. (Sound through your RX 6650 XT.)

Did you unmute the columns in alsamixer for the Sound Blaster to see if you could get sound through it?

Return to “Sound”