Remembered Window Position?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nickname
Level 1
Level 1

Remembered Window Position?

Post by nickname »

I use a multi-monitor set-up and when I open an application, I want it to open its window in the same position it was when I last closed it. Is there a flavour of Linux Mint that will remember window placement from one session to the next?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Remembered Window Position?

Post by Hoser Rob »

In Cinnamon I believe there's a setting in Settings > Windows > Behavior for this, but I don't think it works on many programs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

nickname wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:40 am I use a multi-monitor set-up and when I open an application, I want it to open its window in the same position it was when I last closed it. Is there a flavour of Linux Mint that will remember window placement from one session to the next?
'Apparently' distros that can use the KDE desktop (with kwin) can do these types of things, though I don't have any personal experience, therefore not sure about multiple monitors.

I have solved this exact thing a couple of times for other people with the wmctrl command, in conjunction with keyboard shortcuts.
example here viewtopic.php?t=391520

Questions;
How many monitors ?
Which desktop are you using now ? Because you maybe able to use compiz and easily do this.

Can you give us an example of a program you want to open,
And move it where you want it to open then run wmctrl -lG and post the output here.

I have also seen devilspie (and devilspie2) recommended for this job, but see it as even more complicated, because it is script based, even more to learn.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Xfce has a session manager. Maybe that's not exactly the definition here but if you close the session with 4 various windows in places, then you can reopen the next session and those 4 windows would come back the same.

Return to “Beginner Questions”