Grub Dual Boot Error: "no such device" and "disk not found"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Feredir
Level 1
Level 1

Grub Dual Boot Error: "no such device" and "disk not found"

Post by Feredir »

Hello, I am quite new to Linux so forgive me if I don't provide all the information required to fix it (and if my own... DIY attempts of fixing it have messed everything up more).

For some context, my laptop has two hard drives: a 256 GB SSD (sdb is what Linux calls it I believe), and a 1 TB HDD (which is called sda). The SSD is where Windows is installed and where, at first, I had Linux. Back then everything worked fine but I realized that Linux didn't have access to my HDD drive and... kinda messed things up. I decided to uninstall Mint and reinstall it on the HDD, anyway after much... much effort I got Linux all working again (idk if I removed the old one perfectly but it seems to be fine now) and now we get to the error I don't know how to fix.

As I said, Linux Mint runs fine there's a bunch of errors when I first start it but it all starts up fine and I don't know what any of them mean and I'm ignoring them for now. However, whenever I try to boot up Windows from the Grub boot loader I get these error messages:
error: no such device: 603E-1974.
error: disk 'hd1.gpt' not found.
Now, looking in my Disks app on linux shows that 603E-1974 is the UUID for the EFI System partition on my SSD which... after some research I've heard is the one with my Windows OS on it? I'm not sure what to do about that, I tried mounting it, it didn't do anything, maybe that made it worse I don't know.

The disk part doesn't make sense to me but google says it's a common naming convention for disks and stuff so I'm hoping you guys will understand.

I've tried running Grub boot repair and it didn't fix it, I'm not really sure what else to do. I hope you guys can help, thank you

edit: Windows is still there, I was worried it wasn't for a while, but if I change it so that the Windows Boot Loader boots up primarily and doesn't go into the Grub loader it all works
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Grub Dual Boot Error: "no such device" and "disk not found"

Post by kato181 »

There could be a few reasons why this is happening, but we'll get to them later. First boot into your live session usb and in terminal copy & paste the following commands and post the results back here in between the code display brackets 5th icon above the text box. It could also be related to whether windows was installed in Legacy mode or UEFI. For both to work they both must be installed in either legacy mode or uefi, they simply won't work if installed in different modes. You need to disable Secure Boot in your bios also.
Best way is to remove or disconnect the windows drive and install LM on the other drive, again ensuring that they are in the same mode. You also should turn off Fast Boot in windows, do that first before disconnecting it. Also another thing that can happen is windows updates will over ride the grub file so you will have to fix that everytime windows updates as far as I know.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

efibootmgr

Return to “Installation & Boot”