install with vga to hdmi converter

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mculver
Level 1
Level 1

install with vga to hdmi converter

Post by mculver »

I was successfully booting into Mint 21 installation from a USB flash on an old server with VGA (SVGA? don't know). The monitor was too low resolution to complete the install. I got a VGA to HDMI converter and connected it to a 1080p TV. I can see the BIOS on the TV and I can boot into Windows. I can no longer see the Mint 21 install. The BIOS sees the USB flash and I select it to boot but nothing shows up on the TV screen. I have no way of knowing if something has gone wrong with the USB flash since the last time I used it or if the Mint installation doesn't like the VGA to HDMI converter. Suggestions? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Re: install with vga to hdmi converter

Post by hal8000 »

The problem the forum has got is that there will be very few people using a VGA to HDMI adapter.

VGA was a low spec offeing 640x480 pixel resolution. The VGA to HDMI adapter will upscale this
to HDMI but resolution will still be 640x480, so is not going to make much difference.

There will probably be no kernel module for a VGA to HDMI adapter and probably will not work.

One idea is to borrow or buy a new monitor or upgrade your hardware
Wilop91
Level 4
Level 4

Re: install with vga to hdmi converter

Post by Wilop91 »

mculver wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:59 pm I was successfully booting into Mint 21 installation from a USB flash on an old server with VGA (SVGA? don't know). The monitor was too low resolution to complete the install.
You reached which point when you stopped the install?
You stopped the install because some data was not correctly dispalyed on the screen? Or because some data (buttons?) were out of the screen?
During your install the screen was connected on a VGA port on the motherboard or on a dedicated Graphical Card?

PS: once your install completed, then I guess you could investigate howto use this VGA-HDMI adapter (if at all possible)

W.O.
For my daily use a CLEVO laptop with LM20.1 booting Legacy
And for my testing a Dell laptop with W10, LM20.1 and Manjaro booting UEFI

Return to “Installation & Boot”