PulseAudio Won't Start Automatically

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windexh8er
Level 1
Level 1

PulseAudio Won't Start Automatically

Post by windexh8er »

Odd one...

This is on LM Cinnamon 21.1.

I've gone through all the documentation on sound fix tips, but I recently did some updates and rebooted. No sound anymore. From the system settings no devices showed up. I'm currently doing audio through DisplayPort, or was. Anyway I went down the path of troubleshooting and realized that pulseaudio wasn't running. I tried removing / purging all configuration and reinstalling. Same thing.

But if I just manually start pulseaudio with:

Code: Select all

pulseaudio --start
Everything works fine. I don't recall doing anything to impact pulse, however. How should it start? Because it seems like something is missing or broken preventing that from happening.

TIA!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: PulseAudio Won't Start Automatically

Post by SMG »

windexh8er wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:03 pm Odd one...

This is on LM Cinnamon 21.1.
Welcome to the forum, windexh8er.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
windexh8er wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:03 pmI've gone through all the documentation on sound fix tips, but I recently did some updates and rebooted. No sound anymore.
Do you use Timeshift? If so, revert back to a snapshot of when the sound was working.

Usually, the only time pulseaudio does not start automatically is when changes were made to the system and/or someone removed and re-installed pulseaudio. In those cases, I've not yet found a way to help someone to get it to work properly (probably because we were never sure what broke it) and it never seems to start automatically when someone re-installs it after removing it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Sound”