Canon LBP3000 - Appears set up but doesn't print

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nulldisposition
Level 1
Level 1

Canon LBP3000 - Appears set up but doesn't print

Post by nulldisposition »

I have an Canon LBP3000 which I am trying to get working with Mint 21.1. I'm current running Mint within a Windows VM (VMWare Workstation 16 Player). Once I get a working set up, I plan to install it on the bare metal.

I downloaded and installed the CAPT drivers from Canon's website, and then connected the printer to the VM. It was detected and set up, and everything looks fine. However, it won't actually print. If I try to print something, the job gets added to the print queue, sits there for a few seconds and then disappears with a "Printing complete" message.

The only thing that seems out of the ordinary, apart from the lack of actual printing, is that the print queue jobs are always listed as 0k in size.

Does anyone have idea what might be happening? I'm basically a noob and my previous attempts at switching to Linux have always been thwarted by this damn printer not working with it. Thanks for you time.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smignot2002
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canon LBP3000 - Appears set up but doesn't print

Post by smignot2002 »

Exact same issue here. Although the file doesn't disappear as "printed", but remains in the queue.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

smignot2002 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:47 pm Exact same issue here. Although the file doesn't disappear as "printed", but remains in the queue.
Then you likely do not have the same issue.

You have
  • the same printer as nulldisposition ?
  • the same Mint version?
  • the CAPT drivers?
  • the same connection method?
Tagging your issue onto nulldisposition's helps neither you nor him. A new thread is the solution.
--
Brian.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

The drivers appear to have been installed correctly by yourself, so the issue is most likely with cups, or an unmet dependency/requirement.

Try this for me via the terminal -

sudo apt install printer-driver-all foomatic-db-engine openprinting-ppds

Then let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps.
nulldisposition
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that command, and while the software was successfully installed, the printer still won't print.
nulldisposition
Level 1
Level 1

As an update, I tried using the following:

https://github.com/hieplpvip/ubuntu_canon_printer

which is a shell-script someone created to install and set up the necessary drivers fpr Canon printers in Ubuntu and (hopefully) its derivatives like Mint.

This has has some effect: the jobs in the print queue aren't all 0k now. However, they still don't print. Instead the job gets stuck at the "Processing" stage indefinitely.
smignot2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smignot2002 »

Hi there,

I still have the same issue here :
* the same printer as nulldisposition ?
* the same Mint version?
* the CAPT drivers were automatically detected by Mint and the printer appears correctly identified (Canon LBP3000)
* the same connection method? USB cable

Any hint? (Except passive-aggressive comments against a newbie looking for a good soul to help out?)
Thanks
smignot2002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smignot2002 »

This is the process that happened on Mint 21 : https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nters.html

Return to “Printers & Scanners”