(Solved)Log in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved)Log in

Post by BoDill »

When I try to log onto my desktop (a very old Dell), I get a couple lines across the top of a black page that say,
“Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa bo-OptiPlex-790 tty1
bo-OptiPlex-790 login: “

I have spent hours trying to “log in” using every password that I have ever used for anything, and nothing works. Obviously, I am not a computer whiz…..can any one help me?

ALSO, since I am not good at this, if this should have been posted somewhere else, please either do it for me, or let me know where else I should post it.

Thank you for your help,

BoDill
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 ; Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Mate (Renew 2027)
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 20.3 Una Mate (Renew April 2025)
Laptop 2: HP ProBook 440 G3, Linux Mint 20.3 Una Mate (Renew April 2025)
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Log in

Post by mikeflan »

Is it really so old you have to use Linux Mint 19.1?

Please type this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxmprz
Post the output to this forum in "Code" tags. The button that inserts these tags is marked </>, which is in the mini toolbar above the edit box where you type your reply.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=364929
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

First, thank you for kind attention. Next, I plan to upgrade my desktop when I can afford to (right now, I am typing on my laptop).

Then,I’m not quite sure what to do with your directions. No matter what I do (and I have been trying different things all day), I end up with a black screen with the two sentences I mentioned above; “Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa bo-OptiPlex-790 tty1........... bo-OpitPlex-790 login: .

No mater what I enter after the word “login”, the word, Password” shows up below it. Then, no matter what I type after “Password”, nothing shows up on the screen while I am typing, but as soon as I finish typing something, I get another line saying, “Login Incorrect”, with “bo-OpitPlex-790 login:” beneath it.

I have been doing stuff like this all day with nothing but the same black screen and results mentioned above.

Obviously, I am not very good at this, so I will likely need more specific directions. If I failed to mention this before, I am typing these messages on my laptop,,,.....so anything you tell me to do, I will have to try on the desktop after the word “login:”.

It is now almost 10:30 PM here, and I won't be back until tomorrow. Again, thank you for your help!!!
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Do you have the DVD or USB flash drive you used to install? If so, run that on the desktop so you can get the system information. If you no longer have the installation disk/drive, I suggest you download the current version of Mint, burn to flash drive (using Rufus if your laptop is Windows-only) and see whether that will boot on the desktop. If so, you would be better off installing the current version, as LM19 is no longer supported. If it won't boot, LMDE might be an option (it works on 32-bit CPUs, where the main edition does not). What was the original operating system on the desktop, anyway?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's not loading properly, when it's asking for a login at tty you need to enter your user name. Then it'll ask fir your password.

If that gets you to a GUI you can paste the inxi output asked for above.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

Since I have moved several times over the past few years, I'm afraid That I don't have any old information (or any discs or plug ins).. My desktop has Linux Mint 19.1, and has had it for years, it is a Dell Optiplex 790. As I said, I have been trying stuff for hours with no results (every Login and Password I have ever used). I just have no idea what to do next!!!! Sadly, I am now living in a retirement community in St. Petersburg, FL, and there is only computer shop in the area, which seems to never open.

Any ideas will be welcome!!!!
BoDill
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BoDill »

I just noticed that the same, "Linux Mint" note appears on this laptop for an instant when the screen fills up with stuff. Is it possible to get the "login and password" from this fully functional laptop, so that I could try them on my desktop? If so, how would I do that?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I'm thinking it is not worth getting LM 19.1 going again. If you disagree you can try this:
Reset your password:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/h ... e-password
https://www.tecmint.com/reset-forgotten ... inux-mint/
https://www.how2shout.com/linux/forgot- ... ecover-it/
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... sword.html
https://linuxconfig.org/recover-reset-f ... t-password
https://www.makeuseof.com/reset-forgott ... -password/

If you agree, I suggest you create a LM 20.3 (or LM 21.1) USB install drive, boot that drive on the desktop, and then try out the new OS. If you like it we will tell you how to get any data off your hard drive and then do a new install over the old LM 19.1.

Return to “Beginner Questions”