Mint 21.1 - IPv4 shows as "unknown" = some sites load, others don't

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 21.1 - IPv4 shows as "unknown" = some sites load, others don't

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi all.

I recently upgraded 3 laptops and a PC from Mint 20 to Mint 21.1.
I replaced the spinning metal drives with SSD ones. All seemed OK.

However, since then, all of them work fine on the main router, but when I try to connect to my Netgear Wi-Fi extender all the entries in "Connection information" show the word "unknown" in the IPv4 section. Some websites will load, but others (including this one, and the BBC for example) will not load at all. I get = This site can’t be reached Check if there is a typo in www."website name here"
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

If I put the old hard drive(s) back in (Mint 20), all is fine.
My Smart TV, my phone and my Firestick all connect to this extender and all websites load just fine.
I have checked the settings (on all 4 computers) in Network Connections and all seems correct (IPv4 set to Automatic as usual).

I have done a full factory re-set on this extender, and re-made the connection to my router = no change.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

Thanks in advance,
John in the middle of the UK
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 21.1 - IPv4 shows as "unknown" = some sites load, others don't

Post by ghost123uk »

Ummm, obviously a tricky one this is............. :wink:
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

That sounds very odd. At this point, I would not trust the GUI. Use the terminal to see what's really happening.
Compare the results between the 2 wifi points.
Firstly, look at the IP addresses with the command ip addr.
Secondly, look at the routing table ip route.
But I think the most likely issue is something related to DNS. Try host -v forums.linuxmint.com in both locations.

Do they start working if you leave them on the extender for 30 minutes? I'm wondering if it might be an ARP cache problem related to a change in MAC address when you switch access points.

Ultimately, I would want to use tcpdump to see what's really happening on the wire, but the above tests may give us a clue what to look for.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

There have been Wi-Fi connection issues with the 5.15 kernel. As far as I can quickly find this should be fixed also in the Ubuntu/Mint 5.15 series meaning that if the systems are up to date you should be good -- but if you are on 5.15 I'd still try a newer series kernel via Update Manager -> View -> Linux Kernels, even if only to rule it out.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Depending on model it is possible to integrate Netgear Wi-Fi extender in the network in so many ways. Even for wild guess original description is too ambiguous.
-=t42=-

Return to “Networking”