[Edited 2024-03-21] "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint" Guide.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint" Guide.

Post by Bolle1961 »

MikeNovember wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:13 am
Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:17 am
Moem wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:07 pm I'm not going to download that... it's hosted on a Google drive and I avoid Google as much as I can.
Exactly, making a guide to privacy and the distribute it by google :? :?
Hi,

It is also available from my website. Did you read my original message ? Or do you just quote other forumers posts?

And you misunderstand what Google Drive is: it is a 15 GB storage on cloud; when I connect, I need to enter my user and password; but when anyone downloads something from a link on a Google Drive, nothing is asked. And, if you are afraid with privacy concern, your can use Tor Browser (this is also explained in my message).

Regards,

MN
Yes I read your original post.
I do not misunderstand what google drive is
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:21 am [...]
Yes I read your original post.
I do not misunderstand what google drive is
And so, why do you complain about Google Drive, while you know what it is, and while you know you can download the guide without using Google Drive?

MN
Level 4

Re: [Edited] "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint" Guide.

Post by mmm »

Instead of nitpicking, let us appreciate what a great job MK has done.
A lot of work went into this tutorial.
And I just noticed that new versions have been uploaded every few days, the latest one being version 9:
"2023-07-11 - Revision 9"
Also - I looked at some other forum posts by Mike - and they are all helpful.
So - praise him!
Last edited by mmm on Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerboum
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerboum »

I have a question about Linux, what is the solution ? Between this one which consists to login with sudo each time we want to start some applications, and that exposes our password to be captured by a keylogger, and that let a terminal with admin rights started for some minutes, and the one that consists to set this application to be started without sudo ? which one is the worse ? None is really good in my view
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Hard disks - DOS - no UEFI | 16 GB RAM | No swapfile | .cache on ramdisk | AMD 4 cores | amdgpu driver | Separate home |
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Jerboum wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:39 am I have a question about Linux, what is the solution ? Between this one which consists to login with sudo each time we want to start some applications, and that exposes our password to be captured by a keylogger, and that let a terminal with admin rights started for some minutes, and the one that consists to set this application to be started without sudo ? which one is the worse ? None is really good in my view
Hi,

This is not the question:
- you do not need to use superuser rights to read or to execute a file in the operating system "/";
- you do need to use superuser rights as soon as you want to write in the operating system "/"; some applications that will necessarily write in "/" can be launched only with "sudo" (CLI) or "pkexec" (GUI).

So, you should avoid to use sudo or pkexec when it is not necessary, you should use them when you are obliged only.

Regards,

MN
Level 4

Post by Jerboum »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:26 am
Hi,

This is not the question:
- you do not need to use superuser rights to read or to execute a file in the operating system "/";
- you do need to use superuser rights as soon as you want to write in the operating system "/"; some applications that will necessarily write in "/" can be launched only with "sudo" (CLI) or "pkexec" (GUI).

So, you should avoid to use sudo or pkexec when it is not necessary, you should use them when you are obliged only.

Regards,

MN
Yes, ok but I was speaking for only some applications, quite very rare in fact. So I have the choice for them between to start them with sudo in terminal, and to add them in sudoers by "[user] ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:[path]"
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Hard disks - DOS - no UEFI | 16 GB RAM | No swapfile | .cache on ramdisk | AMD 4 cores | amdgpu driver | Separate home |
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mmm »

The first post in this topic says:
"Revision 9 is online (135 pages, 3.4 MB)
Revision 9 changes: complements about Timeshift in "Proposed minimum backup and restore strategy", typos, small corrections."

When I was reading that edited portion, it seemed to contradict itself somewhat.
At one point it says timeshift is unreliable and buggy.

"TimeShift is not reliable, and has several annoying bugs:
file "info.json" may be corrupted or missing (this seems to be corrected in "22.11.2" version,
see https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues/108),
on Linux Mint 21.x / Ubuntu 22.04, a rsync update breaks TimeShift and prevents it to
work, see https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues/152,
it does not back up snaps, see https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues/179.
Timeshift issues, 128 open ones when writing this document, can be followed at
https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift/issues.
Timeshift should not be considered as a system backup tool, since it is not reliable, and it is not
always able to recover a functional system after a crash
(see viewtopic.php?t=331605).
Moreover, Timeshift use is a security risk: Timeshift reads / writes hundreds of thousands files, in
the operating system. It so offers a large attack surface."

Later on it advises using it and recommends a schedule and how many snaps to keep.

"When your operating system is running, make a Timeshift snapshot.
Periodicity: once a day, or once every two days.
Keep the latest two snapshots."

Does that section of the tutorial need clarifying?
Last edited by mmm on Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

mmm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:09 pm I was reading through the tutorial and got rid of all my timeshift snaps and wiped the schedule.
Then read the second statement and wondered if I had acted prematurely!
That's funny. Luckily it was not a tutorial how to get rid of moles with dynamite.
-=t42=-
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

mmm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:09 pm The first post in this topic says:
"Revision 9 is online (135 pages, 3.4 MB)
Revision 9 changes: complements about Timeshift in "Proposed minimum backup and restore strategy", typos, small corrections."
[...]
When I was reading that edited portion, it seemed to contradict itself somewhat.
[...]
Hi,

Though unreliable, and though not a backup tool, Timeshift is a nice tool when it works, very easy to use (I use it before installing something, or before testing something). So, I recommend its use.

But, since it is not reliable, I recommend to use Timeshift AND a true, reliable, system backup tool: Foxclone. If Timeshift failed in restoring a previous system state, Foxclone would allow it.

I would never, and I didn't, recommend to use Timeshift only.

Of course, you can use Foxclone only for system backups.
mmm wrote: Later on it advises using it and recommends a schedule and how many snaps to keep.

"When your operating system is running, make a Timeshift snapshot.
Periodicity: once a day, or once every two days.
Keep the latest two snapshots."
No, I don't recommend a schedule, since I recommend using an external removable disk. Just make a Timeshift, once a day or once every two days: plug your external disk, launch a Timeshift create, delete the oldest snapshot, close Timeshift and remove your external disk.

Regards,

MN
Level 4

Post by mmm »

MN - thanks for your reply.
I agree with the external HDD for timeshift snaps.
What I do at the moment is just drive imaging.
Foxclone looks good,
But I employ Image For Linux - just because I am used to it.
And it is fast.
On this machine with usb2 it took 5:32 to image 26.46 GiB.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

mmm wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:49 pm MN - thanks for your reply.
I agree with the external HDD for timeshift snaps.
[...]
Hi,

In order to avoid confusion, I have added comments on Timeshift, in section "Proposed minimum backup and restore strategy", in revision 11, published on 2023-07-30 (there are other changes, see the 1st message in this thread).

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Post by johnoo »

From bits I read looks great to me!
Thank you very much!

Johnoo
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Updated to revision 12.

See changes, viewtopic.php?p=2334665#p2334665.

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MikeNovember wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:13 am
Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:17 am
Moem wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:07 pm I'm not going to download that... it's hosted on a Google drive and I avoid Google as much as I can.
Exactly, making a guide to privacy and the distribute it by google :? :?
Hi,

It is also available from my website. Did you read my original message ? Or do you just quote other forumers posts?

And you misunderstand what Google Drive is: it is a 15 GB storage on cloud; when I connect, I need to enter my user and password; but when anyone downloads something from a link on a Google Drive, nothing is asked. And, if you are afraid with privacy concern, your can use Tor Browser (this is also explained in my message).

Regards,

MN
I can speak only for myself. I quit drinking out of the Google Punch Bowl about a year and a half ago. Basically, out of sheer distrust of Google.

I moved everything out of Google Drive into a paid IceDrive account. My Google calendars now reside as a Thunderbird calendar. And when I go to YouTube, it's via a Firefox container and I'm not even logged in. For the channel creators that I want to follow. I have an RSS feed brought in to Akregator. That way I will get notified of everything they post. To search for YouTube tutorials on my phone. I use NewPipe.

Sadly, I still have to maintain a Google email because of my Android phone. (until I gain the knowledge to flash my phone)... And when I need to install an app on my phone I'll check F-Droid first.

So I can fully understand the sentiment of those that do not want to download because it's on a Google Drive. Thank you for also putting it on your own website. At 142 pages it's going to take me a little while to get through it. And I'm sure there's probably gonna be something that is over my head. Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

TaterChip wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:25 pm I can speak only for myself. I quit drinking out of the Google Punch Bowl about a year and a half ago. Basically, out of sheer distrust of Google.

I moved everything out of Google Drive into a paid IceDrive account. My Google calendars now reside as a Thunderbird calendar. And when I go to YouTube, it's via a Firefox container and I'm not even logged in. For the channel creators that I want to follow. I have an RSS feed brought in to Akregator. That way I will get notified of everything they post. To search for YouTube tutorials on my phone. I use NewPipe.

Sadly, I still have to maintain a Google email because of my Android phone. (until I gain the knowledge to flash my phone)... And when I need to install an app on my phone I'll check F-Droid first.

So I can fully understand the sentiment of those that do not want to download because it's on a Google Drive. Thank you for also putting it on your own website.
Hi,

You mention you distrust Google, and to have abandoned Google Drive. It is your opinion, and I respect it.

However, what you mention is the point of view of a Google Drive owner.

But this is not related at all with the use of Google Drive when you download a file from a Drive you don't own: your security or your privacy is not exposed, nothing is asked to you by Google.

Downloading from Google Drive or from my website (hosted by a service provider) just exposes your IP address to be logged. And, if you don't want it, just use Tor Browser, as I mentioned in my post (1st message of this thread)!
TaterChip wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:25 pm At 142 pages it's going to take me a little while to get through it. And I'm sure there's probably gonna be something that is over my head. Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
I have added a comment on the 1st message:
Use of this guide:
It contains a list of threats; if you feel concerned by a threat, you can find in the correspondence matrix, at the end of the guide, the corresponding prevention means.
[If you are a physician, a lawyer, a journalist, an activist, or a whistleblower, you might feel concerned by all threats!]
Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MikeNovember wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:50 pm Hi,

You mention you distrust Google, and to have abandoned Google Drive. It is your opinion, and I respect it.

However, what you mention is the point of view of a Google Drive owner.

But this is not related at all with the use of Google Drive when you download a file from a Drive you don't own: your security or your privacy is not exposed, nothing is asked to you by Google.

Downloading from Google Drive or from my website (hosted by a service provider) just exposes your IP address to be logged. And, if you don't want it, just use Tor Browser, as I mentioned in my post (1st message of this thread)!
TaterChip wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:25 pm At 142 pages it's going to take me a little while to get through it. And I'm sure there's probably gonna be something that is over my head. Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
I have added a comment on the 1st message:
Use of this guide:
It contains a list of threats; if you feel concerned by a threat, you can find in the correspondence matrix, at the end of the guide, the corresponding prevention means.
[If you are a physician, a lawyer, a journalist, an activist, or a whistleblower, you might feel concerned by all threats!]
Regards,

MN
My point was not to bash you for using Google Drive, only to explain my distrust of Google, which I assume some of these others that have voiced an opinion have the same distrust.

as for "nothing is asked to you by Google".... herein lies the greater problem. They collect so much of user data behind the user's back without asking them anything.

There is currently 59 cookies in the Google container within Firefox. And ZERO of those cookies are used to log into anything. Therefore, it's all Google trying to track what I do behind my back and not asking me anything.

I think this might be the problem people have when they commented about Google.

Like I said, I am not bashing you over this. I'm simply explaining why I chose not to go to the Google link. And I greatly appreciate the fact that you put it up on your own website. It has been downloaded and when I get an opportunity, I will read through it.

UPDATE

Curiosity got the best of me, so I opened up a new tab in the Google container and pasted in the link to your Google Drive. I now have a new cookie from GoogleUserContent.com, which I can only assume is a tracking cookie.

So you are indeed correct, they asked nothing from you, but they will definitely put stuff on your machine the moment you go to Google to download from a Google Drive document.
Last edited by Moem on Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trimming a quote. Please quote selectively, we all know how to scroll up. No need to quote the whole thing.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

TaterChip wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:21 pm [...]
UPDATE

Curiosity got the best of me, so I opened up a new tab in the Google container and pasted in the link to your Google Drive. I now have a new cookie from GoogleUserContent.com, which I can only assume is a tracking cookie.

So you are indeed correct, they asked nothing from you, but they will definitely put stuff on your machine the moment you go to Google to download from a Google Drive document.
Hi,

When you go to any website you expose your IP address, you may receive cookies, and you may be tracked with cookies or with browser fingerprints.

The means to prevent tracking are explained in my guide, in Safe browsing paragraph.

But you can't apply the guide content before to have downloaded it...

That's why I recommend downloading the guide with Tor Browser, https://www.torproject.org/download/, providing anonymity and good privacy, to avoid being tracked during download.

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Updated to revision 13.

See changes, viewtopic.php?p=2334665#p2334665.

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [Edited 2023-09-18] "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint" Guide.

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Updated to revision 17.

See changes, viewtopic.php?p=2334665#p2334665

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Re: [Edited 2023-09-18] "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint" Guide.

Post by foca23 »

Thank you very much for preparing this guide, for those of us who are new to Linux it will be very useful. I thank you infinitely. Blessings.
MikeNovember wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:29 am Hi,

I have written a PDF Guide: "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint".

PS: Please avoid to open side discussions, this is the Tutorials forum, not a chat one.

Return to “Tutorials”