Superpowered cd

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Superpowered cd

Post by shawnhcorey »

How to superpower cd:

1. Edit your ~/.bash_aliases and add this line:

Code: Select all

export CDPATH=.:~/.cdpath

2. Source the aliases.

. ~/.bash_aliases
3. Create the directory ~/.cdpath

4. Change to the directory and add links to directories you want cd to do a quick jump to.

cd ~/.cdpath
ln -s ~/bin bin
Now you can quickly change to your bin from any other directory:

cd bin
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Superpowered cd

Post by Termy »

That's a really cool feature of BASH. My only reservation is that this non-standard approach could lead to confusing and potentially disastrous results, especially if someone else uses your computer. I would put the exported variable in '~/.bashrc', as it's not an alias and not everyone will have a sourced '~/.bash_aliases' file. An alias is something that uses the alias shell builtin.

My preference is to add a cd alias for a given path:

alias sd="cd /media/$USER"
Well, technically, I use functions and have aliasing completely disabled, but I used to use the above alias. I can see this $CDPATH feature being useful when in a Git repository, where your BASH prompt could set this parameter for when you're in a repository, allowing you to quickly jump around. Then again, the same caution as above applies here too, perhaps more so.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

not everyone will have a sourced '~/.bash_aliases' file.
I agree. I don't have a '~/.bash_aliases' file on my LM 20.3. Not sure why.

I think the bash alias idea is a good one. I might not need it since I have a home-grown program to start a terminal on almost any directory I normally work with. OTOH it might help me out since these newly spawned terminals don't always have the bash history I would like them to have.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:48 am [...]
I'm not even biased against the file, as I've used one for a few years. :D It's nice to have functions and aliases spread out in different files, especially if you have quite a bulky BASH setup. Now everything like this and more is just in '~/.bash_functions' and the regular BASH stuff in '~/.bashrc'. To each their own, of course. BTW, while these filenames coincide with similar BASH files, it's not listed in BASH's man page as core functionality, so from that I can infer that we shouldn't assume this file is a given or be surprised if it's not present — unless this has since changed.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
mintician
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintician »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Scripts & Bash”