Best use of 32GB SSD?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Best use of 32GB SSD?

Post by Kylemaul »

Wondering what to do with it? Make it bootable media for catastrophic failure? Pseudo RAM disk? Make it the boot partition? ________? Pros and cons of any of these versus the others?
This is more of a curiosity query than anything else. Actual hardware is LITEONIT LMT-32L3M (LWFA).
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Best use of 32GB SSD?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Except for 512GB Samsung 970 Pros (which I use for boot drives), I won't use any SSDs smaller than 4TB (and I won't buy any smaller than 8TB anymore. I have a few retired 500GB SSDs and a couple of also retired 2TB SSDs collecting dust when I'm not using one or two for experiments that could ruin one of my larger SSDs.

You could always get an enclosure to put your 32GB SSd into to make it into an external USB drive although that would be rather bulky and expensive considering how inexpensive really tiny USB flash drives that size, and even larger, are available for less than the enclosure (I am considering that for my 2TB SSDs. Another possibility is to use it for swap space in your computer if you have a free SATA port.

You may just have to accept a drive that small and old just needs to be permanently retired and discarded
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Perhaps a Timeshift drive for backups
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

OunceofCommonSense wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:49 pm Perhaps a Timeshift drive for backups
+1
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

What other disks do you have?
32G could make a reasonably sized root partition if you have another larger disk for /home or data.
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions! =]
This is the closest so far as to what I've been thinking of using it for:
ajgreeny wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:47 pm What other disks do you have?
32G could make a reasonably sized root partition if you have another larger disk for /home or data.
I've got beaucoup other drive space (total ~10TBs) so this seems like a fantastic use for it. I have heard that SSDs have limited usage, though, so it might be prudent to have a backup of some sort for if/when it fails, idk?. This PC is, in fact, being used as a HTPC/gaming rig, even though it is an older rig. "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid." =]]
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I have a "spare" chromebook that I converted to a Linux Mint machine.

It has an internal 32 GB eMMC. It's set up for root and home. I use it for light use.

Attached, I have a 128 GB for Timeshift and data backup.
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Kylemaul wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 pm ...I have heard that SSDs have limited usage, though, so it might be prudent to have a backup of some sort for if/when it fails, idk?...
Very prudent!

32GB may be a bit small for a boot drive, even if you place /home on another drive. To maximize the write life an SSD, you should use no more than 75-80% of its capacity. That's only 24-25GB. My laptop's boot drive uses 49.5GB (and I don't keep any data in /home). How much room you will need will depend on your usage.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

make it a ventoy drive that you could put whatever OS you want into it and it be the swiss army knife of OS aka Distro fast installation drives ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXMGpV8_Dc start at 1:10 ish.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

So, what would this entail? Is it as simple as moving(copying) files and updating the boot loader file?
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Is the 32G disk an internal sata drive or some other typè? I assumed it is already in your machine and if so what is it used for at present?

You would not just copy the OS files across to the drive to use it as a new root partition hut would have to install in the usual way choosing manual partitioning, pointing root to the 32G disk partition and depending on the current install, using your current /home partition as the new OS home, ensuring you don't format that as you install.
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

ajgreeny wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:55 am Is the 32G disk an internal sata drive or some other typè? I assumed it is already in your machine and if so what is it used for at present?
The system is a hand-me-down from my Dad's engineering firm when he retired. It's a Dell 8500XPS desktop pc with an upgraded (for it's day, :lol:) PNY nVidia GEForce GTX750Ti. The LITEONIT SSD was a bit of a surprise---I think it may have been part of some type of RAID setup? I really have no idea. I also presume it was OE from Dell, although what its original purpose was is guesswork. Came as a complete surprise to me when I installed Linux on it, which does seem to see it as an internal SATA. I was able to determine that there was no data on it, and successfully formatted it as ext4.
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:02 am make it a ventoy drive that you could put whatever OS you want into it and it be the swiss army knife of OS aka Distro fast installation drives ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXMGpV8_Dc start at 1:10 ish.
This is also along the lines of keeping this SSD useful, although, if I understand the video correctly, only for as much as 31-32GB of OS image files--so like maybe 1 or 2 'low rent' ISOs? :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Kylemaul wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:54 am if I understand the video correctly, only for as much as 31-32GB of OS image files--so like maybe 1 or 2 'low rent' ISOs? :lol:
Current Linux Mint isos are < 3GB.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

Moem wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:04 am Current Linux Mint isos are < 3GB.
:lol: :lol: :lol: My age is getting the better of me. Somehow my brain transposed GB as MB... :lol: :lol: :lol:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Be careful with installing the OS on smaller drives, you, potentially, can create more problems for yourself. The best I would use it for is as a data storage disk, but ONLY if I had the spare ports on the MOBO. A 32Gb Usb stick would be cheaper than a case for that drive.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:18 am Be careful with installing the OS on smaller drives, you, potentially, can create more problems for yourself.
Just ran into this very issue. =o
Freed up some space...but now I'm terrified to reboot.
Kylemaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kylemaul »

Ended up going with motoryzen's suggestion. This worked out to be quite advantageous for me, as I was having trouble with a 2nd install of Cinnamon.
I'd mark this as SOLVED, but there are many good ideas, approaches, and suggestions here--feels wrong to single out a single one to mark as the 'best' or 'right' answer...

Return to “Storage”