[SOLVED] Need Suggestions for File Permissions from Backup

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gsparky2004
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Need Suggestions for File Permissions from Backup

Post by Gsparky2004 »

UPDATE: There's no, easy way to change the permissions on every file without potentially hosing things up. But the problem is that I backed up the files to a Windows-based partition (NTFS), which is what caused the problem. Therefore, I'm switching the backup drive to "ext4" so that this won't happen in the future.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm running Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon. I managed to completely hose up my "home" directory the other day. I wound up reloading the OS and starting over. I'm slowly rebuilding my system. Here's the (possible) problem: As I copy files over from backup, I noted that they all have full permissions (read + write + execute for owner, group and other.) In other words, its as if I had run "chmod 777" on every file. I know that this can screw up certain encryption settings (SSH, for example). I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other files that I should ensure do NOT have these full permissions? I'm already planning on running a small script that will turn off execution for each of my .txt files (getting annoyed with "Run or display?" each time I open one).
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon controlling an Intel i9-13900 with MSI Z790 mobo, 128 GB of RAM and MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 16GB video card.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Need Suggestions for File Permissions from Backup

Post by linux-rox »

Gsparky2004 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:28 pm (getting annoyed with "Run or display?" each time I open one).
Alternatively, you can eliminate that prompt in File Manager, Edit > Preferences > Behavior.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

There's too many exceptions to any general rule to paste in a local example list so just to note: it's likely that the issue was caused by you backing up to a Microsoft filesystem type, i.e., one not supporting UNIX-credentials by which necessarily any non-standard such credentials are lost on restore.

That is: don't do that...
Gsparky2004
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gsparky2004 »

you can eliminate that prompt in File Manager, Edit > Preferences > Behavior
(*sighs in a very satisfied way when text files now just... open*)
caused by you backing up to a Microsoft filesystem type,
Ah! That's probably precisely what happened. The backup drive was NTFS to make it possible to access files from the Windows partition.
don't do that...
Understood. The "access-from-Windows" is most certainly NOT worth this aggravation. Switching back to "ext4" now.
Thanks.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon controlling an Intel i9-13900 with MSI Z790 mobo, 128 GB of RAM and MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060 16GB video card.

Return to “Other topics”